||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011)|
Nicole Ruth Cooley is an American poet. Her most recent poetry collection is Breach (Louisiana State University Press, 2009). Her work has appeared in Poetry, Field, Ploughshares, Poetry Northwest, The Paris Review, PEN America, The Missouri Review, The Nation, and Pedagogy. She is co-editing, with Pamela Stone, the “Mother” issue of Women’s Studies Quarterly.
She grew up in New Orleans, Louisiana. She graduated from Brown University and The Iowa Writers' Workshop, and got her Ph.D. from Emory University. Nicole Cooley has taught at Bucknell University. She is currently a professor at Queens College, City University of New York, where she directs the M.F.A. program in Creative Writing and Literary Translation.
- 1994 "Discovery"/The Nation Award for her poetry
- 1995 Walt Whitman Award chosen by Cynthia Macdonald
- 1996 she received a fiction grant from the National Endowment for the Arts
- 2006 Writer Magazine/Emily Dickinson Award
- "Weaning"; "Recto, Verso"; "Overlaying", Womb Poetry, EQUINOX ISSUE 2007
- "Incunabula". Blackbird Review 6 (1). Spring 2007.
- "The Speaking Book". Blackbird Review 6 (1). Spring 2007.
- "Topographies". The Best American Poetry. March 6, 2009.
- "The Flood Notebooks". PEN America. 10: Fear Itself.
- Milk Dress. Alice James Books. 2010. ISBN 978-1-882295-83-8.
- Resurrection. Louisiana State University Press. 1996. ISBN 978-0-8071-2059-0.
- The Afflicted Girls. Louisiana State University Press. 2004. ISBN 978-0-8071-2946-3.
- Breach, Louisiana State University Press, 2009
- The Avant-garde at the End of the Century Gertrude Stein, Postmodernism and Contemporary Women Writers. Emory University. 1996.
- Jennifer Margulis, ed. (2003). Toddler. Seal Press. ISBN 978-1-58005-093-7.
- Andrea J. Buchanan, Amy E. Hudock, ed. (2005). "Thirteen Ways of Looking at being a Mother and a Poet". The Best of Literary Mama. Seal Press. ISBN 978-1-58005-158-3.
- Catherine Wagner, Rebecca Wolff, ed. (2007). Not For Mothers Only. Fence Books. ISBN 978-0-9771064-8-6.
- Elrena Evans, Caroline Grant, ed. (2008). Mama PhD; Women Write about Motherhood and Academic Life. Rutgers University Press. ISBN 978-0-8135-4318-5.
- "Thoughts on Poetry and Disaster". Best American Poetry. March 1, 2009.
- Of English, University of Missouri--Columbia. Dept (1999). The Missouri review.
- "Author's website"
- "Q&A: Nicole Cooley and the New MFA", Kevin Larimer, Poets & Writers, November/December 2007
- "PODCAST: Nicole Cooley reading as the 10th Florie Gale Arons Poet" 10,06,2008, Newcomb College