Spyropoulos in 2009
|Full name||Nikolaos Spyropoulos|
|Date of birth||10 October 1983|
|Place of birth||Ioannina, Greece|
|Height||1.72 m (5 ft 8 in)|
|Playing position||Left back|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 25 March 2015.
† Appearances (Goals).
Spyropoulos began his career with PAS Giannina in 2001, where he celebrated a promotion to the Alpha Ethniki during his first season. In three years, he made a total of 33 appearances for the club, all of which in the Beta Ethniki.
In summer 2004 he signed for Greek Superleague side Panionios. Eight months later, and while he was about to be transferred to Panathinaikos alongside with his teammates Alexandros Tziolis and Evangelos Mantzios, he tested positive for elevated testosterone and was initially suspended for two years. This was later attributed to natural causes, but his transfer was cancelled nevertheless. He returned to action one year later and went on to play for 3,5 years for Panionios, earning the reputation of being one of the best left-backs in the Greek championship.
During the summer transfer period of 2007 and the winter period of 2008, Spyropoulos attracted the interest of clubs such as AEK Athens, Olympiacos and Werder Bremen – however a move did not materialize.
After some impressive displays during the second half of 07–08 season, Spyropoulos has started the 08–09 season as the main left back for Panathinaikos FC. Henk Ten Cate, the manager had praised his ability by asking a "Spyropoulos for the right side" too, during the pre-season. Spyropoulos main assets are his speed, stamina and the ability to go forward whenever possible. Due to a clause he was not able to play against his previous team Panionios for two years after his transfer to Panathinaikos FC.
Two days before the winter transfer window closes, the Greek defender Nikolaos Spyropoulos was presented to the press today at Peschiera's Parc Hotel. signing for the Italian Serie A side A.C. Chievo Verona. Spyropoulos said: "I'm here too to play my part. I'll try to settle in as quickly as possible, to help Chievo reach their target. I'm a defender but I can play in many positions and I like attacking play. I thank Chievo for giving me the chance to play in Italy. I'll do my best to repay the trust of the chairman and the club." He made two appearances for the club before missing the remainder of the season through injury.
An announcement on PAOK’s official Twitter profile confirmed the acquisition of Spyropoulos, who spent the last six months in Italy with Chievo Verona after leaving Panathinaikos during last January’s transfer window.No financial details of Spyropoulos’ contract or terms were revealed by the club, but the Greek international will join the first team for its’s training camp in Austria starting on Monday.   He made his debut with the club on December 2013 in a 2-0 away win against PAS Giannina.
His talent was initially ignored by Otto Rehhagel, but in 2007 the elector capped him, although he has not yet been in a starting lineup for the National team. Spyropoulos is left-footed and is distinguished by a combination of speed, strength, agility and endurance.
|1.||3 September 2010||Piraeus, Greece||Georgia||1–1||Draw||UEFA Euro 2012 qualifier|
|2.||7 September 2012||Riga, Latvia||Latvia||1–2||Win||2014 FIFA World Cup qualifier|
- A. ^ Includes appearances in the Superleague Greece (Alpha Ethniki until 2006) and Beta Ethniki.
- B. ^ Includes appearances in the Greek Cup.
- C. ^ Includes appearances in the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League (UEFA Cup until 2009).
- D. ^ Includes appearances in the Superleague Greece play-offs.
- "Nikos Spyropoulos". uefa.com. 17 January 2012. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "Spyropoulos Nikos profile" (in Greek). Insports.gr. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "Ένοχος για ντόπινγκ κρίθηκε ο Σπυρόπουλος, τιμωρείται με 2 χρόνια αποκλεισμό (Spyropoulos guilty for doping, punished with a two-year ban)" (in Greek). Athens: In.gr. 24 March 2005. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- Karpetopoulos, Antonis (29 January 2008). "Οι οπαδοί εκτιμούν τις καλές πωλήσεις (Fans appreciate good sells)". Kathimerini (in Greek). Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- ""Παρέλαση" ονομάτων από την εγχώρια μεταγραφική αγορά για την ΑΕΚ ("Parade" of names from domestic market for AEK)" (in Greek). Athens: In.gr. 17 March 2007. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "ΠΑΝΙΩΝΙΟΣ: Σπυρόπουλος προς Βέρντερ (PANIONIOS: Spyropoulos towards Werder)". Kathimerini (in Greek). 9 January 2008. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "Spyropoulos joins Panathinaikos". uefa.com. 28 January 2008. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "Good luck to Ujkani and Spyropoulos". mondochievo.it. 2013-01-30.
- ΠΑΟΚ: "Κάτοικος" Τούμπας ο Νίκος Σπυρόπουλος (in Greek). betarades.gr.
- Συνεχίζει στον ΠΑΟΚ ο Σπυρόπουλος (in Greek). sport-fm.gr. 2/9/2013. Check date values in:
- "Nikos Spyropoulos". National Football Teams. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "Nikos Spyropoulos profile". Footballzz. Retrieved 9 August 2012.
- "Nikos Spyropoulos profile". Soccerway. Retrieved 9 August 2012.