Nils Marstein (born 4 February 1950) is a Norwegian civil servant.
He took his architect's education at the Norwegian Institute of Technology from 1969 to 1974, and was hired in the Norwegian Directorate for Cultural Heritage in 1979. In 1991 he was promoted to head of the technical department. In 1995 he was promoted to acting director in the organization, meant to replace Øivind Lunde in the last two years of a Lunde's designated six-year term. Marstein was the first architect in 82 years to head the Norwegian Directorate for Cultural Heritage.
When his two-year term as acting director was nearing its end, Marstein applied to get the position on a permanent basis. The other candidate was Fatma Bhanji Jynge. On 1 August 1997 it was announced that Marstein was appointed. In 2003 it was decided to give him another six-year term, but he then had to step aside in August 2009. Sjur Helseth became acting director while Jørn Holme would succeed him in October 2009.
Marstein has been a member of the International Council on Monuments and Sites, the International Centre for the Study of the Preservation and Restoration of Cultural Property and the UNESCO World Heritage Committee. He is a fellow of the Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences.
- Stafne, Anne Lise (13 September 1995). "Målet er et mer "proft" kulturvern". Aftenposten (in Norwegian).
- Henriksen, Petter, ed. (2007). "Nils Marstein". Store norske leksikon (in Norwegian). Oslo: Kunnskapsforlaget. Retrieved 28 August 2009.
- Eide, Harriet (16 July 1997). "Velger Marstein?". Dagbladet (in Norwegian).
- Norwegian News Agency (1 August 1997). "Offisielt fra statsråd" (in Norwegian).
- Norwegian News Agency (16 August 2009). "Fakta om Nils Marstein" (in Norwegian).
- "Sjur Helseth er konstituert riksantikvar" (in Norwegian). Norwegian Directorate for Cultural Heritage. 21 August 2009. Retrieved 27 August 2009.
- Knut Olav Åmås, ed. (2008). "Marstein, Nils". Hvem er hvem? (in Norwegian). Oslo: Aschehoug. p. 368. ISBN 978-82-03-23561-0.
- "Medlemmer: MARSTEIN, Nils" (in Norwegian). Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences. Retrieved 11 May 2013.
|Director of the Norwegian Directorate for Cultural Heritage
(acting director 1995–1997)