|Elevation||2,460 ft (750 m)|
|Population (2006 Estimate)|
Nimule is located in Magwi County, Eastern Equatoria State, South Sudan, adjacent to the border with the Republic of Uganda. This location lies approximately 190 kilometres (120 mi), by road, southeast of Juba, the capital of South Sudan and the largest city in that country. This location lies approximately 120 kilometres (75 mi), by road, north of Gulu, Uganda, the nearest large city.
The population of Nimule was estimated at about 45,000 in 2006. The current population is not publicly known.
The state parliament decided to upgrade Nimule to Town status administered by a town clerk on August 19, 2013, although some in the county have protested, calling for a wider consultation.  The protest seek to address consent from the local community, feasibility studies, clean water supply, electricity, waste management and expansion of Nimule Hospital before upgrading to Town status because of expected increase in population.
On 7 October 2006, a heavy truck with Ugandan registration UAD 720U from Uganda, carrying cement caused several spans on one of the two carriageways of the bridge to collapse into the river. On Friday 17 June 2011, two Ugandan buses, one traveling to Juba, South Sudan to Nimule and the other traveling in the opposite direction, collided head-on, in Pajili Village, about 40 kilometres (25 mi), north of Nimule, killing at least 28 people and injuring at least 65 others. A joint investigation by the South Sudanese and Ugandan authorities, cited (a) overloading (b) speeding and (c) driver fatigue as factors in the collision.
Points of interest
The following points of interest are located in or near Nimule:
- The offices of Nimule Town Council
- Merlin Hospital Nimule - A private, non-profit hospital, owned and operated by Medical Emergency Relief International (Merlin), an NGO
- Nimule Airport - A public, civilian and military airport
- The International border between South Sudan and the Republic of Uganda
- The Gulu-Juba Highway - As of July 2011[update], the 320 kilometres (200 mi) highway is murram. Arrangements to convert the highway to bitumen surface are underway in both countries
- Nimule National Park - The national park is located just outside of town, to the north and to the east.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Nimule.|
- Road Distance Between Juba & Nimule With Map
- Map Showing Nimule & Gulu With Distance Marker
- Nimule Has Rapidly Growing Population
- Ijoo, Bosco (20 August 2013). "Eastern Equatoria to upgrade three towns to municpalities". Sudan Tribune. Retrieved 22 August 2013.
- Ugandan Truck Breaks Bridge In Nimule
- Two Buses Collide In Nimule, Killing Dozens
- Human Error Caused Bus Collision
- The Tarmacking of the Gulu-Juba Highway Begins In 2011