Lego Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu
|Lego Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu|
|Genre||Action, Comedy, Science Fantasy, Martial arts|
|Written by||The Hageman Brothers|
|Directed by||Michael Hegner
|Voices of||Jillian Michaels
Ian James Corlett
|Composer(s)||Jay Vincent & Mike Kramer|
|Country of origin||
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||44 (List of episodes)|
|Producer(s)||Erik Wilstrup & WILFilm|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Original channel||Cartoon Network|
|Original run||January 14, 2011– present|
|Related shows||Legends of Chima|
Two pilot episodes were shown on Cartoon Network on January 14, 2011, sometimes split into four episodes. Due to the popularity of the pilot episodes, the first season was launched from December 2011 – April 2012 alongside a new line of sets marketed as "Rise of the Snakes". The pilot episodes were released on DVD in March 2011, and the first season became available on DVD in Region 1 on June 26, 2012. The series as a whole has an estimated budget of kr 37 million (approximately £4.6 million or US$$6.7 million.
Season 4 premiered on February 23, 2015 in North America and Great Britain on Cartoon Network.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Characters
- 3 Episodes
- 4 Release and reception
- 5 Home media
- 6 Video game
- 7 Film
- 8 References
- 9 External links
The show is set in the fictional world of Ninjago, a place inspired by Chinese and Japanese myths and culture. The land is divided between Ninjago proper and the Dark Island, where the Overlord resides. It has an underworld, where beings of evil like Lord Garmadon and the Skullkins dwell, together with sacred places where many things are hidden or forgotten (like the Serpentine tombs or the Golden Weapons). Similar to Lego's past product line Bionicle, the main characters are in tune with certain elemental properties (the elements in this case being Fire, Ice, Lightning, Earth, and Creation.) While featuring several historically designed buildings and traditional clothing, Ninjago is a modern setting incorporating large metropolises with skyscrapers, current-age (and futuristic) vehicles, modern electronics and semi-robotic exo-suits; among other temporal displacements.
The pilot episodes feature Sensei Wu struggling to train four young Ninja in the ways of an ancient battle art called Spinjitzu (which manifests as an elemental spinning movement faster than any normal fighting style) to defeat Lord Garmadon, ruler of the Underworld and Wu's brother, and stop him from gaining The Four Golden Weapons, which would make his power limitless. Traveling across Ninjago, Sensei Wu and his four elementally-attuned students, Kai Smith (Fire), Jay Walker (Lightning), Zane Julien (Ice) and Cole Brookstone (Earth) recover the Golden Weapons, together with trying to find and rescue Kai's sister, Nya (who was captured by Garmadon's army, The Skullkins. Kai is tricked and runs off alone and finds the Sword of Fire, but is confronted by Garmadon in shadow-form. Kai rescues his little sister Nya and makes peace with the Dragon guardians, but, in order to keep the Sword of Fire from Garmadon, Wu travels to the Underworld to fight his corrupted brother. The four Ninja follow him down on their dragons, who are magical and can exist in both worlds. After defeating the Skeleton Army with the ultimate Spinjitzu move, the Tornado of Creation, they come upon Sensei fighting the general of the Skeleton Army, Samukai, who is in possession of three of the Golden Weapons (stolen from the Ninja earlier while they rested in the forests near the Fire Temple). Wu is defeated and Samukai tries to take the weapons for his own, but their combined power is too much for any normal being to control, destroys him and creates a portal into another realm between space and time, allowing Garmadon to escape, but one day return with enough power to wield the Four Golden Weapons. With Garmadon gone, the balance is temporarily restored, and the Ninja will prepare to train themselves for the day the ruler of the underworld returns.
Season One focuses on the Ninja trying to determine which one of them will be destined to become the Green Ninja, a warrior destined to face the Dark Lord for the fate of Ninjago. It also focuses on Garmadon's young son Lloyd Garmadon, who has released an ancient evil: an army of four Serpentine (snake) tribes (and the last member of a fifth) known in legends as the Serpentine. The four Ninja must stop them from uniting to unleash The Great Devourer, a massive black, green and purple snake with the power to consume all of Ninjago and a bite that can turn people evil, which is what turned Lord Garmadon evil. However, Lloyd was betrayed by two of the five tribes (and Pythor, the last member of the most-feared snake tribe, the Anacondrai) before Sensei Wu convinced him to join their side, taking pity on him because of being left alone. Eventually, the Serpentine captured Lloyd as a hostage, and Lord Garmadon, who returned with the help of Sensei Wu, had agreed to aid the Ninja in rescuing Lloyd and stopping the Serpentine, considering the fact that Garmadon himself wants to be the one to threaten Ninjago and wanting revenge on the beast responsible for his fall into evil. To this end, he even gets the Skeleton Army to help fight against the Serpentine, despite the fact he planned their former leader's death. However, despite the combined efforts of the Ninja, Garmadon, and the Skeletons, the Snake King Pythor, manages to release the Great Devourer in a mad attempt to gain his revenge on the people of Ninjago, although he realized too late that The Great Devourer consumes even its own kind. He and Wu are eaten by the Devourer, leaving only the Ninja, Nya (who became a secret fighter known as Samurai X) and Lloyd (revealed to be the Green Ninja) to fight against the monster. Eventually, Lord Garmadon comes to the rescue and destroys the creature by using the combined might of the Four Golden Weapons given by the Ninja. After the Devourer's destruction, Wu is found to have survived, Pythor is nowhere to be found, and Garmadon vanishes with the weapons. Despite losing the weapons, the Ninja prepare to train Lloyd so that he can face his father one day and save Ninjago, something which he was afraid to for the sake of their bond.
The first half of Season Two charts the Ninja's efforts to train Lloyd and Garmadon's efforts to thwart it. To do this, he recreates the Destiny's Bounty (a flying and sailing ship that used to be the Ninja's home in Season 1 before being destroyed by the Devourer), unites the Serpentine under his control, and merges the four Golden Weapons into the powerful Mega Weapon, but he soon discovers from experience that the weapon cannot destroy, but only create, much to his chagrin. He tries a number of schemes, with one being to create dark doubles of the Ninja. Lord Garmadon tries more attacks, but each time he fails and strengthens Lloyd in the process, with one scheme leading to Lloyd being aged from the child he was to a teenager like his four ninja mentors. Garmadon then tries traveling back in time to make sure the ninja team are never formed, thus ensuring Lloyd would never fulfill his destiny. He almost succeeds, but Kai, Jay, Zane, and Cole from the present, who follow him through, manage to destroy the Mega Weapon with the Golden Weapons from the past and sending them to outer space, changing everything back to the way it was, with the exception that no-one but the four and Garmadon remember that the Mega Weapon existed. The second half of the season focuses on the rise of the Dark Lord. Betrayed by the Serpentine, Garmadon ends up on his island and releases the Overlord: at the same time, the venom of the Great Devourer seeps into catacombs beneath Ninjago, waking the Overlord's Stone Army. The Serpentine are then trapped underground in the chamber where the Stone Army slept, much to their dismay. Along with Misako, Lloyd's mother, the Ninja group travel to the Dark Island (meeting Zane's father, who was originally presumed dead, along the way), where Garmadon has taken command of the Stone Army and started the Celestial Clock, which counts down to the final battle. The Ninja fail to stop the clock, and it triggers the creation of Garmatron, a machine for altering the balance between light and darkness. Once this is done, the Overlord possesses Garmadon and travels to Ninjago. The Ninja follow, and Lloyd uses his newfound Golden Power to defeat the Overlord. In the process, Garmadon's dark transformation is reversed, and he becomes human, reuniting with his family.
