Night Moves (2013 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Kelly Reichardt|
|Produced by||Saemi Kim
|Screenplay by||Jonathan Raymond
|Music by||Jeff Grace|
|Edited by||Kelly Reichardt|
|Maybach Film Productions
Tipping Point Productions
|Running time||113 minutes|
Night Moves is a 2013 American drama film directed by Kelly Reichardt and written by Reichardt and Jonathan Raymond. Starring Jesse Eisenberg, Dakota Fanning, Peter Sarsgaard, Alia Shawkat, and James LeGros, the film was shown in the main competition section of the 70th Venice International Film Festival and at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival.
Deadline.com described the film as about "three radical environmentalists who come together to execute the most spectacular direct action event of their lives: the explosion of a hydroelectric dam."
Three activists - Josh, Dena, and Harmon - plot to blow up a dam.
- Jesse Eisenberg as Josh
- Dakota Fanning as Dena
- Peter Sarsgaard as Harmon
- Alia Shawkat as Surprise
- Logan Miller as Dylan
- Kai Lennox as Sean
- Katherine Waterston as Anne
- James LeGros as Feed factory clerk
Edward R. Pressman Film filed a lawsuit in September 2012, demanding that filming cease because of too many similarities to Edward Abbey's novel The Monkey Wrench Gang, planned to be adapted into an authorized film by Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman. The lawsuit charged: "By way of example only, both works feature the targeting of a dam for destruction by means of ammonium fertilizer-laden boats. In the Novel, the principal bomb-maker is a beer-guzzling veteran who served overseas as a Green Beret, where he acquired his knowledge of explosives. The bomb-maker in Night Moves is a beer-guzzling veteran who served overseas as a U.S. Marine, where he acquired his knowledge of explosives. Both the Novel and Night Moves also feature a 20-something woman who starts out as a companion of another member of the group but develops a sexual relationship with the bomb-making veteran, despite his initial objections to her participation in the group's illegal activities."
Night Moves received generally positive reviews, currently holding an 84% "fresh" rating on review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes based on 93 reviews; the consensus states: "A uniquely character-driven thriller with a finely composed cast and some outstanding direction from Kelly Reichardt, Night Moves bolsters its thought-provoking themes with compelling drama." On Metacritic, based on 35 critics, the film has a 75/100 rating, signifying "generally favorable reviews".
- "NIGHT MOVES (15)". Soda Pictures. British Board of Film Classification. July 22, 2014. Retrieved July 23, 2014.
- "Night Moves (2014) - International Box Office Results". Box Office Mojo. Internet Movie Database. Retrieved July 23, 2014.
- "Venezia 70". labiennale. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "Venice film festival 2013: the full line-up". The Guardian (London). July 25, 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- "Toronto film festival 2013: the full line-up". The Guardian (London). July 23, 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- Fleming, Mike (September 9, 2012). "Toronto: Match Factory Selling Kelly Reichardt's Night Moves, With Jesse Eisenberg, Dakota Fanning, Peter Sarsgaard". Deadline.com. Retrieved July 26, 2013.
- Gardner, Eriq (September 14, 2012). "Producer Launches Legal War Over New Eco-Terrorist Film Starring Jesse Eisenberg". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 26, 2013.
- Patten, Dominic (September 15, 2012). "Night Moves Director, Producers, UTA Sued By Edward Pressman & Edward Abbey Widow For Copyright Infringement". Deadline.com. Retrieved July 26, 2013.
- "Night Moves". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved July 23, 2014.
- "Night Moves Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved July 23, 2014.
- Night Moves at the Internet Movie Database
- Night Moves at Box Office Mojo
- Night Moves at Rotten Tomatoes
- Night Moves at Metacritic