Niobrara County, Wyoming
|Niobrara County, Wyoming|
Location in the state of Wyoming
Wyoming's location in the U.S.
|• Total||2,628 sq mi (6,806 km2)|
|• Land||2,626 sq mi (6,801 km2)|
|• Water||2 sq mi (5 km2), 0.08%|
|• Density||0.946/sq mi (0.365/km²)|
Niobrara County is a county located in the U.S. state of Wyoming. The population was 2,484 at the 2010 census, making it the state's least populous county. Its county seat is Lusk. It is west from the Nebraska-South Dakota state line.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 2,628 square miles (6,810 km2), of which 2,626 square miles (6,800 km2) is land and 2 square miles (5.2 km2) (0.08%) is water.
- Weston County (north)
- Custer County, South Dakota (northeast)
- Fall River County, South Dakota (east)
- Sioux County, Nebraska (southeast)
- Goshen County (south)
- Platte County (southwest)
- Converse County (west)
National protected area
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,407 people, 1,011 households, and 679 families residing in the county. The population density was 1 person per square mile (0/km²). There were 1,338 housing units at an average density of 0 per square mile (0/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 98.05% White, 0.12% Black or African American, 0.50% Native American, 0.12% Asian, 0.50% from other races, and 0.71% from two or more races. 1.50% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 35.1% were of German, 18.7% English, 11.2% Irish and 5.7% American ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 1,011 households out of which 27.10% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.60% were married couples living together, 6.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.80% were non-families. 29.50% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.10% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.28 and the average family size was 2.81.
In the county the population was spread out with 22.60% under the age of 18, 6.10% from 18 to 24, 26.00% from 25 to 44, 26.60% from 45 to 64, and 18.70% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 95.20 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.80 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $29,701, and the median income for a family was $33,714. Males had a median income of $25,909 versus $17,016 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,757. About 10.70% of families and 13.40% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.00% of those under age 18 and 15.60% of those age 65 or over.
Government and infrastructure
The Wyoming Department of Corrections Wyoming Women's Center is located in Lusk. The facility was operated by the Wyoming Board of Charities and Reform until that agency was dissolved as a result of a state constitutional amendment passed in November 1990.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Long, John H. (2006). "Wyoming: Individual County Chronologies". Wyoming Atlas of Historical County Boundaries. The Newberry Library. Retrieved 2011-09-06.
- Urbanek, Mae (1988). Wyoming Place Names. Missoula, MT: Mountain Press Publishing Company. ISBN 0-87842-204-8.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Contact Institutions." Wyoming Department of Corrections. Retrieved on August 22, 2010.
- "About the Department of Corrections." Wyoming Department of Corrections. Retrieved on August 22, 2010.
||Weston County||Custer County, South Dakota|
|Converse County||Fall River County, South Dakota|
|Platte County||Goshen County||Sioux County, Nebraska|