|Pinyin||Lí Jiāyì (Mandarin)|
|Birth name||Lai Pei Yee|
26 February 1974|
|Died||6 September 2008
|Resting place||Christian Columbarium, The Garden of Remembrance, 920 Old Choa Chu Kang Road, Singapore 699815
|Other name(s)||Niguolai (你过来)|
|Occupation||Singer-songwriter, Backing vocalist, Vocal Trainer, Performer, Record Producer|
|Instrument(s)||Piano, Drums, Guitar|
|Children||Carmen Ang (Daughter)|
Nicole Lai (26 February 1974 in Penang – 6 September 2008) was a Singapore-based Malaysian Chinese singer-songwriter, backing vocalist, vocal trainer and performer. Her nickname Niguolai (你过来) was given to her by her good friend and singer-songwriter, Stefanie Sun. This nickname simply means "You come over" in English.
Professional qualification and training
Nicole had London College of Music Grade 8 (Distinction) qualification and also had undergone modelling training at Mannequin Studio and had received a diploma from Plato Make-Up Academy. Nicole studied vocals in Los Angeles under Jodi Sellards, who has taught David Tao, A-mei (Zhang Hui Mei) and Alex To (Du DeWei).
Vocal instructor, backing vocalist
Nicole has worked with many famous celebrities including Aaron Kwok, Jolin Tsai, Gigi Leung, Sammi Cheng, Jeff Chang, Karen Mok, Na Ying and Stefanie Sun. She has done backup vocals for albums by: Stefanie Sun, Gigi Leung, Sammi Cheng, Aaron Kwok, Jolin Tsai and also has done live backup vocals for Julia Peng and Eric Moo. Nicole was one of the most experienced instructors in Singapore. Beside being a freelance instructor, she also taught at Lee Wei Song School of Music (李偉菘) and Ocean Butterflies (海蝶音樂). She has taught many famous celebrities, including Stefanie Sun, Niki Wu, Huang Yida, Xiao Su Shen. She was also the vocal coach of MediaCorp Artistes including Zoe Tay, Tay Ping Hui, Christopher Lee and Constance Song.
Nicole was a member of the Composers and Authors Society of Singapore (COMPASS). In the year 2003, she won awards for her own composition 梦想家 in the Xinyao Song competition held in Singapore where she was champion in the Vocal Performance Category and 1st runner up in the Composing Category. This same song was selected to become one of the songs for the famous Taiwan TV series called Green Forest, My Home soundtrack album. Nicole also sang on the soundtrack of Singapore's own home-grown movie, Singapore Dreaming "Mei Man Ren Sheng". Nicole has also made appearances herself on television as one of the judges for MediaCorp TV Channel 8’s weekend variety show, PSC Nite 2005 and MediaCorp TV Channel U's S-POP HURRAY song writing competition 2008 show.
Commercial performer, charity work
Nicole was also an avid performer herself, having performed at countless Dinner and Dance events, Family Days, Singapore Town Council events and many other occasions. She has done many jingles including those of Hazeline Snow, Singapore Airlines, McDonald's, Canon, Slimwater and Knife Oil. Under the World Vision Organization child sponsorship programme, Nicole sponsored 4 kids when she was alive. After her death, her friends will launch her EP album at the end of 2008 and proceeds from the CD sales will go to charity and to adopting Nicole’s 4 kids from World Vision.
Nicole was also a songwriting enthusiast, and recently had one of her songs published in Stefanie Sun’s album. Nicole was also a member of the Composers and Authors Society of Singapore (COMPASS), and had songs published in Stefanie Sun’s, Maggie Tang’s, Vivian Hsu’s , Linda and Taiwan TV series called Green Forest, My Home[dead link] soundtrack album. Nicole's own composition of "梦想家" title was renamed to "一個人的星光" (One's Star Light) and sung by William So.
|亲爱的||Vivian Hsu||Co-written with Low Shao Suan|
|一个人的星光 (梦想家)||William So, Xu Jing Lan||Taiwan TV series – Green Forest, My Home[dead link]|
|你我的自由 – Freedom||Nicole Lai||Co-written with Ruth Ling|
Before her death, she wrote the song "你我的自由 – Freedom" which carries a special messages from her – "Freedom is a choice in life. We are all free to make our choices in life, and even if we decide not to make any choice, that in itself is our freedom to choose" ~~With Love...nL.
Many local singer-songwriters attended her CD launch at Lunar on 23 April 2008. They include Lee Wei Song, Lee Shih Shiong, Jim Lim, Kenn C, Wu JiaMing, Ruth Ling, both Peng ChiSheng and Aaron Lim of Intune Music School, Radio DJ Luo Bang Qiang and many of her vocal students too. The CD was sponsored by Stefanie Sun and was given to friends during her wake. Another remembrance EP album is released in September 2009.
|English title||Chinese title||Producer||Arranger||Launch date||Description|
|Freedom||你我的自由||Jim Lim||Kenn C[dead link]||(1) 23 April 2008, (2) 6th to 10th Sept 2008 at her wake||1st launch at Lunar, and 2nd launch sponsored by Stefanie Sun. – See Straits Times news on 26th Sept 2008|
One of Singapore largest entertainment complex, St James Power Station decided to produce an EP album for their Dragonfly Performers in August 2007. Nicole was consulted for this project. In her own premise at Tiong Bahru, she personally trained the performers to ensure everybody is studio ready. The EP album was released by Sony BMG in October 2007. The song that Nicole produced was one of the best track audience selected.
- "新谣前辈：本地音乐成熟了". Stars.zaobao.com. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- Forever in Remembrance ... 永在怀念中 ...[dead link]
- "About Ocean Butterflies". Ob-i.com. 8 February 2003. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- entertainment. "Celebrity Bios on xinmsn Entertainment". Celebs.mediacorptv.sg. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- "Compass". Compass. 10 July 2011. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- "Internet Archive Wayback Machine". Web.archive.org. 26 November 2007. Retrieved 6 January 2012.[dead link]
- "綠光森林". Ttv.com.tw. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- "Download Music". Singaporedreaming.com. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- PSC Nite 2005 From 12 Nov, every Sat @ 8pm
- Hazeline Snow is a moisturizing cream originally marketed by Burroughs Wellcome of the UK. The product was composed of 50% witch hazel but later formulations may have significantly less content. http://www.cosmeticsandskin.com/aba/hazeline-snow.php It is now the brand for a cosmetic cream that is marketed as brightening or providing fair skin for women and girls in Asian and African countries.
- "Worldvision ChinaDesk". Chinadesk.wvkor.org. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- "Sponsor a Child < Home | World Vision – Child Sponsorship". World Vision. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- [dead link][dead link]
- "Muziek | Myspace Music". Imeem.com. 8 December 2011. Retrieved 6 January 2012.[dead link]
- 我挺你[dead link]
- About Ruth Ling
- "Jim Lim". Facebook.com. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- [dead link][dead link]
- "Chi Sheng (冯启胜)". Intunemusic.com.sg. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- "Aaron (林伟强)". Intunemusic.com.sg. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- [dead link][dead link]
- "Wide Awake with Yellow人". Yellowren.com. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- Late singer gets own CD at last[dead link]
- "LUNAR – closed for renovation". Lunar.sg. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- Official MySpace of Nicole Lai – Last login 29 June 2008
- 2003 Xinyao Competition – Semi Final
- 2005 Xinyao Competition
- Li Yun He
- Lucas Events
- SoMA – School of Music and the Arts[dead link]
- InTune Music School
Celebrity response blogs pertaining Nicole's death
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nicole Lai.|