Nikon F-mount teleconverter
The Nikon F-mount teleconverters are a group of magnifying lenses mounted between the lens and the camera body, the Nikon F-mount. Currently, 1.4x, 1.7x and 2x converters are available separately; a fourth, the 1.25x, is available only with Nikon's newest 800mm supertelephoto lens.
There are several generations, the newest are the E-II and the latest E-III series, which includes an aspherical lens.
Teleconverters need a fast lens for fast, reliable autofocus. Depending on brightness, contrast and needed autofocus-speed, one should have a minimum total aperture between f/11 and f/5.6. A total aperture of f/8 corresponds to a lens aperture of f/5.6, f/4 and f/2.8 with a 1.4x, 2x and 3x teleconverter, respectively. Sometimes teleconverters do not convert aperture and focal length data included in the Exif information, even if the actual focus and exposure still will be correct. Not every teleconverter will support autofocus with every lens. Teleconverters are often recommended only for lenses with minimum telephoto focal length or equivalent zoom range. All AF-I and AF-S teleconverters support lenses with optical image stabilization (Nikon VR).
Nikon AF-I and AF-S teleconverter will only mount original Nikon Nikkor AF-S and AF-I lenses (without modification). Modification needs removal of a small part. Not recommended for use with Nikon DX format lenses although it mounts (with modification).
- Teleconverter Compatibility Nikonians
- Nikonians Tele Converter Compatibility Table
- "Nikon TC-20E Teleconverter Review". Momentcorp.com. 2009-07-31. Retrieved 2010-02-12.
- "Teleconverter Nikon TC-17E II 1.7x Auto Focus - Photo.net Nikon Forum". Photo.net. Retrieved 2010-02-12.
- Modification of TC14E, TC17E or TC20E
- "Nikon | Imaging Products | NIKKOR : Autofocus Lenses". Imaging.nikon.com. Retrieved 2010-02-12.[dead link]
- "www.fotografie.fr • View topic - 70-200VRII+TC-20 E III on FX camera-full users review". Fotografie.fr. Retrieved 2010-02-12.
- Nikon Mount Adapter FT1 Compatible Lens List Nikon
- Nikon V1 + FT1 Mount Adapter + 400mm f/2.8 + Teleconverter TC 2.0 Experimental
- Nikon 1 V1 and FT1 on Nikon AF-S 600mm f/4 VR lens + TC-14EII teleconverter