Sri Nilamadhava Temple is very old and famous Vishnu temple which is near to the bank of Mahanadi,in Kantilo. which is present near to the twin hills with a surrounding forests. A permanent flow of holy water from the feet of Lord Nilamadhava. Lord Siddheswar is also present which are the highlights of the place.
It all initiated in a small cave in the Brahmadri hills situated on the banks of Mahanadi, which is known as Kantilo of Nayagarh district today. Here, Biswabasu the local Sabara Chief worshipped Kitung, as the God was known in the Sabara dialect. According to the Puranas, the deity was originally worshipped in the form of an Indranila gem image known as “Nilamadhava". The daru murty came much later.Located near the confluence of three rivers Mahanadi, Kuanria and Kusumi the temple structure is like the Jagannath temple of Puri. It stands on the right bank of Mahanadi. It is called triveni sangam of Odisha. As there is Beni-Madhava in Prayag, so as here Nilamadhava.
- Maagha saptami Festival or Ratha Saptami is the best festival over here.
- A fair is held on the Ekadashi of the month of Maagha
- A special feastival on 'PAUSA PURNIMA' . On This occasion Lord Neelamadhab decorate with 'Gold ornaments'
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nilamadhav Temple.|
- information regarding the blue hued lord
- image of the temple
- story of Nilamadhav
- reports on archaeological survey
|This article about an Indian Hindu place of worship is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|