|Born||21 November 1980|
|Alma mater||Saint Petersburg State University, University of Bonn|
Founding VK in 2006Founding Telegram Messenger in 2013
|Relatives||Pavel Durov (brother)|
Nikolai Valeryevich Durov (Russian: Никола́й Вале́рьевич Ду́ров; born 21 November 1980) is a Russian programmer and mathematician. He is the elder brother of Pavel Durov, together with whom he founded the social networking site VK and later the Telegram Messenger.
Early life and education
In 1996, 1997 and 1998 Durov participated in the International Mathematical Olympiad, winning a gold medal in each of the three contests he took part in. In 1995, 1996, 1997, and 1998 he won one gold and three silver medals in the International Olympiad in Informatics. He had been a member of Saint-Petersburg State University ACM team, which won the ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest in 2000 and 2001.
He received his first PhD from Saint-Petersburg State University in 2005. He continued his mathematical education at the University of Bonn having received another PhD under supervision of Gerd Faltings.
Durov introduced commutative algebraic monads as a generalization of local objects in a generalized algebraic geometry. Versions of a tropical geometry, of an absolute geometry over a field with one element and an algebraic analogue of Arakelov geometry were realized in this setup.
He holds the position of a senior research fellow at the laboratory of algebra at the St. Petersburg Department of Steklov Institute of Mathematics of Russian Academy of Sciences.
Durov founded Telegram and developed the MTProto protocol for Telegram in 2013.
- Forumvk 2010 Vk.com stars
- IMO Hall of Fame
- IOI — Statistics
- Final report of the ACM programming contest 2000
- Final report of the ACM programming contest 2001
- List of Gerd Faltings selected PhD students'
- N. Durov, "A New Approach to Arakelov geometry", arXiv:0704.2030v1
- Personal page of N. Durov
- Anton, Blagoveshchensky (April 30, 2014). "Брат Павла Дурова предсказал новые увольнения из "ВКонтакте"". Rossiyskaya Gazeta. Retrieved October 28, 2014.