Garcia at the 2012 premiere of What to Expect When You're Expecting
May 3, 1965
|Notable credit(s)||Mirabella; Fashion Director, Elle, Fashion Director, Marie Claire|
|Title||Creative Director, Marie Claire|
Lucas Conrod (b. March 24, 2007)Alexander Conrod (b. November 26, 2010)
Nina García, (born May 3, 1965) is a Colombian fashion journalist and critic who has held the post of Fashion Director at Elle and Marie Claire magazines, and has been a judge on the Lifetime reality television program Project Runway since its premiere season.
Early life and education
Garcia was born in Barranquilla, Colombia, the daughter of a wealthy importer. She graduated from the Dana Hall School in Wellesley, Massachusetts in 1983 and holds a bachelor's degree from Boston University. Later she attended Esmod (Ecole Superieure de la Mode) in Paris and also earned a bachelor's degree in 1992 from the Fashion Institute of Technology(FIT).
After leaving Marc Jacobs, Garcia moved to Mirabella, where she worked as Assistant Stylist and Market Editor until taking a position at Elle. She became Fashion Director of Elle in 2000. Garcia left the Fashion Director position in April 2008, becoming Editor-at-Large at the magazine until the end of August. On April 11, 2008, Us Weekly reported that Garcia left her post as fashion director of Elle. Garcia's contract was reportedly up for renewal. Roberta Myers, Vice President/Editor-in-Chief at the magazine, announced May 15, 2008 that they had entered a new agreement with Nina Garcia who was named Editor-at-Large through September 1, 2008. She had spent 13 years at Elle and been Fashion Director for the past eight years. She began her new position as Fashion Director of Marie Claire on September 2, 2008. Garcia currently oversees the fashion coverage for the magazine and runs the fashion department. She also covers the designer fashion markets of New York, Milan and Paris, and is relied upon as a fashion authority and has participated in numerous television interviews. In 2013, Garcia was promoted to Creative Director at Marie Claire.
Garcia has been a judge on Project Runway since Season 1.
Garcia is the author of four books. On September 5, 2007, Garcia's book, The Little Black Book of Style (Harper Collins) was released. The book has been translated into Spanish and Portuguese. On August 26, 2008, Garcia's second book for Harper Collins, The One Hundred: A Guide to the Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own was released, with eight printings at the launch. Garcia's third book, The Style Strategy was published in September 2009. Nina Garcia’s Look Book was published in September 2010.
- "Nina Garcia on TV.com". TV.com. Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- Tkacik, Maureen (2008-08-17), "America’s Next Top Fashion Editor", New York Magazine, retrieved 2010-07-14
- Fashion Institute of Technology, Nina Garcia to Give Keynote Address at FIT's Graduation Ceremonies on May 25 2010-05-18. Retrieved 2010-10-10.
- Bravo TV Bio
- Fashion Week Daily - Dispatch - Project Runway Status Confirmed
- Project Runway star Nina Garcia to land a major gig at Marie Claire - news - dispatch - fashion week daily
- Miss Universe: Press
- Nina Garcia's Official website
- Nina Garcia at the Internet Movie Database
- Nina Garcia Biography on the Lifetime Television Project Runway website
- Nina Garcia 2006 Interview on Sidewalks Entertainment