|Elevation||320 m (1,050 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
The Madurai Nayaks were rulers from around 1529 until 1736, of a region comprising most of modern-day Tamil Nadu, India, with Madurai as their capital. Madurai Nayaks was ruled by Nilakottai palayam. Nilakottai Palaiyakkarar King Chithama Nayak.
In the 17th century Nilakottai was ruled by Kulappa nayak. Kulappa nayak belongs to the Balija social group. Nilakottai Palaiyakkarar king Chithama Nayak son of kulappa nayak. He ruled by 108 village by Nilakottai palayam. Kulappa nayak belongs to Madurai Nayaks. He Built Narasimha Perumal Temple at Nilakottai.
Nilakkottai is located at  It has an average elevation of 320 metres (1049 feet)..
As of 2001[update] India census, Nilakkottai had a population of 19,630. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Nilakkottai has an average literacy rate of 71%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 76%, and female literacy is 66%. In Nilakkottai, 12% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Places of interest
Mari Amman Kovil:(Hindu Temple) This is a big and famous temple at Nilakkottai. Every Friday and Special pooja day lots of people are coming to this temple. The famous festival (in Tamil called Thiruvizha) on this temple celebrated every year. This festival is celebrated for a week.
It is not just a Temple ritual, but is a grand festival for the whole town. Around 30 village peoples nearby this place will come with their families and celebrate. It begins with Kodi Etram (Raising Flag) and concludes with Poo Palaki (procession in flower decorated pallaku). On each day, the Utsava Murthis (Mobile Deities) will be nicely decorated and taken in procession, once in the morning and once in the evening on different Vahanams (vehicles).
All the schools will be closed for a week. Kids are very exited and eagerly waiting for this week. They have a lot of fun like elephant ride, giant wheel, balloon shooting for kids, on the spot toys store, music shows, dance shows every night, etc.
First day: Kodi Etram On the Center of the Temple, they raise the flag to announce that the festival is started.
Second Day: Thee Chatti Peoples carry the hot pot on their hand and come around the Temple to stronger their prayer. For those have a kids after a long time of their marriage, they will do "Karumbu Thotil"-Two persons will hold the two edges of the Sugar cane, and the cloth will be tied on the center portion of it. The kid will be in the center portion of the cloth (In Tamil “Thotil”). They come around the temple.
Third Day: Pal Kudam Peoples hold the Pot with Milk and come around the Temple and pour that milk for God.
Fourth Day: Unchal Seva That day they decorated the Deities and keep them on the Golden Swing. Ladies are singing the songs to praise the God.
Fifth day: Poo Palaku This is the last day of night time celebration. Deity is taken in procession with flower-decorated pallaku. Ladies are carrying the Mulaipari (Two weeks before, they planting 9 grains in soil placed in earthen dishes) before this palaku.
In 2012, the temple celebrated its 100th year.
- Nadar Middle School (Completed 100 Years)
- Yanai Petai Nadar Middle School (Branch of NMS)
- Sourastra School
- Govt.High Sec School
- K.C.M. Matric.School
- DHAN Karunai School
- Lagu vela maya School
- Government Arts College for Women,Kulathupatti, Nilakkottai
- Navalar ITI college, Nilakkottai
- Surya Teacher Training College, Nilakkottai
- Krishna Polytechnic, Batlagundu
- Govt. Hospital
- Palaniyappa Clinic
- Muthu Clinic
- Selvam Clinic
- Bhagya Lakshmi Nursing Home
- Haniman Homeo Clinic
- Sophia Hospital
- Damien Eye Hospital
- Gold jewels and ornaments have been exported to other countries
- Brass vessels have been exported to other countries
- Silver vessels have been exported to other countries
- World's famous Flower have been exported to other parts of our country
- The most beautiful dam peranai(vaigai river's)is few kilometers away from nilakottai, where most of the films have been shot.
- RS Computers & Rs Men's Avenue in Main Bazar, Nilakottai, 9976097357.
- Mariamman Temple
- Akobela Narasingaperumal Temple (above300yr)
- Sastha Temple
- Periya Kaliamman Temple
- Nagamma Temple
- Sri Raja Rajeshwari Temple
- Dhurgai Amman Temple (WITH EARAL ALINJIL STRANGE TREE)
- Karupana Swami Temple
- Famous Flower Market
- Weekly Market on Saturday
- Microwave Telephone Tower
- Head Post Office
- Arbutha Kulanthai Easu at 3 km (Kavirayapuram)
- Anaipatti Dam (around 10 km) anjaneyar temple
- Sirumalai Hills (around 10 km)
- koolappanayakar Palace at 5 km(potti chettipatti)
- Central Store
- Karuppatti Pettai
- M.V Amulraj Jewellery [since 1927]
- Thiagarajar Textile mills
- Nelco Metal powder company Ltd
- Dhanalakshmi paper mills
- Vaigai fine Tex
- Sunshine Bakery Foods Pvt Ltd
- IAP Food Preservations
- Desiyan timbers
- TAFE tractors manufacturing unit
- Vakra Kaliyamman spinning mill
- ABT TATA Motors
- M&M Star Tractors
- Thangam Motors
- Raj Motors
- Nataraja Motors
- VKV Motors
- JD Motors
- Bhaarath Beverages (DOCILE)
- Floral Aroma
- Hindustan Essential
- Jasmine Aroma
- ARS Note Books
- Naveen Computers (Anything and Everything for Computers)
- Raj Fabs
- RK Glenrock Granites
- MSP Granites
- IOC Bottling Plant
- VENCOFF Hatcheries
- Amway products
- Natarajan flower agency
- National cloth Store
There are many industries in SIPCOT Industrial Estate located in the national highways in Pallapatty, Nilakottai Taluka.
- Fenner India Ltd
- Bovonto Drinks
- Maagrita Exports
- SBI Bank
- DCC Bank
- Canara Bank
- Pandian Bank
- Nilakkottai Co-operative Bank
- "Nilakkottai". History. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- "Nilakkottai". History of Nilakottai. Retrieved May 20, 2014.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Nilakkottai
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "List of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies". Tamil Nadu. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-11.