Nikola Eterović was ordained June 26, 1977 by Bishop Celestin Bezmalinović. March 25, 1980 he joined the diplomatic service of the Holy See, where he worked in the Apostolic Nunciatures of Côte d'Ivoire, Spain and Nicaragua. Pope John Paul II gave him several honors, before making him titular bishop of Sicia and Nuncio to the Ukraine on May 22, 1999. He was consecrated by Cardinal Secretary of State Angelo Sodano, Ante Jurić, Archbishop of Split, and Slobodan Štambuk, Bishop of Hvar, on July 10, 1999 in St Peter, Rome. February 11, 2004 he became General Secretary of the Synod of Bishops. November 30, 2009, due to the creation of the actual Diocese of Sisak, Eterović opted for the titular diocese of Cibalae.
Nikola Eterović is a member of the following institutions:
- Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples (since 2009)
- Pontifical Council for Promoting the New Evangelization (since 2011)
- Annuario Pontificio per l’anno 1982, Città del Vaticano 1982, S. 1849.
- Nomina di Membri della Congregazione per l'Evangelizzazione dei Popoli
- Nomina di Membri del Pontificio Consiglio per la Promozione della Nuova Evangelizzazione
|Apostolic Nuncio to Ukraine
22 May 1999–11 February 2004
|Catholic Church titles|
Jan Pieter Schotte
|Secretary General of the Synod of Bishops
11 February 2004–21 September 2013
|Apostolic Nuncio to Germany
21 September 2013–present