|Jewelry||Barbell, captive bead ring|
|Healing||8 to 12 months|
A nipple piercing is a body piercing, centered usually at the base of the nipple. It can be pierced at any angle but is usually done horizontally or, less often, vertically. It is also possible to place multiple piercings on top of one another. Some people have noted that they can take up to a year and a half to heal fully. It is recommended that if stretching a nipple piercing, the piercee waits at least the healing time of their piercings between stretches.
The perforation of the nipple to apply jewelry has been practiced by various people throughout history. Male nipple piercing was reported to be done by the Karankawa Native Americans, female nipple piercing is practiced by the Kabyle people in Algeria.
Nipple-piercing was a fashion statement dating back to the 14th century and having a short-lived revival among society women during the Victorian period around 1890. However, the historian Lesley Hall has commented that these claims might be traced back to a few letters published in the magazine Society during 1899, which can be judged as erotic fantasies rather than descriptions of actual activity.
In the late 1970s, the practice was revived again by Jim Ward and gained foothold in gay BDSM and leather subcultures. The mainstream popularity of the practice is partly due to celebrities who publicly displayed their piercings or confessed to have one in the 1990s, such as Tommy Lee, Corey Taylor and Lenny Kravitz. Nipple piercing has gained much popularity in recent years with many celebrities and fashion models having this type of piercing. Despite this, many are motivated to get a nipple piercing for personal reasons including for self-expression and to feel unique. Furthermore, at least one study has shown people take, on average, 1–2 years to make a decision to get pierced.
Nipple piercing and sensitivity
Sexual arousal created by nipple and areola stimulation is reported to be enhanced by piercing of the nipple. Most women claim an increase in sensitivity and arousal after having their nipples pierced. As a result of a surge of information exposing the sexual enhancement aspect of a pierced nipple, there has been a reported increase of men and women requesting this procedure.
For a long time I could not understand why I should consent to such a painful operation without sufficient reason. I soon, however came to the conclusion that many ladies are ready to bear the passing pain for the sake of love. I found that the breasts of those who wore rings were incomparably rounder and fuller developed than those who did not. My doubts were now at an end...so I had my nipples pierced, and when the wounds were healed, I had rings inserted...with regard to the experience of wearing these rings, I can only say that they are not in the least uncomfortable or painful. On the contrary, the slight rubbing and slipping of the rings causes in me an extremely titillating feeling, and all my colleagues I have spoken to on this subject have confirmed my opinion.
Nipple piercing and breastfeeding
A common question among women who consider nipple piercings is how it may affect breastfeeding. There is no evidence to suggest that proper nipple piercings can cause any complications with lactation. A letter in the Journal of the American Medical Association suggests improperly pierced nipples and scarring may result in blocked ducts.
It is recommended that good care be taken to prevent infection by using a piercing professional and good body piercing aftercare. Frequent re-piercings can also damage the nipple and cause complications. It is also recommended that the piercing be healed before breastfeeding. Most body piercing professionals will refuse to pierce a pregnant woman for this reason and because piercing causes stress on the body that could potentially complicate a pregnancy.
Several complications have been noted involving breastfeeding with a piercing present, so it is recommended to remove nipple jewelry before nursing. Several complications resulting from nursing with nipple jewelry inserted can include poor latch, slurping, gagging, and milk leaking from the baby's mouth.
It can also be a potential choking hazard for the baby. As the baby sucks, the ends on a barbell (if worn) may come loose and could possibly lodge in the baby's throat (a captive bead ring, properly inserted, would lessen the risk of anything becoming loose, falling out, and lodging in the throat). The baby's gums and tongue as well as the soft and hard palate could be injured by the jewelry.
There is no evidence that pierced nipples will affect your ability to breastfeed. Your breasts will still produce adequate milk for your baby, and unless your body rejected the piercing right after you had it done, there is no reason to anticipate any additional problems with infection. It is unlikely that the holes that are left in your nipple will cause a problem. Each nipple has between fifteen and twenty tiny nipple pores that the milk comes out of, so even if some were damaged, there should be plenty left for nursing. Breast surgery often damages the milk ducts inside the breast, and this can definitely create problems. The situation with nipple piercing is very different.—Dr. Kendall-Tackett
The nipple is fleshy enough to pierce securely behind plenty of skin to prevent rejection. However, if the jewelry gauge is too thin or the piercing is not deep enough to begin with, there is a risk of rejection. Metal allergies, infections, or excessive pulling/tugging can also cause the piercing to be rejected.
Death due to complications resulting from nipple piercings may have occurred, as have serious infections resulting in the removal of a breast after getting a nipple ring, but typically, a nipple piercing will take two to four months to heal fully.