Some time after the events of season two, Ninjago City has been rebuilt into a futuristic metropolis and renamed New Ninjago City. The ninja, striving for action, find out that the Overlord survived the final battle, being trapped in the Digiverse. Cyrus Borg, creator of Borg Industries, realizes this and give the ninja the Techno Blades, which could be used to destroy the Digital Overlord. The Overlord uses P.I.X.A.L. (an android who works at Borg Industries) to create the Nindroid army from Zane's blueprints. Later, the hard drive containing the Digital Overlord is stolen by Pythor, who survived being eaten by the Devourer but his skin got turned white and still wants revenge on the people of Ninjago. He captures Lloyd, and the Overlord drains him of most of his Golden Power while the ninja fight him in the Digiverse. They shut down the system too late, and the Overlord escapes the digital realm half-formed. Lloyd then splits his remaining golden power among the four ninja, knowing that the power would be a big responsibility for him to bear alone. The Overlord, needing to complete his transformation, sends the Nindroids to space to retrieve the Golden Weapons, which they succeed in doing. The Overlord becomes the Golden Master, fulfilling an old Serpentine legend, and wreaks havoc on New Ninjago City. Realizing the situation is hopeless, Zane destroys the Golden Master, and is destroyed himself in the process. However, Zane survives in the Digiverse, and rebuilds himself, becoming the Titanium Ninja.
The ninja are fractured at the loss of Zane. However, when they receive an invitation to the Tournament of Elements, they find out that Zane is alive on the island. Master Chen, who created the Tournament, works under the Anacondrai motto, "Only One Can Remain". And this is the case, for when someone is eliminated from the tournament, Chen steals their Elemental Power, and sends them to work in his noodle factory. Eventually, Nya goes looking for the ninja, and finds out that Chen wants to steal everyone's elemental powers to transform him and his followers into Anacondrai. Chen then arranges for all of the remaining Elemental Masters to find and capture her. Chen then manages to capture all of the Elemental Masters except for Lloyd, and steals their power. Lloyd and Chen face off, and Chen easily wins. However, before being able to cast the spell, Kai destroys the Staff of Elements, giving all of the Elemental Masters their powers back. They revolt against Chen, who manages to escape, capturing Skylor, his daughter, in the process. Clouse, Chen's right-hand man, realizes that Skylor can complete the spell due to her ability to wield all Elemental Powers. Garmadon (who used to train under Chen) and Clouse face off, and Garmadon banishes Clouse to the Cursed Realm. Chen manages to complete the spell, and everyone with the Mark of the Anacondrai (including him, Skylor, and Garmadon) turn into Anacondrai. He and his followers go to Ninjago to start a second Serpentine War. The Elemental Masters discover that, like Lloyd, they can manifest Elemental Dragons. The heroes fly to Ninjago and find out that Chen needs the essence of a true Anacondrai, which in this case, would be Pythor's sweat, to make the spell permanent. After the Ninja are unsuccessful in keeping Pythor out of Chen's clutches, he manages to collect enough sweat to transform himself and his army, and then starts attacking the villages around Ninjago City. The ninja get the citizens of Ninjago to revolt at the Corridor of Elders, but they are unable to defeat the Anacondrai. Pythor is able to escape with the spellbook and tells Garmadon that the only way to stop the war is to release the spirits of the Anacondrai Generals, who were locked in the Cursed Realm, but in order to do this, Garmadon would have to be banished. Lloyd, who initially is in denial over having his recently-turned-good father banished forever, relents and curses his father. Garmadon is sent through the portal, with the Anacondrai in tow. Skylor becomes human again, and Pythor is returned to normal size by the spirits of the Anacondrai Generals, who also thank Lloyd for allowing them to help stop Chen and bring peace to Ninjago. Afterwards, everyone rejoices, Skylor declines Kai's offer to become a ninja officially and says that she is going to continue the family noodle business, and a figure of Garmadon is carved into the Corridor of Elders. The ninja, Nya, Wu, Misako, and Dareth gather around a campfire, speak words about Garmadon, then burn the spellbook. All seems to be well, however, a shadowy figure flies through the air, the figure then speaks the word: "Morro."
- Kai Smith/Red Ninja (voiced by Vincent Tong) - Kai is the Red Ninja of Fire, whose late father was a friend of Sensei Wu. Hot (in three ways)-tempered and stubborn, he initially insulted Sensei Wu, but accepted his offer of training after his sister Nya was kidnapped by the Skullkins. He subsequently obtained the Sword of Fire and became the rider of the Fire Dragon Flame. Like the other Ninja, Kai believed that he would become the Green Ninja, but his drive to do so kept him from discovering his full potential until the other Ninja had already succeeded in doing so. Upon realizing that his training was meant to prepare him to protect the true Green Ninja, Lloyd, Kai unlocked his potential and joined the others in training Lloyd. Kai has wielded the Sword of Fire, the Fire elemental blade if fire and the red Techno Blade. Kai's ninja vehicles have included the Blade Cycle, the Fire Mech, the Fire Blade Fighter Jet, the X-1 Ninja Charger and the Fire Drifter Hovercycle. His Spinjitzu tornado is red, and he is capable of manifesting a Fire Dragon created from his elemental powers. He was one of the 16 elemental masters in Master Chen's tournament, where he met and developed feelings for Skylor.
- Jay Walker/Blue Ninja (voiced by Michael Adamthwaite) - Jay is the Blue Ninja of Lightning, the most lighthearted of the group and Nya's boyfriend. An inventor, Jay was found by Sensei Wu testing a pair of artificial wings and recruited to join the Ninja; he subsequently obtained the Nunchuks of Lightning and became the rider of the Lightning Dragon Wisp. For some time he was afraid to admit his true feelings to Nya, but upon doing so unlocked his true potential as a Ninja. Jay is somewhat embarrassed by his parents Ed and Edna, and avoided telling the other Ninja about them for some time. He, in season 3, became insanely jealous after learning that Nya might have feelings for Cole. Jay has wielded the Nunchuks of Lightning, the elemental blade of lightning, and the yellow Techno Blade, and his Spinjitzu tornado is blue. Jay's ninja vehicles have included the Storm Glider Fighter Jet, the Thunder Raider, and the Electro Mech. He is also one of the 16 elemental Masters who took part in Master Chen's tournament.
