Polizzi at James Madison University, 2010
|Born||Nicole Elizabeth Polizzi
November 23, 1987
|Residence||Marlboro, New York, U.S.|
|Education||Marlboro High School|
|Occupation||Television personality, dancer, professional wrestler|
Nicole Elizabeth "Snooki" Polizzi (born November 23, 1987) is an American reality television personality and dancer who is best known for being a cast member of the MTV reality show Jersey Shore and currently stars in Snooki & Jwoww. Since the show's debut in 2009, Polizzi has gained popularity by appearing on talks shows including The View, The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Jimmy Kimmel Live!, Late Show with David Letterman, and The Wendy Williams Show. She earned $150,000 per Jersey Shore episode, as of season five. She also appeared as the guest hostess for WWE Raw in 2011 and competed at WrestleMania 27 that same year.
Polizzi was born in Santiago, Chile. She was adopted when she was six months old and was raised by Italian American parents. Polizzi's father is a volunteer firefighter and auto-salvage supervisor and her mother is an office manager. Polizzi lives in Marlboro, New York. She identifies as bisexual.
Polizzi received her nickname, Snooki, in middle school when her friends named her after "Snookie", a male character in Save the Last Dance, because she was the first of her friends to kiss a boy. She grew up and attended school in Marlboro, New York, where she was a cheerleader. During high school, she suffered from an eating disorder, at one point weighing 80 pounds (36 kg). Polizzi attended community college after graduating from Marlboro High School, where she studied to become a veterinary technician.
On April 4, Polizzi announced via her website and her Twitter, that she and fiancé, Jionni, are expecting their second child. Giovanna Marie LaValle was born September 26, 2014, weighing in at 6lbs 7oz.
According to results from an autosomal DNA test to determine geographic ancestry which was aired on MTV's Snooki & Jwoww in January 2014, it was revealed that although Polizzi was born in Chile and believed she was "some sort of Spanish", she is in fact a mixture of Romani from northwestern Croatia (i.e. Gypsies originally from Northern India), Romani from Macedonia, Andalusian (I.e. southern Spaniards), Slovak, and Russian. All the previously mentioned ethnic groups have known migratory histories in Polizzi's native Chile, where they (along with many other groups) have been mixing for several centuries. The show did not disclose in what percentages Polizzi is descended from each of these groups. During the same episode, it was also stated by the DNA lab consultant disclosing the results that Polizzi matched as having recent common ancestry with people who identify as South Asian (i.e. from the Indian subcontinent, correlating to her Romani ancestry), Iberian American (i.e. correlating to her Hispanic/mestizo ancestry), Jewish (likely correlating to her ethnic Russian or ethnic Slovak admixture, which is also found among Ashkenazi Jews), Middle Eastern (also likely correlating to her Romani ancestry via Middle Easterners who share that ancestry), and East Asian (which likely comes from the Native American ancestry).
Polizzi and her boyfriend, Justin, appeared in episode 14, "Jerz Pud".
Polizzi became part of the reality TV series Jersey Shore after being scouted by the casting director, Josh Allouche, an employee of Doron Ofir Casting. The New York Times identified her as "the breakout member of the cast". According to The New York Times, her actions on the show have caused her to be the target of public disdain while having a "strange appeal". One reported measure of her appeal was that she was one of the most popular celebrity Halloween costumes of 2010. Polizzi's popularity on the first season of Jersey Shore, which earned her $5,000 per episode, now earns her $30,000 per episode. While shooting in Seaside Heights, Polizzi was punched in the face by New York City school gym teacher Brad Ferro. The punch, while shown in previews, was blacked out during showings of the episode. Videos of the punch went viral on YouTube and were featured in many news media. After the punch was made public, Polizzi's appearance fees increased from $2,000 per event to $10,000 per event.
In 2011, Polizzi and her Jersey Shore costar, Jennifer Farley, signed a contract to star in a spin-off show, Snooki & Jwoww, which premiered on MTV in June 2012. The first season followed Polizzi and Farley moving in together, and they describe their show like a modern-day Laverne & Shirley. 495 Productions filmed the first season over the course of six weeks at a former two-story firehouse located near Grove and Mercer Streets in Jersey City, New Jersey. The second season relocated to the stars' actual permanent residences and began airing on January 8, 2013. This season had an expanded one-hour episode format. The March 2012 confirmation of Polizzi's pregnancy raised speculation as to how the creative direction of her spin-off would be affected, as she would be unable to engage in the "hard-partying, booze-swilling" antics that had previously garnered high ratings for MTV.
