January 3, 1985 |
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.
Nicole Beharie (born January 3, 1985) is an American actress and singer. She is known for her roles in American Violet (2008), Shame (2011), and 42 (2013). Since September 2013, she has starred in the Fox fantasy series Sleepy Hollow.
Early life and education
Beharie was born in West Palm Beach, Florida. She attended Orangeburg Wilkinson High School in Orangeburg, South Carolina, and is 2003 graduate of the South Carolina Governor's School for the Arts & Humanities, a public residential high school in Greenville. Beharie was then accepted into the Juilliard School performing arts conservatory (Drama Division Group 36: 2003–2007). She was awarded a Shakespeare scholarship and trained in England.
She made her feature film debut in the 2008 film American Violet, where she played the leading role. Also in the same year she played Sarah Ward in the American sports film, The Express opposite actor Rob Brown. In the Lifetime movie, Sins of the Mother (2010), Beharie portrayed Shay Hunter, a struggling university student who goes on a journey to mend her fractured relationship with her mother Nona played by Jill Scott.
In 2011, she performed five original songs as a singer-songwriter opposite German actor Ken Duken in the romantic comedy My Last Day Without You. In the Russell Leigh Sharman film adaptation of his play Apartment 4E, Beharie played Piper, a troubled young woman who never leaves her apartment. Beharie played Marianne in the Steve McQueen film Shame, about a 30-something sex addict played by Michael Fassbender, his myriad sexual escapades, and what happens when his wayward younger sister (Carey Mulligan) moves in with him. Wesley Morris of The Boston Globe praised her performance, calling her "a marvel of natural transparency". In 2013, Beharie starred as Rachel Robinson, wife of Jackie Robinson (played by Chadwick Boseman), in the historical baseball feature 42. In 2013, she began portraying Abbie Mills on the Fox fantasy series Sleepy Hollow, which is based on the 1820 short story "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" by Washington Irving.
In the June 2012 issue of GQ magazine, Beharie's Shame co-star Michael Fassbender stated that he and Beharie were dating. He stated that they began dating during the promotion of the movie Shame not during the film's production. In January 2013, Beharie announced their split on Twitter.
|2008||American Violet||Dee Roberts|
|2008||The Express||Sarah Ward|
|2011||My Last Day Without You||Leticia Johnson|
|2012||The Last Fall||Faith Davis|
|2012||Woman Thou Art Loosed: On the 7th Day||Beth Hutchins|
|2009||Three Rivers||Helen Reed||Episode: "Win-loss"|
|2010||Sins of the Mother||LaShay Glory "Shay" Hunter||Movie|
|2011||The Good Wife||Imani Stonehouse||Episodes: "Feeding the Rat" and "Marthas and Caitlins"|
|2012||Law and Order: SVU||Tracy Harrison||Episode: "Child's Welfare"|
|2013||Sleepy Hollow||Abbie Mills||Lead role|
2013: My Last Day Without You Original Soundtrack
|2010–11||A Free Man of Color||Margery Jolicoeur||Broadway|
Awards and nominations
|2009||African-American Film Critics||American Violet||Best Actress||Won|
|Women's Film Critics Circle||Best Actress||Nominated|
|2010||Black Reel Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|Best Breakthrough Performance||Nominated|
|2012||Black Reel Awards||My Last Day Without You||Best Song||Nominated|
- "Nicole Beharie Biography - Nicole Beharie Bio". Celebs101.com. 1985-01-03. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- "Three drama alums on Broadway". South Carolina Governor's School for the Arts & Humanities. November 1, 2010.
- "Nicole Beharie talks about Julliard [sic] and 'American Violet'". TheLoop21.com. April 17, 2009. Retrieved May 4, 2009.[dead link]
- "Alumni News". The Juilliard School. March 2010. Archived from the original on 2011-11-11. Retrieved April 7, 2012.
- Osenlund, Kurt R (April 12, 2013). "On the Rise: Nicole Beharie". Slant Magazine. Retrieved September 24, 2013.
- "Celebrities | News". BET. 2011-02-22. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- [dead link]
- "Small Of Her Back". Small Of Her Back. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- "Small of Her Back : Post-Production by Russell Sharman — Kickstarter". Kickstarter.com. 2010-10-18. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- "20 Questions: Theater & Film Ingenue Nicole Beharie - Entertainment Newswire | Black Voices". Bvnewswire.com. 2010-12-14. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- Morris, Wesley. "Down and dirty: Fassbender’s performance as a sex addict is spellbinding, though ‘Shame’ is not". The Boston Globe. Retrieved February 16, 2012.
- Topel, Fred (September 18, 2013). "Exclusive Interview: Nicole Beharie on ‘Sleepy Hollow’ and 42 We talk to Ichabod Crane’s police partner on Fox’s modern day "Sleepy Hollow" about the new take on the horror story, and her landmark role in the biopic 42.". craveonline.com. Retrieved September 24, 2013.
- Ryan Smith (2012-04-24). "Michael Fassbender & Nicole Beharie: new couple!". Vogue.it. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- "Michael Fassbender And ‘Shame’ Co-Star Nicole Beharie Split". inquisitr. 11 January 2013.