- Zane Julien/White Ninja/Titanium Ninja (voiced by Brent Miller) - Zane is the White Ninja and Titanium Ninja of Ice, and the smartest of the group. He is a nindroid, an artificial being created to be a ninja by Dr. Julien. When Dr. Julien fell ill, he turned off Zane's memory switch, leaving Zane with no memory of his father or being an artificial lifeform. He later found a village where he spent time with the villagers. One day Sensei Wu found him meditating at the bottom of a frozen lake and took him on as a student, leading to his obtaining the Shurikens of Ice and the Ice Dragon, whom he named Shard. The other Ninja found Zane hard to understand, as he often didn't comprehend their sense of humor or customs. However, they did appreciate his cooking ability, which curiously was an ability not programmed into him by his father. Once, Zane's peculiar character traits caused the ninja to grow infuriated with him. He left after they all scolded him for something that was not his fault. Despite his friends' cruel words, Zane he returned un-offended, and they re-accepted him. Onwards Zane's relationship with the other ninja grew strong. After learning the truth about himself and regaining his memories, Zane unlocked his true potential. During the battle with the Overlord's Stone Army, Zane learned that his father had been revived by Samukai after finding him trapped on an island. After fighting against the Overlord and his forces for some time, Zane sacrificed himself to defeat the Overlord's Golden Master incarnation, and was dubbed the Titanium Ninja for his sacrifice. However, he managed to download himself into Cyrus Borg's computer network and built himself a new, more advanced body out of titanium. He has wielded the Shurikens of Ice, the elemental Blade of ice, and the blue Techno Blade. Zane's ninja vehicles have included the Ice Claw Snowmobile, a Ninja Hovercopter, and the Ultrasonic Raider that he copilots with the other Ninja; as of season 4 he is the only Ninja never to pilot a mech into battle. His Spinjitzu tornado is white. While he didn't take part in Chen's Tournament of Elements, he was the second Elemental Master to harness the power of an Elemental Dragon (The first being Lloyd, who gained his powers during a showdown with the Overlord Dragon)
- Cole Brookstone/Black Ninja (voiced by Kirby Morrow) - Cole is the Black Ninja of Earth, the son of a famous dancer, Cole resented his father's pushing him into the family legacy, particularly his efforts to teach him a nigh-impossible move known as the Triple Tiger Sashay. Sensei Wu found him climbing one of the highest mountains in Ninjago, but upon signing on for Ninja training Cole told his family that he was attending a dancing school. He eventually became the owner of the Scythe of Quakes and the Earth Dragon, whom he named Rocky. Cole eventually earned his father's approval with his own style, and after mastering the Sashay unlocked his true potential. In season 3, he competes with Jay over Nya, while in season 4 he is one of the 16 elemental masters in Master Chen's tournament. He has wielded the Scythe of Quakes, the Elemntal Blade of Earth, and the green Techno Blade. Cole's ninja vehicles have included the Tread Assault, the Earth Driller, the Earth Mech, and the Boulder Blaster Rotor type Fighter Jet. His Spinjitzu tornado is brown, and he can summon a dragon composed of his element.
- Lloyd Montgomery Garmadon/Green Ninja/Golden Ninja (voiced by Jillian Michaels) - Lloyd is the son of Misako and Garmadon, the nephew of Sensei Wu and is both the Green Ninja of Creation and the Golden Ninja of Legend. Lloyd was left at Darkley's Boarding School by his mother due to his father taking the path of evil, with Misako setting out to find a way of preventing the prophesied final battle between father and son. A mischievous boy, Lloyd tried to follow in his father's footsteps, only to foolishly release the Serpentine from their tombs. He was eventually taken in by his uncle, and was captured by the Serpentine while trying to find out their plans. Upon being rescued by his father and the Ninja, it was made known by Kai that he was the Green Ninja destined to face the Dark Lord in the final battle-leading everyone to believe that he was to fight his own father. The four senior Ninja took Lloyd under their wing, and his training and powers were enhanced when his age was accelerated by the act of saving the others from his father's Grundle monster. Lloyd became the master of the Ultra-Dragon, the fused form of the four elemental Dragons, and though he lacked a Golden Weapon possessed the power of all four elements. After unlocking the power of the Golden Dragon, a fighting style practiced by his paternal grandfather, the First Spinjitzu Master, Lloyd learned that his destiny was not to fight his father, but rather the evil Overlord previously faced by his predecessor. In season three, he loses most of his golden power to the Overlord, and splits the rest between the other ninja, restoring their elemental power. His Spinjitzu tornado was at first green, then after he became the ultimate Spinjitzu master, it became gold. But since his golden power was lost, his tornado color has returned to green, and the golden energy dragon he could previously summon is now colored green as well. Lloyd becomes the leader of the Ninja in season four and banishes his father to the Cursed Realm to release the deceased Anacondrai generals that can stop Chen and his army. Lloyd is the only Ninja not to have a regular weapon but has several vehicles like an Elemental Cycle, his grandfather's golden mech, and the Jungle Raider.
- Nya Smith/Samurai X (voiced by Kelly Metzger) - Nya is Kai's younger sister, whose kidnapping by Garmadon and the Skullkins leads Kai to become a Ninja. She also fights under by her alter ego "Samurai X," initially concealing her identity from the Ninja and their enemies. Jay develops a crush on her when they first meet, and throughout the first two seasons she reciprocates his feelings. They later become official boyfriend and girlfriend. However, during the Digital Overlord/Golden Master arc, she starts questioning whether or not she may be more drawn to Cole because of a machine that claimed he was her perfect match. Though not a Ninja, Nya apparently has some skill in Spinjitzu; while briefly under the influence of dark matter, her technique produced a dark red tornado. She has the greatest assortment of weaponry, including various gadgets, a large battlesuit, and a weighted chain. Season four revealed that, like Kai, Nya is descended from the Elemental Master of Fire, and thus may possess latent talent with that element. In battle she often pilots her Samurai X mech, and in season 4, created and drove the Ninja DBX mobile headquarters.
- Sensei Wu (voiced by Paul Dobson) - The Ninjas' first teacher and leader as well being the uncle of Lloyd Garmadon. He and his brother Lord Garmadon are the sons of the First Spinjitzu Master, who created Ninjago through the power of Spinjitzu. Their father tasked them with protecting his Golden Weapons, but when Garmadon who was bitten by the Great Devourer and turned evil, Wu was forced to fight him and banish him to the Underworld. He then hid the Golden Weapons and began seeking out pupils worthy to carry on the legacy of Spinjitzu, and eventually found Cole, Zane, Jay, and Kai. Though his students succeeded in recovering the Golden Weapons, he found them to be childish upon learning of the prophecy of the Green Ninja. He also faced the challenge of dealing with his nephew Lloyd, who attempted to follow in his father's footsteps by unleashing the evil Serpentine. Recognizing the danger, he sought out his estranged brother, and the two briefly joined forces in order to rescue Lloyd. When it was learned that Lloyd was in fact the destined Green Ninja, Wu participated in his training but allowed his four pupils to take the lead. Sensei Wu confronted Pythor in an attempt to prevent the rise of the Great Devourer, and was swallowed by the Devourer along with his foe, but emerged unharmed thanks to the unlikely cooperation between his brother and students. Wu remained with the Ninja as they continued to face the threat of Lord Garmadon and the Serpentine, and later when the Overlord returned. During this time he was reunited with his old friend-and former crush-Misako, Lloyd's mother, and for a time it seemed like they might pick up their old relationship; however, Lloyd's defeat of the Overlord saw Garmadon returned to the side of good. In Season Three he got captured by The Digital Overlord and tuned into Tech Wu to serve The Overlord Virus as its lackey. In "Enter The Digiverse", after The Ninja defeated The Digital Overlord, Wu is turned back to normal. In the fourth season he learns that Garmadon forged his signature on a letter written by Wu to Misako, which was a major factor in Misako's decision to marry Garmadon. However, he is eventually able to forgive his brother for this. His Spinjitzu tornado is gold, and he usually wields a plain bamboo staff, though during his time as a cyborg it was black with red markings and possessed electrical properties.