Other television appearances
Polizzi was a presenter at the 2010 CMT Music Awards. On July 27, 2010, the cast of Jersey Shore appeared at the New York Stock Exchange and Polizzi rang the opening bell. Polizzi and the cast of Jersey Shore appeared at the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards on September 12, 2010. Polizzi also appeared on TLC's Cake Boss episode "Snookie, Super Anthony & a Ship" on November 8, 2010, in which she orders a cake for her mom. On November 7, 2010, Polizzi appeared at the MTV Europe Music Awards in Madrid, Spain. She was subsequently parodied in the South Park episode "It's a Jersey Thing", and is frequently parodied on Saturday Night Live by actor Bobby Moynihan.[episode needed] She also hosted the New Year's Eve special MTV's Club New Year's Eve 2013 with Jwoww and Jeff Dye on December 31, 2012 from Times Square to ring in 2013.
Polizzi made an appearance on the March 14, 2011 episode of WWE Monday Night Raw, where she got into a brawl with LayCool, which led to the formation of a six-person Mixed Tag Team match at WrestleMania XXVII. Polizzi and her partners Trish Stratus and John Morrison won the match. On December 12, 2011 on WWE RAW, she was awarded the WWE 2011 A-Lister of the Year Slammy Award which she accepted via satellite.
On September 4, 2013, it was announced on Good Morning America that Snooki participated on the 17th season of Dancing with the Stars, partnered with newcomer Sasha Farber. They were eliminated on October 28, 2013, coming in 8th place despite receiving good scores and comments from the judges.
Dancing with the Stars performances (Average: 25.0):
|Week #||Dance/Song||Judges' score||Result|
|1||Cha-cha-cha / "Wild Ones"||8||8||7||No Elimination|
|2||Rumba / "Just Give Me a Reason"||6||7||7||Safe|
|3||Quickstep / "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend"||9||8||8||Safe|
|4||Jive / "Mickey"||8||8||8||Safe|
|5||Jazz / "Work Bitch"||9||9||9||Safe|
|6||Foxtrot / "Build Me Up Buttercup"
Switch-Up Challenge / Various
|7||Samba / "Hey Mama[disambiguation needed]"
Team Freestyle / "Bom Bom"
In January 2011, Polizzi's book, A Shore Thing, was released: it described her search for love on the boardwalk. Despite a promotional campaign that included appearances by Polizzi on The View, The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Jimmy Kimmel Live! and the Late Show with David Letterman, the book was not a sales success, selling approximately 9,000 copies within its first month of release, during which it accumulated 16 one-star customer reviews on Amazon.com. One publishing executive said that the book sold poorly because "rather than a tell-all, it was disguised as a novel."
In April 2011, Polizzi was paid $32,000 to speak at Rutgers University. Topics she spoke about included what being a celebrity is like, and also what she thinks is important in school, including the advice "Study hard, but party harder". Some students complained the school's money would've been better used on speakers other than Polizzi. Rutgers spokesman Steve Manas responded that the extension of the invitation to Polizzi was the result of canvassing by students who indicated who they wanted to invite. Over 1,000 people attended Polizzi's engagement.
Polizzi's third novel, Gorilla Beach was released on May 15, 2012. The novel is a sequel to Polizzi's first novel, A Shore Thing.
In January 2012, Polizzi's Team Snooki Boxing co-promoted a cooperative venture with Final Round Promotions, a boxing card at Resorts Casino Hotel in Atlantic City, featuring Irish featherweight boxer Patrick Hyland fighting and winning in the main event before a capacity crowd. Patrick Hyland's two brothers Eddie and Paul, also boxers, appeared in preliminary bouts. The event attracted considerable publicity in the boxing press.
In February 2013, Polizzi sold her customized 2011 Cadillac Escalade EXT on eBay for $77,510, earning her $15,000 more than what a standard 2011 Escalade EXT with similar mileage would cost. The pickup truck was customized with hot-pink grilles, wheels and badges, wrapped in black vinyl lizard skin, and leopard-print floor mats.
On July 30, 2010, Polizzi was arrested in Seaside Heights, New Jersey for disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct, and criminal annoyance of others. In a September 8 plea bargain in which the latter two charges were dropped, Judge Damian G. Murray sentenced her to a $500 fine and community service. In handing down the sentence, he characterized Polizzi as "a Lindsay Lohan wannabe". Her arrest was taped during production of season three of Jersey Shore.
