Italian theatrical poster
|Directed by||Mario Caiano
(credited as Allen Grünewald)
|Produced by||Carlo Caiano|
|Written by||Mario Caiano
Fabio De Agostini
|Music by||Ennio Morricone|
|Edited by||Renato Cinquini|
|Distributed by||Allied Artists Pictures Corporation|
|Release dates||16 July 1965|
|Running time||101 min, 90 min (English Edited version)|
Nightmare Castle (Italian title:Gli Amanti d'oltretomba) is a 1965 Italian gothic horror film directed by Mario Caiano credited as Allen Grünewald. The film stars Barbara Steele in dual lead roles, and its music was composed by Ennio Morricone.
The film has several variations in the title and is also known as Night of the Doomed in the United Kingdom, Lovers Beyond the Grave and The Faceless Monster. It has been dubbed into English in an edited release in 1968. It was released to VHS and DVD in the 1990s with a longer cut of the film in Italian with English subtitles. It was later released to the public domain and became a cult film.
An evil count tortures and murders his unfaithful wife and her lover, then removes their hearts from their bodies. Discovering that his wife has drawn up a new will giving her fortune to her institutionalized sister, the count marries his sister-in-law. The new wife experiences nightmares and hauntings. The ghosts of the slain return to exact their bloody revenge, until their hearts are destroyed.
- Barbara Steele ... Muriel Arrowsmith / Jenny Arrowsmith
- Paul Muller ... Dr. Stephen Arrowsmith (as Paul Miller)
- Helga Liné ... Solange
- Laurence Clift ... Dr. Dereck Joyce (as Lawrence Clift)
- Giuseppe Addobbati ... Jonathan (as John McDouglas)
- Rik Battaglia ... David
The film has been called "a sadistic movie".
- Hughes, Howard (2011). Cinema Italiano - The Complete Guide From Classics To Cult. London - New York: I.B.Tauris. ISBN 978-1-84885-608-0.
- Hughes, p.88
- Nightmare Castle at the Internet Movie Database
- Nightmare Castle is available for free download at the Internet Archive [more]
- Nightmare Castle at AllMovie
|This article related to an Italian film of the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 1960s horror film-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|