|Sub-region||Northeastern Savonia sub-region|
|• Town manager||Jorma Autio|
|• Total||847.71 km2 (327.30 sq mi)|
|• Land||711.57 km2 (274.74 sq mi)|
|• Water||136.14 km2 (52.56 sq mi)|
|Area rank||135th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||156th largest in Finland|
|• Density||9.14/km2 (23.7/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.8% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||15%|
|• 15 to 64||62%|
|• 65 or older||22.9%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||20%|
It is located in the province of Eastern Finland and is part of the Northern Savonia region. The town has a population of 6,507 (31 August 2013) and covers an area of 847.71 square kilometres (327.30 sq mi) of which 136.14 km2 (52.56 sq mi) is water. The population density is 9.14 inhabitants per square kilometre (23.7 /sq mi).
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
The last few decades have been a period of rapid progress for the town, especially its tourism. There are still plenty of traditional rural occupations, but also many kinds of commercial activities. Nilsiä has become the administrative and commercial centre of Northeast Savonia and it co-operates actively with the city of Kuopio. The services in Nilsiä are as diverse as in many larger towns.
Nilsiä has exceptionally much to offer to those who love sports and nature, whether it is winter or summer. Tahkovuori is a popular winter sport centre. There are also marked routes for snowmobile trainers.
In summer there are many marked paths for hiking and mountain biking. There is a marina and good fishing possibilities in lakes Syväri and Vuotjärvi, like in the Lastukoski rapids, too.
Nilsiä is also a well-known golf centre.
Nilsiä joined the city of Kuopio at the beginning of year 2013.
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 31.8.2013" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Nilsiä at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Nilsiä – Official website