- Lord Garmadon/Sensei Garmadon (voiced by Mark Oliver) - Formerly Lord Garmadon, Sensei Garmadon is the father of Lloyd Garmadon and the husband of Misako, and the brother of Sensei Wu and one of the sons of the First Spinjitzu Master. In his and Wu's youth, an unfortunate encounter with the snake that became the monstrous Great Devourer led to Garmadon being infected with its evil venom, which affected his appearance and personality. It would not be until years later-after he married Misako and they had Lloyd-that the growing evil in his heart would lead him to try and take his father's Golden Weapons for himself. The resulting confrontation with Wu resulted in him taking on a black, skeletal appearance prior to being banished to the Underworld, where he overthrew Samukai and took control of the Skulkin. He then orchestrated a plan to escape by having the Skulkin kidnap Nya, Kai's sister, and seek out the Golden Weapons, which led Sensei Wu and the Ninja to seek them out as well. Eventually, Samukai obtained them all and announced his intent to betray Garmadon, but played right into Garmadon's hands-no being could possess all four weapons ordinarily, and Samukai's attempt to do so led to his destruction and the creation of a portal that allowed Garmadon to escape. Garmadon traveled to a dark dimension where he obtained the power to wield all four weapons at once, and an additional set of arms in the process. When Wu came in search of him, he attempted to destroy him but was then informed that Lloyd was in danger, which led him to briefly join forces with the Ninja. During this time, it became known that Lloyd was the Green Ninja of legend, meaning that father and son would have to face each other in battle. However, it would later be revealed that the prophecy of the Green Ninja facing the Dark Lord referred not to Garmadon, but the Overlord, an ancient enemy of Garmadon and Wu's father. The Overlord tricked Garmadon into upsetting the balance of Ninjago, allowing him to return and possess Garmadon's body. However, Lloyd managed to defeat the Overlord, which purified Garmadon of all his evil and returned him to normal human form. For a time he swore never to fight again, but later took up arms again to help fight the Digital Overlord and save Lloyd. During season four he was forced to confront his old teacher Master Chen, who persuaded him to lie to win Misako's affection, and his former rival Clouse, a practitioner of dark magic. During the conflict he was changed-along with all of Chen's current and former disciples-into an Anacondrai, but later allowed himself to be banished to the Cursed Realm in order to halt Chen's evil. His Spinjitzu tornado was purple, but after Garmadon's transformation, he didnt use his spinzitzu,so his spinzitzu colour is unknown
- Misako Garmadon (voiced by Kathleen Barr) - Lloyd's mother and Garmadon's wife. She knew Wu and Garmadon in their youth, and enjoyed a close bond with both brothers — after Garmadon turned evil, she once remarked that she should have chosen to marry Wu. Misako somehow recognized that her son was the Green Ninja of Legend, and left him at a boarding school in order to pursue a means of preventing the prophesied battle between her husband and son from coming to pass. She eventually returned to Ninjago after the defeat of the Great Devourer, having learned of the evil Overlord and his Stone Army. Lloyd was initially unhappy to see her, having felt abandoned, but reconciled with her after learning her true motivation for leaving him at the school. She and Wu renewed their friendship, and for a time it seemed that they might become a couple. However, Misako never ceased to love Garmadon, and was overjoyed when he was purified of the evil that had poisoned him for so long. She remained at their monastery during the events of the third season, but played a bigger role in season four.
- Grand Sensei Dareth/Brown Ninja (voiced by Alan Marriott) - A vain man identifying himself as "Grand Sensei", though he is nothing of the kind. He is the keeper of "Mojo Dojo" (a small training building in Ninjago) and wishes to become "the Brown Ninja". By his own confession, he is hopeless at the martial arts where even all of his trophies are fake. He later tries to defend the city from the Stone Army, but he is no match for them. In the end however, he plays a pivotal role in the Ninja's victory, using the Helmet of Shadows to take control of the Stone Army and using them against the Overlord. During the third season he takes charge of the students of Sensei Wu's academy while their teachers-Wu, Nya, and the ninja-are fighting the Digital Overlord. He returns in season four, with Nya reluctantly taking him along on her journey to Master Chen's island, where he provides some assistance to her due to his abilities as a "Master of Disguise expert." Unfortunately, he manages to get himself caught by Chen's forces, but is later freed and joins the Ninja in their efforts against the reborn Anacondrai tribe.
- Primary Interactive X-ternal Assistant Life Form (P.I.X.A.L.) (voiced by Jennifer Hayward) - A droid of Borg Industries who Zane falls in love with in Season Three. After Ninjago's power is briefly shut down, she is powered by half of Zane's power source, and begins to reciprocate his feelings for her. For a time the two had Zane's fighting ability split between them, but Zane's destruction and subsequent rebuilding into the Titanium Ninja put an end to this. By unknown means, P.I.X.A.L. and Zane both fell into the hands of Master Chen and his Anacondrai Cult, and P.I.X.A.L.'s body was scrapped. However, her processor survived and was able to communicate with the captive Zane, who later installed it in himself to allow P.I.X.A.L. to be his constant guide and companion.
- Cyrus Borg/OverBorg (voiced by Lee Tockar) - A disabled man who recreated Ninjago City, making it technologically advanced. He is the owner of Borg Industries, and is controlled by the Overlord via cyborg implants (becoming OverBorg) on and off in season 3. However, his true loyalties are to the Ninja, and he strives to make up for his error, constantly helping the citizens of Ninjago. Borg uses a wheelchair, though he briefly employed a vehicle with six robotic legs that was taken control of by the Overlord.
- Skylor Chen/Orange Ninja (voiced by Heather Doerksen) - Skylor was one of the sixteen competitors in Master Chen's Tournament of Elements as the Elemental Master of Amber, with the power to absorb and use the Elemental Power of any other competitor. She is Master Chen's daughter, and initially sides with her father in his bid to claim all the Elemental Powers and transform himself and his followers into Anacondrai. However, she later recognizes her father's evil ways with help from Kai (with whom she falls in love) and turns against him, but later has her own powers used to cast the spell. Despite being turned into an Anacondrai herself, she fights against her father during the renewed Serpentine War, and is later returned to normal and takes over the family noodle restaurant chain after her father is defeated. Skylor inherited her powers from her mother, and is the only Elemental Master involved in the tournament not to have manifested an Elemental Dragon.
- Ed and Edna Walker (voiced by Colin Murdock and Jillian Michaels) - Jay's father and mother, respectively. Both are inventors and live at a junkyard. At first, Jay was resisting them due to them repeatedly embarrassing him, until the Fangpyre attack, forcing Jay to come to their aid. The whole matter drew them ever closer to each other.
- Dr. Julien (voiced by Mark Oliver) - An inventor who created Zane, which makes him, to all intents and purposes, Zane's father. After he wiped Zane's memory (so the poor boy would not have the pain of losing him) and died, he was revived by Samukai through a special elixir and forced to create their advanced machines. Imprisoned on an island and guarded by a Leviathan, he was only freed when the Ninja drifted and ran aground. He helped repair their ship and escaped with them. He is seen in "Tick Tock" as a flashback and in person in "The Last Voyage". In his first appearance in "Tick Tock", he was credited as "Zane's father"; though in the credits to The Last Voyage, they listed him by the title of The Tinkerer. Julien provided support to the ninja during their final battles with the Overlord and his stone army, creating new vehicles for them and even flying the Bounty solo to save Lloyd from the Overlord. The first episode of season three reveals that he has once again passed away, as Cyrus Borg offers Zane his condolences.
- Lou Brookstone (voiced by Kirby Morrow) - Cole's father and a member of the former singing group called the Royal Blacksmiths. Cole ran away from the family legacy of dance. Cole's reunion with his father and settling family problems awarded the ninja of earth with his true potential.
- The First Spinjitzu Master - An ancient peacekeeping figure who created the world of Ninjago in ancient times using the Four Golden Weapons of Spinjitzu, only to be faced by the evil of the Overlord. The two fought to a standstill, at which point the Overlord created and animated an army of Stone Warriors made of an indestructible material. Unable to overcome this force, the Spinjitzu Master used his power to break Ninjago into two continents, with one becoming the fabled Dark Island. He charged his sons, Wu and Garmadon, with guarding the Golden Weapons, and hid his Golden Mech in the Temple of Light on the Dark Island in preparation for the Golden Ninja who would face the Overlord upon his return, who turned out to be his grandson, Lloyd Garmadon.
The Elemental Masters are people who descended from the First Spinjitzu Master's personal guardians, who also fought in the Serpentine War. They, like the Ninja, possess elemental powers.
