|Intercommunality||Monts de Flandres - Plaine de la Lys|
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Michel Vandevoorde|
|• Land1||17.3 km2 (6.7 sq mi)|
|• Population2 density||430/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||59431 / 59850|
|Elevation||12–21 m (39–69 ft)
(avg. 16 m or 52 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
- 1962: 4,997
- 1968: 5,341
- 1975: 6,903
- 1982: 7,238
- 1990: 7,417
- 1999: 7,470
It is situated by the Belgian border. It is located from Armentières and is also located 42 km southeast of Dunkerque or Dunkirk and is connected with the A25 (15 km) to Lille and the Departmental route 933. The bounding municipality in Belgium includes Heuvelland.
- 1790-1802: Jean-Marc Chieus
- 1802-1837: Constant Watelet de Messange
- 1837-1841: Pierre Portebois
- 1841-1848: Charles Vanmerris
- 1848-1865: Cyrille Delangre-Salembié
- 1865-1870: Edmond Watelet de Messange
- 1870-1871: Félix Gokelaere
- 1871-1875: Hippolyte Delbecque
- 1875-1890: Louis Loridan
- 1890-1898: Hippolyte Delbecque
- 1898-1906: Hector Pollet
- 1906-1939: Henri Vanuxeem
- 1939-1968: Jules Houcke
- 1968-1972: Renée Houcke
In its point of its economic view, Nieppe suffered numerous invasions and wars which devastated the area, especially the profit of strategic position of the heart of the agricultural area and more European productives, its strategic axis Lille-Dunkirk via Bailleuil and Kassel, the axis, the today's A25.
|The arms of Nieppe are blazoned :
Quarterly 1&4: Sable, 6 bezants 3,2,1(Or); 2&3: Argent, a chevron between 3 roses gules.
Points of interests
- A local historic museum
- Château de Nieppe - features a treasue legend, its part and a centennial tree
- War cemeteries of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission:
Nieppe features its own football (soccer) club FC Nieppe and its handball club (team). Nieppe also has a library named after Maurice Schumann, its painting and music school and K'Dane (a Nieppe (Nieppoise) dance school). Miss Cantine was created during the Second World War and was recreated and named on March 31, 2007. It features several funny faces on the solidarity of several Nieppois residents. Opened by Jules Houcke, mayor of Nieppe created and alimented a scholar cantine, opened equally for old people of the commune.
- INSEE commune file
- Description du département du Nord (Description of the Nord Department) by François Joseph Grille (d'Angers) Paris, Ed Sazerac & Duval, 1825-1830 (started in 1824) (French)
- Ville de Nieppe