Nigel Warburton (born 1962) is a philosopher. He is best known as a populariser of philosophy, having written a number of books in the genre, but he has also written academic works in aesthetics and applied ethics.
Warburton received a BA from the University of Bristol and a PhD from Darwin College, Cambridge, and was a lecturer at the University of Nottingham before joining the Department of Philosophy at the Open University in 1994. In May 2013, he resigned from the position of Senior Lecturer at the Open University.
He is the author of a number of introductory Philosophy books, including the bestselling Philosophy: The Basics (4th ed.), Philosophy: The Classics (4th ed.), and Thinking from A to Z (3rd ed.); he also edited Philosophy: Basic Readings (2nd ed.) and was the co-author of Reading Political Philosophy: Machiavelli to Mill. He has written extensively about photography, particularly about Bill Brandt, and wrote a biography of the modernist architect Ernő Goldfinger. He regularly teaches courses on philosophy and art at Tate Modern and writes a monthly column "Everyday Philosophy" for Prospect magazine.
He runs a philosophy weblog Virtual Philosopher and with David Edmonds regularly podcasts interviews with top philosophers on a range of subjects at Philosophy Bites. He also podcasts chapters from his book Philosophy: The Classics.
- Philosophy: The Basics (4th ed.) ISBN 978-0-415-32773-2
- Philosophy: The Classics (4th ed.) ISBN 978-0-415-53466-6
- Thinking from A to Z (3rd ed.) ISBN 978-0-415-43371-6
- The Art Question
- Ernö Goldfinger: The Life of An Architect
- Free Speech: A Very Short Introduction ISBN 978-0-19-923235-2
- "Philosophy Bites" (co-edited with David Edmonds) ISBN 978-0-19-957632-6
- A Little History of Philosophy ISBN 978-0-300-15208-1
- Baggini, Julian & Jeremy Stangroom (eds.) New British Philosophy, p. 272. Routledge, 2002. ISBN 0-415-24346-7.
- "Faculty of Arts: Department of Philosophy". Open University. Retrieved 2007-09-04.
- "Nigel Warburton, virtual philosopher". The Philosophers Magazine. Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- "Nigel Warburton CV at PFD". PFD Group Ltd. Archived from the original on 2007-10-24. Retrieved 2007-09-04.
|This biography of a British philosopher is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|