On May 31, 2011 in Florence, Italy, Polizzi was briefly taken into custody by local police after the car she was driving collided with a parked traffic police car. According to Italian police, Polizzi was cited and released. Two police officers sustained minor injuries.
In late 2011, Polizzi sued SRG Ventures, a licensing company she had signed with a year earlier to bring out Snooki-branded merchandise such as watches, shoes, lingerie and school supplies, for breach of contract. She alleged the company had failed to adequately seek such licensing opportunities. The company countersued, alleging she and her manager had undermined its efforts by negotiating directly with manufacturers and delaying their decisions.
|2009||Is She Really Going Out with Him?||Herself||Episode 14 "Jerz Pud"|
|2009-12||Jersey Shore||Herself||Housemate & "Breakout star"|
|2010||When I Was 17||Herself||Season 2, Ep. 20|
|2010||Cake Boss||Herself||Ep. "Snookie, Super Anthony & a Ship"|
|2011||WWE Raw||Herself||Celebrity Guest Host|
|2012–present||Snooki & Jwoww||Herself||Main Cast|
|2012||The Three Stooges||Herself||Cameo|
|2012||MTV's Club New Year's Eve 2013||Herself||Hosted with JWoww & Jeff Dye|
|2013||MTV's ChallengeMania: Road to Rivals II||Herself||Hosted with Kenny Santucci|
|2013||Dancing with the Stars||Herself||Season 17; Participant|
|2014||Supernatural||Herself||Season 9; "Blade Runners"|
Awards and nominations
Teen Choice Awards
|2007||Razzie Awards||"Worst Screen Couple" (shared with Any Combination of Two Cast Members from Jersey Shore)||Nominated|
|2010||Teen Choice Awards||"Choice TV: Female Reality/Variety Star"||Nominated|
|2011||Teen Choice Awards||"Choice TV: Female Reality/Variety Star"||Nominated|
|2011||WWE Slammy Awards||"A-Lister of the Year"||Won|
|2012||Teen Choice Awards||"Choice TV: Female Reality/Variety Star"||Nominated|
- "Snooki: Yes, I'm Pregnant and Engaged!". Us Weekly. March 7, 2012. Retrieved March 7, 2012.
- "Larger than life Snooki wears a rather unflattering feather dress to her birthday party". Daily Mail. November 23, 2010. Retrieved March 7, 2011. "The reality star, who actually turns 23 on Tuesday [Nov. 23, 2010] ..."
- "Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi Net Worth". Celebrity Net Worth. Retrieved April 23, 2012.
- Horyn, Cathy (July 23, 2010). "Snooki's Time". The New York Times. Retrieved March 7, 2011.
- "'Jersey Shore' Stars All Full-Fledged Italian? Fuggedaboutit!". Access Hollywood. NBCNewYork.com. February 17, 2010. Retrieved March 7, 2011.
- Erik Hedegaard (March 17, 2011). "Snooki!". Rolling Stone.
- Michelson, Noah (February 7, 2012). "The Jersey Shore's Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi And Jennifer 'JWoww' Farley Discuss Sexuality, Feminism, And More". Huffington Post. Retrieved February 8, 2012.
- "Snooki: I Would Consider Myself Bisexual". toofab. February 7, 2012. Retrieved February 8, 2012.
- "Snooki". How Vogue likes them. Vogue.it. Retrieved April 3, 2012.
- Pepey, Tracy (January 20, 2010). "Snooki of 'Jersey Shore' Battled an Eating Disorder". iVillage. Retrieved March 7, 2011.
- "Snooki's fiancee and is pregnant". E! Online. March 8, 2012.
- "Snooki Gives Birth to a Boy". People. August 26, 2012.
- "'Jersey Shore' star Snooki loses 42 pounds, poses in bikini post baby". March 6, 2013.
- "Primetime in No Time: Recaps & Clips From Last Night's Shows | Yahoo TV". Tv.yahoo.com. 2011-04-20. Retrieved 2014-02-23.
- "Snooki: Before She Was on Jersey Shore!". US magazine. January 11, 2010. Retrieved November 27, 2010.
- "MTV's Is She Really Going Out With Him? Ep.14, Jerz Pud". MTV.com. July 7, 2009. Retrieved November 27, 2010.
- Ward, Michelle (October 29, 2010). "Lady Gaga and Snooki Are Top Bestselling Celebrity Costumes". People magazine. Retrieved November 11, 2010.