- Karlof (voiced by Scott McNeil) - The Elemental Master of Metal, who wears large gauntlets and can turn his entire body into metal. He is the first one eliminated from the Tournament, and the first to lose his Elemental Power. He and Cole worked together to make the Boulder Blaster to escape the Noodle Factory and help the remaining Elemental Masters.
- Griffin Turner (voiced by Doron Bell) - The Elemental Master of Speed.
- Ash (voiced by Brent Miller) - The Elemental Master of Smoke. He is the fourth one eliminated from the Tournament, and the fourth to lose his Elemental Power.
- Bolobo (voiced by Michael Adamthwaite) - The Elemental Master of Nature. He is the second one eliminated from the Tournament, and the second to lose his Elemental Power.
- Gravis (voiced by Kirby Morrow and Mark Oliver) - The Elemental Master of Gravity. He is the third one eliminated from the Tournament, and the third to lose his Elemental Power.
- Neuro (voiced by Paul Dobson) - The Elemental Master of Mind who discovers that Chen plans to use a spell, and tells the ninja, becoming an important helper in the battle against the Anacondrai.
- Toxikita - Although she is from the Ultra Agents theme originally, she and Mr. Pale appear in season 4. She is the Elemental Master of Poison. She is the seventh one eliminated from the Tournament, and the eighth to lose her Elemental Power.
- Invizable/Mr. Pale (voiced by Kirby Morrow) - Although he is from the Ultra Agents theme originally, he and Toxikita appear in season 4. He is the Elemental Master of Light.
- Jacob Pevsner (voiced by Paul Dobson) - The Elemental Master of Sound. He is the fifth one eliminated from the Tournament (after Cole), and the sixth to lose his Elemental Power.
- Chamille (voiced by Maryke Hendrikse) - The Elemental Master of Form. She is the sixth one eliminated from the Tournament, and the seventh to lose her Elemental Power.
- Shadow (named Shade in Ninjago Tournament App) (voiced by Andrew Francis) - The Elemental Master of Shadow. He was suspected as a spy for Master Chen, when in reality it was Skylor.
- Lar - The Elemental Master of Water, and the only one besides Zane not to compete in the Tournament of Elements. He did not appear in the Anacondrai Cult arc.
- The Overlord/The Golden Master (voiced by Scott McNeil) - The true Dark Lord in the Green Ninja prophecy and the Golden Master. He battled the First Spinjitzu Master in the ancient war before being banished to the evil half of Ninjago, called the Dark Island, trapped there for a long time until Lord Garmadon washed up on the island's shores and broke the seal. The Overlord "guided" Garmadon in his efforts to conquer Ninjago and corrupt it into his own image; in reality he sought to upset the balance of the world enough to allow him to return. Upon succeeding, he possessed Garmadon, whose body mutated until it took on a dragon-like form after the Overlord's Stone Army conquered Ninjago City. However, he was defeated by Lloyd using the Golden Power, which purified Garmadon of his spirit and seemingly destroyed him. In Season Three it has been revealed that he had survived the battle and became a computer virus in Borg Tower and took over New Ninjago City, building an army of Nindroids. He planned to take Lloyd's golden power to escape the digiverse and become The Golden Master just like in the Serpentine prophecy in "The Curse of the Golden Master". When he gained 90 percent of Lloyd's power, he became a purple blob creature and planned to take the Four Golden Weapons of Spinjitzu, which had survived "Wrong Place, Wrong Time", landing on a comet, to complete the transformation. In "The Titanium Ninja", he finally became the Golden Master, then he was destroyed by Zane in a big explosion which marked the end of the Overlord and most of the Nindroid army.
- The Great Devourer - A giant snake worshiped as a god by the Serpentine, known to be very dangerous and deadly with the ability to increase its size by consuming anything in its path, including its own kind. The Great Devourer is the main cause of the events in the series as it was responsible for turning Garmadon evil through its venom, and it was the creature Pythor intended to release to exact revenge on the people of Ninjago. But the Great Devourer proved to be beyond anyone's control, swallowing Pythor and Sensei Wu alive, the former suffering side effects from exposure to the serpent's stomach acid, and running rampant on Ninjago with the Ninja unable to subdue it. However, in the end, the Ninja manage to lure the Devourer into a trap during its siege of Ninjago City, allowing Lord Garmadon to destroy the Great Devourer with the power of the Golden Weapons in revenge for the grief and madness it caused to him. Despite its death, the monster's venom still seeps into Ninjago City's sewage system, eventually reawakening the Stone Army.
- Morro (voiced by Michael Dobson) - Morro was banished to the Cursed Realm a long a time ago. When the Anacondrai Generals were freed from the Cursed Realm, Morro also escaped. He appears in the final seconds of "The Corridor of Elders" where he shouts 'Morro'. He might possess Lloyd in season five.
The Skullkins are a breed of living skeletons who were once ruled by Samukai. After becoming their leader, Garmadon sent the Skullkins to Ninjago to find the Four Golden Weapons of Spinjitzu, to which they do so. The Skeleton army is defeated by the Ninja, though Samukai tries to use the Weapons himself. The power of the weapons destroys him, allowing Garmadon to escape his imprisonment and leaving the Skeletons leaderless. However, Garmadon rebands the Skeletons and leads them to rescue the Ninja and help them steal the Fang Blades from the Serpentines, as part of the temporary alliance Garmadon made with the ninja to stop the Serpentines's leader Pythor from unleashing the Great Devourer, the very same giant snake who turned Garmadon evil. The Skeletons are willing to help along with this because, as Kruncha comments 'Everybody hates snakes'.
- Samukai (voiced by Michael Kopsa) - The four-armed Skeleton Fire General and former leader of the Skullins. Once a creature of the living world banished to the Underworld by the sons of the First Spinjitzu Master, he was the King of the Underworld until he was defeated by Lord Garmadon when he was banished to the Underworld, causing him to step down and allow Garmadon to become the new King and control the legions of the Underworld. Samukai led the Skeleton Army in the Surface World of Ninjago, carrying out Garmadon's orders and seeking the Golden Weapons of Spinjitzu. Soon, Samukai possessed the four weapons and betrayed Garmadon, only to be vaporized by the power of the weapons combined. Samukai is the first character in Ninjago to have four arms as well as the first to hold all four Golden Weapons, the second being Lord Garmadon. He is also one of the few characters in the series to have died, and one of the few who have been defeated permanently.
- Kruncha and Nuckal (both voiced by Brian Drummond) - Skeleton Generals of Earth and Lightning respectively, who serve Samukai. They led the raid on Kai and Nya’s shop, helped (and hindered through their clumsiness) Samukai and Lord Garmadon in their quests for the weapons and led the army against the Ninja. They were two of the few skeletons stranded in Ninjago during the Serpentine Crisis in the first season, teaching at the Darkly’s School for Bad Boys, though they later quit. They lead the Skeleton Army into battle with Garmadon against the Serpentine to rescue the Ninja, and are also seen celebrating after the destruction of the Great Devourer. In the second season, they are seen participating in the Ninjaball Run Race in the Skeleton Truck. They drag Lloyd on the Ultra Dragon down, but crash their own vehicle in the process. They also appeared in "The Invitation", where Kruncha fights Kai in the Slither Pit, and later as inmates of Crypterium Prison.
- Wyplash (voiced by Michael Dobson) - Skeleton General of Ice. He is presumed to be the new King of the Underworld following Samukai's demise and Garmadon's disappearance.
- Frakjaw (voiced by Trevor Devall) - Skeleton of Fire.
