Nilmani Phookan (Junior)
Nilmani Phookan (Assamese: নীলমণি ফুকন; born 1933) is an Indian poet in Assamese language and an academic. His work replete with symbolism, is inspired by French symbolism and is representative of the genre in Assamese poetry. His notable works include Surya Henu Nami Ahe Ei Nodiyedi, Gulapi Jamur Lagna, Kobita
He was awarded the 1981 Sahitya Akademi Award in Assamese for his poetry collection, Kavita (Kobita). He was awarded the Padma Shri by Government of India in 1990, and received the Sahitya Akademi Fellowship, the highest literary honor in India, given by Sahitya Akademi, India's National Academy of Letters in 2002
Early life and education
He was awarded the Assam Valley Literary Award in 1997, and in 2002 he received the Sahitya Akademi Fellowship, the highest literary honor in India, given by Sahitya Akademi, India's National Academy of Letters, reserved for "the immortals of literature".
- Surya Heno Nami Ahe Ei Nadiyedi ("The sun is said to come descending by this river"), 1963.
- Manas-pratima. Guwahati Book Stall, 1971.
- Phuli Thaka Suryamukhi Phultor Pine ("Towards the Blooming Sunflower"), 1971.
- Kabita. Sahitya Akademi Publications, 2001. ISBN 81-260-1058-4.
- Selected Poems Of Nilmani Phookan. tr. by Krishna Dulal Barua. Sahitya Akademi Publications, 2007. ISBN 81-260-2433-X.
- Akademi, p. 462
- Since he shares his name another Assamese poet, Nilamani Phukan (1879–1978), he is often referred as Nilamani Phookan (Jr.)
- "Sahitya Akademi Award 1955-2007 - Assamese". Official listings, Sahitya Akademi website.
- "Padma Awards". Ministry of Communications and Information Technology.
- "Conferment of Sahitya Akademi Fellowship". Official listings, Sahitya Akademi website.
- "Nilmani Phookan". India - Poetry International Web.
- "Another plume in writer’s crown". The Telegraph. April 13, 2008.
- "Bhisham Sahni, Kaifi Azmi in Sahitya Akademi". The Tribune. February 20, 2002.
- Modern Indian literature, an anthology, Volume 2. Sahitya Akademi. 1992. ISBN 81-7201-324-8.
- * Laureate of Assam-Nilamani Phookan( FacenFcats.com)
- Exploring Life, poems by Nilmani Phookan at Assam Tribune
- Poems by Nilmani Phookan