Nikki Hayes at the 2009 Meteor Awards
|Birth name||Eimear O'Keeffe|
|Born||May 7, 1979|
|Time slot||Mon-Friday 9:45-12:45|
Hayes joined RTÉ 2fm from Spin 1038 in November 2003 after a career of pirating. She obtained a show of her own during the weekends. Then, when Rick O'Shea moved along to present the now defunct The Rick & Ruth Breakfast Show, Hayes replaced him and in doing so was given her own weekday show which was broadcast from Monday until Thursday from 20:00 until 22:00. In March 2007, she moved to a weekday show broadcast from 12:00 midday until 14:00. The All-Request Lunch show featured Hayes presenting all alone with listeners sending in requests by text, phone and the networking site, Bebo. In August 2007 it was reported that she had increased her listenership by 11,000. In December 2009 it was announced that Hayes was moving to a weekend slot as part of a schedule shake-up at the radio station. Mid August 2010, Nikki parted company with RTÉ after another major schedule shake up.
On October 20th 2010 it was announced Nikki would start a new show in a weekday morning time-slot on Spin 1038. Hayes took over Spin @ Work from Shona Ryan. She began on 1 November 2010 after an eight-year departure from the station. Shortly after she joined, the show was renamed Spin Hits which is linked with the afternoon show presented by Steve K. Speaking about her return, Hayes has said it was like "coming home". The show features 10 Spin Hits in a Row, listener phone calls and interaction with The Spinis. Hayes also uses the social networking sites Facebook and Twitter to interact with listeners.
Hayes is strongly linked with Dundrum Town Centre and broadcasts from there regularly.
Originally from Bray, Hayes now lives in Dublin and is engaged to soldier Frank Black. She is interested in criminology, after studying Law in college and wishes to follow on studying it as a hobby.
Hayes gave birth to her daughter with Black, named Farrah in December 2013. She returned to her morning slot on Spin 1038 after a 6 month leave after her labour.
Hayes was publicly assaulted in a hotel in the Temple Bar district of Dublin in April 2008. After receiving a black eye she was grateful for the support of her boss John Clarke and fellow broadcaster Gerry Ryan but was not seen in public for some months following the attack.
Hayes has suffered from stress and caught an infection which required her to stick to a diet of only protein. In February 2012, she revealed that, worried about her health, her boyfriend and family members have urged her to stop dieting but that she is happy has control of her weight.
- "'We don't need drink for a fun night out'". Irish Independent. 2007-09-16. Retrieved 2008-10-22.
- "Spin FM's Nikki Hayes joins 2FM". Hot Press. 12 December 2003. Retrieved 21 November 2008.
- "Don't move the dial . . . you might miss 2fm's next line-up change". Irish Independent. 2007-03-01. Retrieved 2008-10-22.
- "All this pesky writing . . . what a drag". Irish Independent. 2006-12-14. Retrieved 2008-10-22.
- "Here's an oldie but a goodie as stars shine again". Irish Independent. 2007-08-24. Retrieved 2008-10-22.
- "Happy New Year!". RTÉ 2fm (Raidió Teilifís Éireann). 29 December 2009. Retrieved 29 December 2009.
- Finn, Melanie (7 June 2011). "New beau puts DJ Nikki in a spin". Evening Herald (Independent News & Media). Retrieved 7 June 2011.
- Last, Jane (9 November 2009). "DJ Nikki off the air as mystery virus strikes". Evening Herald (Independent News & Media). Retrieved 9 November 2009.
- "Loved-up Nikki enjoys festive fun with beau". Evening Herald (Independent News & Media). 29 December 2011. Retrieved 29 December 2011.
- "Nikki finds love but soldier beau is away for six months". Evening Herald (Independent News & Media). 19 January 2012. Retrieved 19 January 2012. "While Frank is in Lebanon, Nikki says she will be turning her focus back to education and is signing herself up for a course in criminology. "I did law in college and I've always been interested in criminology. I don't care if I don't even qualify; I just want to do something with my time that interests me. I want to keep on working, doing my course and just being so tired that at the end of the day I just fall into bed, it will make things easier.""
- Finn, Melanie (11 June 2014). "New mum Nikki Hayes in a Spin as she returns to work after maternity leave". Evening Herald (Independent News & Media). Retrieved 3 July 2014.
- "2fm DJ steps out for first time since attack". Sunday Tribune (Independent News & Media). 19 October 2008. Retrieved 21 November 2008.
- Ryan, Alexandra (29 February 2012). "Family warn Nikki over weight as she shrinks to size 8". Evening Herald (Independent News & Media). Retrieved 29 February 2012.
- Desmond, Sinead (10 October 2013). "Time to talk: Nikki Hayes". Ireland AM (TV 3). Retrieved 10 October 2013.