Niels Eje has composed and arranged a large repertoire for different classical ensembles as well as music for concerts, theatre, TV and documentaries. He is the founder of Trio Rococo (harp, Berit Spaelling, oboe Niels Eje, and cello, Inge Mulvad,) whose album 'Norwegian Wood' was released worldwide.
Niels Eje has participated on several recordings with various artists in a number of genres, including with Miles Davis on the album Aura, and with Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen, Berit Spaelling, Inge Mulvad in the album In the Name of Music
In 1998 Niels Eje founded the interdisciplinary project Musica Humana Research together with Professor Lars Heslet, Copenhagen University Hospital. The research projects were aimed at creating a new specially designed music environment in hospitals and with scientific methods documenting the effect. The music and research documentation is published under the name MusiCure.
Grants & Awards
- Jacob Gade Grant
- Børge Schrøder and Herta Finnerups grant for special achievements in music
- The "Jante Knuser Cultural Award" 2001 for best entrepreneur activity in the field of "cultural business" idea in Denmark - given to Niels Eje by the Ministry of Economic and Business Affairs, Denmark.
- Gold Award for the Trio Rococo recording "Classical Mystery Tour/Norwegian Wood"
- 2007 Blair Sadler Award
Selected list of works
- Faries and Tales dedicated to James Galway and Safri Duo
- Pip’s Theme, from Great Expectations by Charles Dickens for oboe, cello, harp and electronics
- Biddy, from Great Expectations, violin/flute and piano
- Miss HavishamHouse, violin, harp and electronics
- Estella, violin, cello, harp
- Fragile Light, oboe, cello, harp and electronics( Trio Rococo)
- Infinity, oboe, cello and harp (Trio Rococo)
- Asian Echoes, oboe, cello and harp (trio Rococo)
- Sakhalin Fantasy, flute, oboe, cello and piano
- The Power of The Harp, harp solo ( Berit Spaelling)
- Ablaze suite The Vikings Large ensemble and soprano
- Sakura suite Japanese folk songs for piano and wind quintet
- Octoman, wind octet
- Oboe in Orbit, oboe and electronics
- The Storyteller, large ensemble and electronics
- Great Expectations suite, after Dickens (Ablaze)
- More than 30 titles for the Musica Humana research project
- 1985: Aura: Columbia Records, COL 463351 2, Miles Davis. Danish Radio Big Band. Conductor and composer: Palle Mikkelborg.
- 1988: Trio Rococo Sonata and Divertimenti: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart arranged by Niels Eje
- 1991: Trio Rococo Crystal Silence, Music by Chick Corea, Mikkelborg, Thomas Clausen and Niels Eje
- 1992: Trio Rococo plays Rococo Trio. Music by Johann Wilhelm Hertel and Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach Arr. by Niels Eje.
- 1994: Classical Mystery Tour'’, Trio Rococo plays The Beatles Gefion Records GFO 20112
- 1996: Trio Rococo Friends music by Brian Wilson Paul Simon and Niels Eje. Gefion Records GFO 20120
- 1997: Ablaze, Music by Niels Eje, Gefion Records GFO 20112
- 1998: In The Name Of Music, Trio Rococo and NHOP Gefion Records 3672634848639
- 2002: Danish Songs, Tritonus Choir & Trio Rococo. Arr. by John Höybye and Niels Eje. Exlibris
- 2003–2008 The MusiCure series: The Journey, Equator, Fairy Tales, Northern Light, Seasons, Waves, Horizons and Peace. Released by Gefion Records.