|Nicole Lurie, M.D., M.S.P.H.|
|Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response|
|Alma mater||University of Pennsylvania: M.D.
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA): Residency and M.S.P.H.
Nicole Lurie, M.D., M.S.P.H., is the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). Lurie is a Rear Admiral in the U.S. Public Health Service.
The Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response serves as the Secretary's principal advisor on matters related to bioterrorism and other public health emergencies. The ASPR also coordinates interagency activities between HHS, other Federal departments, agencies, and offices, and State and local officials responsible for emergency preparedness and the protection of the civilian population from acts of bioterrorism and other public health emergencies. The mission of her office is to lead the nation in preventing, responding to and recovering from the adverse health effects of public health emergencies and disasters. Dr. Lurie was nominated to the position by President Obama on May 12, 2009 and her confirmation by the U.S. Senate was announced by HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius on July 10, 2009.
Dr. Lurie has served as the Senior Natural Scientist and the Paul O’ Neill Alcoa Professor of Health Policy at the RAND Corporation. There she directed RAND’s public health and preparedness work as well as RAND’s Center for Population Health and Health Disparities. She has previously served in federal government, as Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of Health in the US Department of Health and Human Services; in state government, as Medical Advisor to the Commissioner at the Minnesota Department of Health; and in academia, as Professor in the University of Minnesota School of Medicine and the University of Minnesota School of Public Health. Dr. Lurie has a long history in the health services research field, primarily in the areas of access to and quality of care, managed care, mental health, prevention, public health infrastructure and preparedness and health disparities.
Lurie has served as the Senior Editor for Health Services Research and has served on editorial boards and as a reviewer for numerous journals. She has served on the council and was President of the Society of General Internal Medicine, and on the board of directors for Academy Health, and has served on multiple other national committees.
Lurie attended college and medical school at the University of Pennsylvania, and completed her residency and Master of Science of Public Health (MSPH) at UCLA, where she was also a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Clinical Scholar.
Lurie is the recipient of numerous awards, including the AHSR Young Investigator Award, the Nellie Westerman Prize for Research in Ethics, the Heroine in Health Care Award, the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine’s Distinguished Alumni Award, and is a member of the Institute of Medicine.
- Biography of Dr. Lurie
- Emergency Support Function #8. Public Health and Medical Services Annex. Federal Emergency Management Agency
- President Obama Announces More Key Administration Posts
- Nominations Confirmed (Civilian) - United States Senate
- HHS Secretary Sebelius Announces Senate Confirmation of Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response Dr. Nicole Lurie
- RAND Awards Paul O’ Neill Alcoa Chair to Dr. Nicole Lurie. RAND Corporation. January 3, 2002
- Past Presidents. Society of General Internal Medicine.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nicole Lurie.|
- Interview with Dr. Lurie
- Haiti: Overview by Dr. Lurie
- H1N1 Influenza, Public Health Preparedness, and Health Care Reform
- Health Care Volunteers and Disaster Response - First, Be Prepared
- Biography of Dr. Nicole Lurie. UPMC Center for Biosecurity.
- Dr. Nicole Luri Testifies on Children and Disasters before the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, Ad Hoc Subcommittee on Disaster Recovery. December 10, 2009
- Dr. Nicole Lurie Testifies on Safeguarding our Nation: HHS Response to the H1N1 Outbreak before Committee on Energy and Commerce, Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations and Subcommittee on Health, U.S. House of Representatives. November, 2009.
- Nicole Lurie Testifies on Safeguarding our Nation: HHS Response to the H1N1 Outbreak before Committee on Homeland Security, Subcommittee on Emerging Threats, CyberSecurity, and Science Technology, United States House of Representatives. October, 2009.
- Dr. Lurie Testifies on Focusing on Children in Disasters: Evacuation Planning and Mental Health Recovery before Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, Ad Hoc Subcommittee on Disaster Recovery. August 4, 2009
- HHS Secretary Sebelius Announces Senate Confirmation of Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response. AllBusiness. July 10, 2009
- Testimony by Dr. Nicole Lurie presented before the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, Subcommittee on Bioterrorism and Public Health Preparedness on March 28, 2006.
- Dr. Nicole Lurie testifies on Public Health Preparedness in California before the California Senate Committee on Health and Human Services on June 2, 2004.