Rail replacement service
|Owner||Transport for NSW|
|Operator(s)||Punchbowl Bus Company
Transit Systems Sydney
Transdev Shorelink Buses
|2002||N1 service discontinued|
|2009||N100 service introduced|
|2011||N61 service introduced|
|2011||N71 service reintroduced|
NightRide is a network of bus routes in operation between midnight and 05:00 in Sydney, Australia. The eleven routes are run by private bus operators and allow for a nightly shutdown of the Sydney Trains commuter rail network. Established by the New South Wales Ministry of Transport and monitored by Transport for NSW, NightRide has been in operation since June 1989. It is designed to provide for track maintenance, lower running costs and improved customer safety.
Most services run from George Street outside Town Hall railway station. The NightRide network closely mirrors the Sydney Trains network, with allowances made for the fact that major roads and railway lines often follow quite different alignments.
Sydney Trains tickets are valid on NightRide services, provided they are a Return ticket or higher (Single journey tickets are not valid). Single (one-way) tickets may also be purchased from the driver. Bus drivers may set-down passengers at local bus stops on route between designated NightRide stops.
NightRide buses operate between midnight and 04:30 on a 30-minute frequency on Saturday and Sunday mornings, and hourly on other nights. Sydney Trains services operate all other times.
- N10: Town Hall to Sutherland, via Rockdale and Hurstville
- N11: Town Hall to Cronulla, via Rockdale and Hurstville
- N20: Rockdale to Riverwood
- N30: Town Hall to Macarthur, via Canterbury and Liverpool
- N40: Town Hall to East Hills, via Bankstown and Padstow. Operated by Transdev NSW.
- N50: Town Hall to Liverpool, via Regents Park and Fairfield
- N60: Town Hall to Fairfield, via Granville and Parramatta
- N61: Town Hall to Carlingford, via Clyde (Friday, Saturday and Sunday Night Service)
- N70: Town Hall to Penrith, via Parramatta and Blacktown
- N71: Town Hall to Richmond, via Parramatta and Blacktown (Friday, Saturday and Sunday Night Service). This service was first trialled in the early 2000 but was discontinued in 2002. It was reinstated in October 2011.
- N80: Town Hall to Hornsby, via Epping. Operated by Transdev Shorelink.
- N90: Town Hall to Hornsby, via North Sydney and Chatswood; some services terminate at Gordon. Operated by Transdev Shorelink.
- N100: Railway Square to Bondi Junction, via Martin Place (Friday, Saturday and Sunday Night Service)
NightRide services N61 and N71 commenced on 23 October 2011.