- Jackson, Joe (December 11, 2009). "Nicole (Snooki) Polizzi, MTV 'Jersey Shore' cast member, punched by Queens teacher Brad Ferro: cops". New York Daily News. Retrieved April 1, 2011.
- ""Jersey Shore" Punch Thrown By Brad Ferro, Queens Teacher (VIDEO)". Huffington Post. December 11, 2009. Retrieved April 1, 2011.
- Callahan, Maureen (March 6, 2011). "Dejected former teacher who punched Snooki joins Army". New York Post.
- Powers, Lindsay (March 7, 2011). "Man Who Punched Jersey Shore's Snooki Enlists in Army". The Hollywood Reporter.
- O'Connor, Maureen (January 13, 2010). "The Rising Price of Snooki: A Comparative Analysis of Jersey Shore Appearance Fees". Gawker.
- "MTV ANNOUNCES TWO "JERSEY SHORE" SPINOFFS" (Press release). MTV. April 7, 2011. Retrieved April 14, 2011.
- "PHOTOS: Snooki, JWoww move into old Jersey City firehouse for 'Jersey Shore' spinoff". NJ.com. February 26, 2012.
- "Snooki, JWoww: 'Jersey Shore' spinoff will be a modern-day 'Laverne & Shirley'". Fox News. February 8, 2012.
- Huff, Richard (February 8, 2012). "MTV’s JWoww and Snooki spin into Jersey City after being kicked to the curb in Hoboken". Daily News.
- "Snooki confirms pregnancy, first thought was 'I've been drinking'". New York Post. March 7, 2012
- "Snooki lied — she’s preggers". New York Post. February 29, 2012
- Collins, Scott. (February 29, 2012). "Snooki pregnancy reports cloud MTV 'Jersey Shore' spinoff". Los Angeles Times.
- Vena, Jocelyn (March 1, 2012). "Snooki Pregnancy Rumors Continue To Swirl". MTV.
- Gilbert, Calvin (June 9, 2010). "News: It's Carrie Underwood's Night at the 2010 CMT Music Awards". CMT. Retrieved November 27, 2010.
- Lee, Joyce (July 27, 2010). "'Jersey Shore' Cast Rings Opening Bell at New York Stock Exchange". CBS News. Retrieved March 7, 2011.
- "Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi: Biography, Latest News & Videos". TVGuide.com. September 9, 2010. Retrieved March 7, 2011.
- "SNOOKI IS RAW".
- Bierly, Mandi. (September 4, 2013) 'Dancing with the Stars': Season 17 cast announced | Inside TV | EW.com. Insidetv.ew.com. Retrieved on December 13, 2013.
- Rosenthal, Phil (October 3, 2010). "Literary world snookered by glitterati authors". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved October 15, 2010.
- Halperin, Shirley. "Despite Media Blitz, Snooki's 'Shore Thing' Fails to Sell", The Hollywood Reporter, January 27, 2011
- Friedman, Megan. "Shocker: Snooki Book Not A Shore Thing in Sales", Time magazine, January 29, 2011
- Saad, Nardine (April 1, 2011). "Nicole 'Snooki' Polizzi talks at Rutgers for $32,000 about what it takes to be Snooki". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved February 9, 2012
- Brissey, Breia (May 15, 2012). "Snooki's new novel 'Gorilla Beach': I read it so you don't have to!". Entertainment Weekly.
- Brizel, Robert (February 1, 2012). "Irish Patrick Hyland Goes To 25-0 At Resorts". SaddoBoxing.com.
- "Snooki sells pink-on-black Cadillac for Jersey-quality payday". Yahoo! Auto. Motoramic. Retrieved February 26, 2013.
- Parry, Wayne (September 8, 2010). "MTV's 'Snooki' fined $500 for bothering beachgoers". The Seattle Times. Associated Press. Retrieved March 7, 2011.
- Lu, Anne (May 31, 2011). "MTV's Snooki crashes into police patrol car in Florence, Causes traffic jam". AHN. All Headline News. Retrieved May 31, 2011.
- Hyman, Vicki. "'Jersey Shore': Snooki countersued for $7 million by licensing company".
- "Razzie Awards 2013: Full List of Nominees". ABCNEWS.com. February 23, 2013. Retrieved May 3, 2014.
- "2011 Slammy Award Winners". WWE.com. December 12, 2011. Retrieved May 3, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nicole Polizzi.|