- Krazi (voiced by Trevor Devall) - Skeleton of Lightning. He is the most violent skuling.[clarification needed]
- Chopov (voiced by Trevor Devall) - Skeleton of Earth. He is said to be the creator of the skulkin vehicles, but Dr. Julien was the one who was forced to build them. Dr. Julien refused, so the Skulkin trapped him with a chained Leviathon.
- Bonezai (voiced by Trevor Devall) - Skeleton of Ice.
The Serpentine are a breed of vicious snakes. Originally a race created by the first Spinjitzu master, they held a prophecy that foretold the coming of the Golden Master. Their attempts to warn the humans resulted in them being driven underground, partly because both sides were manipulated by Master Chen. Released by Lloyd Garmadon, the Serpentine attempted to conquer Ninjago several times under the leadership of Pythor, Lord Garmadon, and finally Skales. However, after losing in battle to the Overlord's Stone Army, the Serpentine made a home for themselves underground and later aid the people of New Ninjago City escape the Golden Master's attack and then against Master Chen's army of new Anacondrai.
- The Anacondrai - An honor-bound anaconda-type Serpentine tribe that is the most feared of the Serpentine, able to turn themselves invisible. While their leading members were exiled to the Cursed Realm, the rest of the Anacondrai were trapped underground and apparently resorted to cannibalism until only Pythor remained. However, Master Chen and his group of cultists sought to bring them back, using dark magic to become Anacondrai themselves.
- Pythor P. Chumsworth (voiced by Michael Dobson) - The general and last remaining member of the Anacondrai, unique among his kind due to his elongated neck and habit of swallowing people larger than himself. Unlike his kind, Pythor is cowardly and dishonest yet has an arrogant sense of pride. While his tribe were sealed away, the Anacondrai Tribe had no food source and ultimately fell to starvation and cannibalism with Pythor becoming the sole survivor. Upon being released, Pythor pretended to be Lloyd's ally to steal the map to the Serpentine tombs to release the Constrictai and the Venomari Tribes. Soon after finding the lost city of Ouroborus, through deceit and an alliance with Skales, Pythor becomes the first Snake King of all Serpentine. It becomes clear soon that Pythor had been driven insane by his imprisonment and his hatred of the surface dwellers, using the allegiance of the tribes to unleash the Great Devourer to exact revenge on people of Ninjago for locking up the Serpentine underground. As the series progressed, Pythor has finally managed to collect all four Silver Fang Blades, despite the oppression from the Ninja, Lord Garmadon, and the Skeleton Army, realizing too late that the Great Devourer would consume everything in its path, including himself alongside Sensei Wu. In season 3, Pythor is revealed to had survive his ordeal within the Great Devourer's stomach with his scales bleached white as he went into hiding. Still adamant on revenge against the humans, Pythor aids the Overlord by converting Sensei Wu into Tech Wu and then tricking the ninja into giving him a beacon leading him to Lloyd. He swallows the shrinking pill that was meant for the Overlord in "The Titanium Ninja" and is chased by the Falcon. In season four he is among the many inmates of Crypterium Prison, and reveals to the ninja that the Anacondrai were tricked into attacking the humans during the war. He is captured by Chen and his sweat is used to make the new Anacondrai permanent, but he manages to discover a means of defeating them by releasing the spirits of the Anacondrai generals. In gratitude, for the doing the right thing for one, Arcturus restores Pythor to his original size.
- Arcturus (voiced by Scott McNeil) - An Anacondrai general from the first Serpentine war who fought against the original Elemental Masters under Wu and Garmadon. Upon the defeat of the Serpentine, he and the other Anacondrai generals were exiled to the Cursed Realm, where they became disembodied spirits, though Arcturus' prominence led to a constellation being named after him. His name was also given to the Overlord's efforts to reach the Golden Weapons in space in order to become the Golden Master. It was later revealed that Arcturus had been tricked into thinking that the humans would attack the Serpentine. Sensei Garmadon later allowed himself to be sent to the Cursed Realm to free Arcturus and the others, who then cursed Chen's new army of Anacondrai for tarnishing their good time dishonorably. Arcutus and his brethren then thank Lloyd for his heroism of using the spell before departing to rest in peace.
- The Hypnobrai - A cobra-type Serpentine tribe that specializes in mind-control. They were locked in a frozen tomb in a tundra. All of them have red eyes they use to hypnotize victims (which explains that their name is a pun on "Hypnotize"). The symbol of the staff and the Hypnobrai has a hypnotizing shape like a swirl. Their color is blue. Among its members are:
- Skales (voiced by Ian James Corlett) - The current general of the Hypnobrai tribe, usurping Slithraa though his mastery of 'Fang-Quan-Do'. In the first season he is Pythor's second in command in return of faking his defeat by the Anacondrai general. After the Devourer's defeat, in the second season, Skales attempts to claim leadership even when he stated that he warned them that waking the Great Devourer wasn't a good idea. Lord Garmadon arrives to challenge Skales and wins the Serpentine over with the recreated Destiny's Bounty as their new home. Eventually fed-up with Garmadon's repeated failures, he and the others ursurp Garmadon and he claims leadership, leaving Garmadon to be stranded on the Dark Island. As the Snake King, his first order was to dig under Ninjago City and imprison the citizens underground just as they did to the Serpentine. While doing so, Skales discovers the Stone Army tomb and opens it, but the Devourer's venom seeps into the Stone Warriors and they easily overpower the Serpentine, leaving them imprisoned once again, much to Skales' distress. However, the Serpentine survived, reshaping the former army's cavern into their new home. In the process, Skales married Selma, a pink female Hypnobrai, and the two had a son whom they named Skales Jr.And he joined the Second Serpentine War which help the ninjas to against the Anacondrai.
- Selma (voiced by Jillian Michaels) - Selma is a pink Hypnobrai who resembles Mezmo and the wife of general Skales. During the time of imprisonment, Skales and Selma had a son named Skales Jr. Selma is known to be protective of her son.
- Skales Jr. (voiced by Alyssya Swales) - Skales' son by Selma, he is a legged Serpentine that resembles Rattla, who wears blue human clothes. As part of the newest generation of Serpentine, he seems to lack the malevolence previously exhibited by his father. Like the other young Serpentine, he was raised to fear the coming of the "Golden Master", a being with the power of the First Spinjitzu Master who would subjugate the world.
- Slithraa (voiced by John Novak) - The previous general of the Hypnobrai, he accidentally hypnotized himself after he attacked Lloyd when the boy fell into their tomb. Eventually, he is defeated by Skales and is forced to hand over their tribe's leadership to him. His latest appearance is in "The Titanium Ninja" when he helps put people in the sewers.
- Mezmo (voiced by Michael Adamthwaite) - He is a soldier of the Hypnobrai tribe. He is mostly seen eating rather than fighting, like eating cotton candy while the others chase Samurai X's Mech which stole the Hypnobrai Fangblade. The designs on him are like Slithraa's except white, with his head flaps a bit shorter. His hands and arms are gray. He is also the judge of the Slither Pit, where he has absolute authority, even over his superiors.
- Rattla (voiced by Paul Dobson) - He is the scout of the Hypnobrai tribe. He has a normal dark blue minifigure head with a gray piece with markings on top that he shares with Snappa. He is seen in most of the season one and season two episodes, with two appearances in season three.
