Night & Day Big Band
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013)|
|Night and Day: Big-Band|
|Studio album by Chicago|
|Released||May 23, 1995|
|Recorded||December 1994 - January 1995|
Night & Day: Big Band is the eighteenth studio album by the American band Chicago, and twenty-second overall, released in 1995. It is a departure from Top 40 material for a more thematic project, with a focus on classic big band and swing music.
Chicago left Reprise Records and started their own imprint, Chicago Records, to re-distribute their music. This album was carried by Giant Records, a subsidiary of Warner Music, who also distributes Reprise.
With producer Bruce Fairbairn, Chicago recorded Night & Day: Big Band from late 1994 to early 1995 and released it that May. Although Bruce Gaitsch played guitar on the sessions, the guitar slot would eventually be filled that year by Keith Howland, who remains Chicago's present guitarist. Joe Perry of Aerosmith was brought in to add a solo to "Blues in the Night."
The album reached #90 in the US, on the Billboard 200 chart.
- "Chicago" – 3:06
- "Caravan" – 3:23
- "Dream a Little Dream of Me" – 3:12
- "Goody Goody" – 4:05
- "Moonlight Serenade" (Glenn Miller) – 4:26
- "Night and Day" (Cole Porter) – 5:36
- "Blues in the Night" – 6:05
- "Sing, Sing, Sing" (Louis Prima) – 3:21
- "Sophisticated Lady" – 5:11
- "In the Mood" – 3:43
- "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" – 3:38
- "Take The "A" Train" – 5:36
- Bill Champlin - keyboards, guitar, vocals
- Bruce Gaitsch - guitar
- Tris Imboden - drums, harmonica
- Robert Lamm - keyboards, vocals
- Lee Loughnane - trumpet, flugelhorn, brass arrangements
- James Pankow - trombone, brass arrangements
- Walter Parazaider - woodwinds
- Jason Scheff - bass guitar, vocals
- Vocal arrangements by Bill Champlin, Robert Lamm & Jason Scheff
- Luis Conte - percussion
- Jack Duncan - percussion on "Night and Day"
- Sal Ferreras - percussion on "Night and Day"
- The Gipsy Kings (Nicolas Reyes & Patchai Reyes) - vocals and guitars on "Sing, Sing, Sing"
- Jade - vocals on "Dream A Little Dream of Me"
- Joe Perry - guitar solo on "Blues In The Night"
- Paul Shaffer - piano on "Dream A Little Dream of Me"
- Bruce Fairbairn - trumpet solo on "Chicago"
- Tonino Baliardo - lead guitar on "Sing, Sing, Sing"
- Shelly Berg - orchestrations
- Shelly Berg & Bill Watrous - big band arrangements
- Produced by Bruce Fairbairn
- The Gipsy Kings co-produced with Gerard Prevost
- John Kalodner – John Kalodner
- Engineered and Mixed by Erwin Musper
- Second Engineer – Mike Plotnikoff
- Assistant Engineers – Delwyn Brooks and Robbes Stieglitz
- Mastered by Bernie Grundman
- Art Direction – Larry Vigon
- Design – Larry Vigon and Brian Jackson
- Cover Photo – Hugh Kretschmer
- Inside Photo – Guy Webster
- Management – HK Management/Howard Kaufman and Peter Schivarelli