- The Fangpyre - A pit viper-type Serpentine tribe who specializes in venomous bites that transforms the victim into a Serpentine (depending on their element) with snake-like traits. Strangely if a Fangpyre bites a vehicle, it transforms instantly. But if they bite a person, it takes a long time for them to transform (probably because the person's immune system fights the transformation). Their anti-venom, as with the other Serpentine Tribes, is located inside the staff of their tribe. If a Fangpyre bites another Fangpyre, the Fangpyre grows another head, resulting in the slightly comedic quirk that each head speaks halves or thirds of a sentence if it is long enough. The sign of the staff and the Fangpyre are fangs with a snake tongue sticking out. Among its members are:
- Fangtom (voiced by Mackenzie Gray) - The two-headed General of the Fangpyre tribe and an old friend of Skales, his condition the result of accidentally biting himself. When Lord Garmadon buys the Serpentines' loyalty, Fangtom loses his standing with the Fangpyre, though he eventually regained his place with them after Skales became their leader.
- Fangdam (voiced by John Novak) - The two-headed warrior of the Fangpyre tribe. He is exactly alike to Fangtom but he doesn't have a tail.
- Fang-Suei (voiced by Michael Adamthwaite) - He is a soldier for the Fangprye tribe and was responsible for Fangdam's two-headed appearance. He has Fangdam's design but he's white colored instead of red. He wears a necklace with five fangs on it and has red arms and white hands.
- Snappa (voiced by Paul Dobson) - He is the scout of the Fangpyre tribe. He has a red head with black make-up on. He has a white hood piece that he shares with Rattla. He has the same designs as Fang-Suei. He wears a necklace with two fangs on it. Snappa's arms and hands are white.
- The Constrictai - A boa constrictor-type Serpentine tribe who specializes in constricting anyone and burrowing underground at a fast speed. They're also the shortest and the dumbest of all Serpentine tribes, but they are second strongest after the Anacondrai. The sign of the staff and the Constrictai is orange and has three rings connectings to each other representing constricting. The anti-venom in the staff awakens those knocked out when being choked. They were sealed within the Mountain of a Million Steps until released by Pythor. Among its members are:
- Skalidor (voiced by John Novak) - The General of the Constrictai tribe, using his tail to constrict his victims instead of his hands. He has silver spikes on his head. He has yellow eyes. He is the shortest general but is a dim-witted brute. When Lord Garmadon buys the Serpentines' loyalty, Skalidor loses his standing with the Constrictai, though he later regains it and is the first to support Skales as the Serpentine King. He has an orange rock-like design on his body and a silver stone tied to the right of his chest. Most of his body is black and he has gray arms and black hands.
- Bytar (voiced by Kirby Morrow) - He is the strong (second to Skalidor) Constrictai warrior, seen with others doing Pythor's dirty jobs such as digging, and harming the ninjas. He has the same design as Skalidor but doesn't have a silver stone on his chest. He has orange spikes on his head and his left eye is shut all the time. His right eye is yellow. He has gray arms and black hands.
- Chokun (voiced by Vincent Tong) - He is the soldier of the Constrictai Tribe. He has the same head form as Fang-Suei. His head his gray and the top of it is silver. Most of his body is orange. He has two gray, cracked stones on his body with white line-like designs surrounding the stones. He has gray arms and blacks hands.
- Snike (voiced by Brent Miller) - He is the scout of the Constrictai tribe. He has a gray head and the top of it is orange with a gray design. He has two black, cracked stones with a smaller one under it. There is also a white line-like design reaching only halfway across the body. He has orange arms with black hands.
- The Venomari - A spitting cobra-type Serpentine tribe with odd tusks and multiple eyes who specializes in spitting a hallucination-inducing venom. They were sealed in a tomb within poisonous swamps until Pythor released them. The symbol of the staff and the venomari is green with drops of venom coming out of the symbol. Among its members are:
- Acidicus (voiced by Paul Dobson) - He is the General of the Venomari tribe, creator of the venom vials his tribe carries in case they run dry during combat. He has six white spikes on his head and two more on the sides of his mouth. It's known that Skalidor and Acidicus' relationship resembles Kruncha and Nuckal's. Most of his body is green. Acidicus has green arms with black hands. He has a wide, light green PAC-MAN design with small red triangles on each side. When Lord Garmadon buys the Serpentines' loyalty, Acidicus loses his standing with the Venomari. Later on during season 3, he tells the ninja about the Curse of the Golden Master.
- Lizaru (voiced by Vincent Tong) - Lizaru is the warrior of the Venomari tribe. He has the same kind of head as Acidicus but the six spikes on his head are green. Most of his body is light green. He has two black scars on his body. Lizaru has two vine-like designs and two red spots on the sides of his body. He has green arms and black hands.
- Spitta (voiced by Kirby Morrow) - He is the soldier of the Venomari Tribe. Spitta has no spikes on his head or on the sides of his mouth either. He has two black scars on his body and, like Lizaru, he has two vine-like designs that hold red bottles of venom. He has green arms and black hands. Spitta's fangs are so large and produce so much venom that it leaks.
- Lasha (voiced by Brent Miller) - He is the scout of the Venomari tribe. His most notable feature is the fact that he is missing an eye. He, like most Venomari, carries bottles of venom.
The Stone Army
The Stone Army was an army of living samurai statues created by the Overlord during the Stone Wars to fight against the First Spinjitzu Master. After the war, they were trapped underground in a tomb which the Serpentine later discovered. However, the Great Devourer's destruction spread its venom across Ninjago, and the Stone Army were awakened and soon fell under the control of their old master. They fought against the Ninja on several occasions, but were eventually turned against the Overlord when his Helmet of Darkness fell into the possession of Dareth. Following the Overlord's defeat, the army vanished, along with their considerable arsenal.
- General Kozu (voiced by Paul Dobson) - Leader of the Stone Army, he has four arms, and served as the direct subordinate to both Garmadon and the Overlord. Unlike the rest of the army, he could apparently speak both their ancient tongue and English, and was colored differently than his troops.
- Stone Warrior - Strongest of the Stone Army.
- Stone Swordsman - Normal soldiers in the Stone Army.
- Stone Scout - Weakest in the Stone Army.
- Giant Stone Warrior - A massive version of the normal Stone Warriors discovered by Misako and awakened by the Great Devourer's venom. The ninja found themselves unable to defeat him through conventional means, or even through Lloyd's powers. His defeat came through tricking him into standing on a disguised bottomless pit. Despite this, he later returned as an inmate of Crypterium Prison, and one of many who sought vengeance against the Ninja.
The Nindroid Army
The Nindroids were created by the Overlord (controlling P.I.X.A.L.) as his new army following the Stone Army's defeat. They share many attributes with the Ninja, but cannot perform Spinjitzu. They were led by General Cryptor, though they answered to Pythor after he formed an alliance with the Overlord. After many engagements with the Ninja, they were destroyed along with the Overlord, though some were imprisoned. Cyrus Borg also employed Nindroids as security units, though it is unknown whether he reprogrammed existing Nindroids or created new ones using the same designs. All the Nindroids were capable of cloaking themselves, flying using jets in their feet and collapsible wings built into their backs, and could wield either katana, sai, or laser guns in addition to their built in weapons. They also utilized a number of vehicles, most formidably the Destructoid tank vehicle equipped with a number of different weapons.
- General Cryptor (voiced by Richard Newman) - Leader of the Nindroids. He, unlike other Nindroids, loves insulting his opponents in battle, habitually mocking Nya for being a girl and Min-Droid for his short height. He was the Digital Overlord's second in command until Pythor came along, and made sure that the Anacondrai knew where the Nindroids' true loyalties lay. Cryptor engaged the Ninja multiple times but was defeated, and during his last fight with Nya was goaded into insulting Min-Droid, who proceeded to attack his commander-both later perished when the Overlord was destroyed. Cryptor typically wore a pair of katana that he used in battle, though he also utilized a laser beam built into one of his eyes.
- Nindroid Warrior - The foot soldier of the Nindroid army.
- Min-Droid - The last Nindroid off of factory line; he, unlike other Nindroids, has short legs due to the factory running out of metal. Despite this, he was a dangerous fighter, and not fond of having his height mocked.
The Anacondrai Cult
The Anacondrai Cult was a sneaky criminal organization created at an unknown time by Master Chen, while he was training Lord Garmadon. They worship the fallen Anacondrai Tribe of Serpentine-each of them having at least one Anacondrai tattoo-and set out to restore them by transforming themselves into Anacondrai. While they succeeded in this plot and invaded Ninjago, they were defeated when the spirits of the true Anacondrai generals were released from the Cursed Realm and sent the Anacondrai Cult there in their place.
- Master Chen (voiced by Ian James Corlett) - Leader of the Condrai Cult, who organized the Tournament of Elements as a ruse to drain all of the Elemental Masters' power using his Staff of Elements. Chen was once Garmadon's sensei, and convinced him to sign his name to a letter written by Wu in order to woo Misako. During the Serpentine War, he tricked both sides into thinking that the other would attack, and then sided with the Serpentine while turning the Elemental Masters against each other. At the end of the war he was banished to an island for his crimes, but established a successful chain of restaurants in Ninjago. He captured Zane and P.I.X.A.L., using the former to lure the other four ninja into joining his tournament, planting his daughter Skylor, who inherited her elemental power of Amber from Chen's unseen ex-wife, into the tournament to spy on the the Ninja and all the other Elemental Masters to keep them from banding together against him. Unfortunately for Chen, Skylor's growing feelings for Kai and her recognition of his evil path turned her against him, though he did manage to use her power of Amber to complete his plan to transform his cult into Anacondrai. He then invaded New Ninjago City, capturing Pythor in order to use his sweat to make the transformation permanent, and revealing the truth of Garmadon's old deception to Wu and Misako. However, he met his end when Garmadon allowed himself to be banished to the Cursed Realm, freeing the Serpentine General spirits to whom Chen had lied previously. They then cursed Chen, sending him and his followers into the Cursed Realm, and Chen's pleas for help went unheeded by his daughter, who finally saw her father for the monster he was.
- Clouse (voiced by Scott McNeil) - A dark wizard who is Chen's second-in-command and Lord Garmadon's old rival. The two competed for Chen's favor as his students, but Clouse lost because Garmadon cheated. Clouse and Chen were both exiled from Ninjago, but Clouse returned to gather the contestants for the Tournament of Elements. He was reunited with his old rival as a result, and throughout the tournament he and Garmadon continued to clash, Garmadon usually foiling his attempts to sabotage the ninja with his magic. Clouse's spell book and magical abilities were a key part of the Cult's plan to become Anacondrai, but after the Staff of Elements was destroyed they had to change plans. Clouse never saw the fruition of their efforts, however, as an attempt to banish Garmadon to the Cursed Realm during their final showdown resulted in his own banishment. He had a large purple snake pet that may be related to the Anacondrai, but it was killed by the escaping Elemental Masters.
- Eyezor (voiced by Michael Donovan) - A Condrai Cult member, he only has one eye and has a black mohawk.
- Zugu (credited as Sumo Zumo) (voiced by Brian Dobson) - A Condrai Cult member; he has red armour.
- Sleven - A Condrai Cult member.
- Krait - A Condrai Cult member.
- Kapau/Kapau'rai - A Condrai Cult member who is best friends with Chope. The two of them took on their names in hope of getting attention from Master Chen, and ended up serving as his seconds-in-command following Clouse's exile.
- Chope/Chop'rai (voiced by Ian Hanlan) - A Condrai Cult member frequently in the company of Kapau, and who with him captured Skylor and read the spell that employed her Elemental Powers to turn the Cult members into Anacondrai.
|First aired||Last aired|
|Pilots||4||January 14, 2011|
|1||13||December 2, 2011||April 11, 2012|
|2||13||July 18, 2012||November 21, 2012|
|3||8||January 29, 2014||November 26, 2014|
|4||10||February 23, 2015||April 3, 2015|
Release and reception
All episodes feature a theme song called "The Weekend Whip" performed by The Fold.
Due to the positive reception of the pilot, a full series was commissioned and began broadcast in December 2011. The first five episodes of season 1 aired in Canada on November 25. The season once again aired in Canada from January 11, 2012, to April 11, 2012. The first two episodes of season 1 aired in the United States on December 2. The season once again aired in the United States from January 11, 2012, to April 11, 2012.
Lego Ninjago was recommissioned for a second season, which premiered on July 18, 2012, to an audience of 2.8 million. On the whole, the series has been very well received by fans. In late September, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment announced that it would be releasing the first part of the second season ("Darkness Shall Rise" to "The Stone Army") under the title Rise of the Green Ninja in November 27, 2012 (though this was later pushed forward to December 11), while the complete second season and the complete series has been released on March 5, 2013. A third season was made and premiered on January 29, 2014. In June 2013, Warner Bros. announced that a movie based on the toyline would be made, though it would take a different approach to the TV series. It will be written by the Hageman Brothers, who also wrote the story for The Lego Movie.
The series has been nominated twice for awards: Peter Hausner was nominated at the 39th Annie Awards for his direction, but lost to Simpsons director Matthew Nastuk. The composers Michael Kramer and Jay Vincent, were nominated for the BMI TV Music Award, which they won.
A video game named Lego Battles: Ninjago was released in spring 2011 and was based on the two pilots of the series. It features the some of the characters that appear in the original episodes (Kai, Jay, Zane, Cole, etc.).
A follow-up titled Lego Ninjago: Nindroids was released in July 2014. It features the first five episodes of season 3.
The Hageman brothers, who wrote the animated series and as well The Lego Movie (which Lloyd Garmadon appeared in as a Master Builder) will be penning the film adaptation and the film will feature a new take that diverges from the TV series while being one of the spin-offs of The Lego Movie. The brothers will reteam with The Lego Movie team of Dan Lin, Roy Lee, Phil Lord, and Chris Miller will produced the film and Charlie Bean (animator) to direct the film.
- The Deadline Team. "Cartoon Network Unveils Upfront Slate For 2014-15". Deadline. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- "Lego Ninjago Series 1 on Amazon.com". Amazon.com. Retrieved July 26, 2012.
- "Lego Ninjago business section on IMDb". IMDb. Retrieved September 9, 2012.
- "LEGO Club Magazine". lego.com. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- "Skylor - Characters - Ninjago LEGO.com". lego.com. Archived from the original on March 1, 2015. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- "Karlof - Characters - Ninjago LEGO.com". lego.com. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
CNS4was invoked but never defined (see the help page).
Cite error: The named reference
- "Premiering exclusively on Cartoon Network – LEGO Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu". Lego Group. Retrieved February 16, 2011.
- "Lego Ninjago review". Commonsense Media. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- David Lambert. "Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu - Short Delay for Warner's 'Rise of the Green Ninja' DVD Release". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- "Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu – Warner Press Release Announces 'Rise of the Green Ninja' DVD". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved September 28, 2012.
- Scott Collura (June 27, 2013). "LEGO's Ninjago Gets a Movie". IGN. Retrieved 2013-06-28.
- "Awards for "Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu"". IMDb. Retrieved 2013-01-21.
- "Lego Ninjago pilot episodes on Amazon.com". Amazon.com. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Lego Ninjago Series 1 on Amazon.com". Amazon.com. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- Tatiana Siegel. "Warner Bros. to Bring Lego's 'Ninjago' to Big Screen (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- Borys Kit. "'Tron: Uprising' Director to Helm 'Ninjago' for Warner Bros. (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- Official website
- Ninjago at Lego.com
- Lego Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu at the Internet Movie Database