A nipple piercing gained considerable media attention after Super Bowl XXXVIII, during which Janet Jackson exposed her right breast on which she had a nipple shield applied to a piercing. This incident is humorously called Nipplegate. Nicole Richie set off an alarm at the Reno-Tahoe International Airport as she passed a metal detector with her nipple piercing. Pink had her nipple pierced backstage after a concert she was giving in Germany; in the presence of her mother. The whole scene was filmed and later published on her DVD Pink: Live in Europe. Christina Aguilera had all her piercings removed except for her right nipple piercing. Also, R&B singer Cassie has both of her nipples pierced. Pictures of her breasts were posted on the Internet when someone hacked into her private photographs. Pop singer Rihanna had her nipple piercing exposed first in the same way and later in a Lui magazine pictorial.
Other female celebrities that are known to have nipple piercings include:
- Lisa Lopes
- Alice Burdeu
- Agyness Deyn
- Freja Beha Erichsen 
- Pixie Geldof 
- Abbey Lee Kershaw 
- Rooney Mara
- Davina McCall 
- Christina Aguilera 
- Catherine McNeil 
- Cecilia Mendez
- Amber Rose
- Lara Stone
- Candice Swanepoel
- Cassie Ventura
- Erin Wasson
Notable males with pierced nipples include:
- Seth Binzer
- Jaye Davidson
- Evan Davis
- Neil Patrick Harris
- Bill Kaulitz
- Lenny Kravitz
- Tim Roth
- Steve Vai
- Mark Hoppus
- Reece Mastin
- Mark Salling
- Matthew Wolfenden
- Howard Donald
- Johnny Ruffo
- Corey Worthington
||Constructs such as ibid., loc. cit. and idem are discouraged by Wikipedia's style guide for footnotes, as they are easily broken. Please improve this article by replacing them with named references (quick guide), or an abbreviated title. (April 2014)|
- Horvath, Eddie (February 21, 2013). "Piercings". Diversity Studio.
- DeMello, Margo (2007). Encyclopedia of Body Adornment. Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 204. ISBN 978-0-313-33695-9. Retrieved October 3, 2011.
- Patrick, Bethanne Kelly (2009). An Uncommon History of Common Things. National Geographic Books. p. 125.
- Hall, Lesley A. "Victorian Sex Factoids".
- Mayers, LB; Judelson, DA; Moriarty, BW; Rundell, KW (2002). "Prevalence of Body Art (Body Piercing and Tattooing) in University Undergraduates and Incidence of Medical Complications". Mayo Clinic Proceedings 77: 29–34. doi:10.4065/77.1.29.
- Caliendo, Carol; Armstrong, Myrna; Roberts, Alden (2005). "Self-reported characteristics of women and men with intimate body piercings". Issues and Innovations in Nursing Practice. 49(5): 474–484.
- Chase, Kristen. "An added benefit to nipple piercing". Mominatrix. Imperfect Parent.
- Hudson, Karen L. "Nipple Piercing Questions and Answers". About.com.
- Heiti, Harry (January 8, 2010). "Odd Body Piercings? Got a bunch to choose from". Official Spin.
- Morrison, Cheyenne (1998). "Body Piercing History". Australia: The Piercing Temple.
- Martin, Jahaan (June–July 1999). "Nipple Piercing: Is It Compatible with Breastfeeding?". LEAVEN (Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA: La Leche League International) 35 (3): 64–65.
- Deacon, Jane P.; et al. (June 24, 2009). "Association of Nipple Piercing With Abnormal Milk Production and Breastfeeding". Journal of the American Medical Association (letter) 301 (24).
- Armstrong, ML; Caliendo, C; Roberts, AE (2006). "Pregnancy, Lactation and Nipple Piercings" 10 (3). AWHONN Lifelines. pp. 212–7.
- "Nipple Piercing And Breastfeeding - Are They Compatible?". Medical News Today. 22 July 2006.
- Greenblatt, Anne; et al.. "Nipple Piercings And Breastfeeding". Piercing FAQ. Stason.org.
- "Breast Tattoos, Nipple Piercings and Breastfeeding". Pregnancy.org. Retrieved October 1, 2011.
- Ubelacker, Sheryl (March 11, 2006 (updated April 5, 2009)). "Nipple Piercing May Have Led to Teenager's Death". The Globe and Mail (The Canadian Press). Retrieved October 3, 2011. Check date values in:
- Hill, E. D. (November 16, 2006). "The Good, the Bad and the Helpful...". Fox News. Retrieved October 3, 2011.
- Scudder, MS, Laurie E. "Teens and Body Art – Into the Mainstream". WebMD LLC.
- Jacobs VR, Golombeck K, Jonat W, Kiechle M (2003). "Mastitis nonpuerperalis after nipple piercing: time to act". International Journal of Fertility and Women's Medicine (review) 48 (5): 226–31. PMID 14626379.
- "Nicole Richie's Nipple Piercing Sets Off Alarm". Contactmusic.com Ltd. 16 July 2004.
- "Aguilera Removes Famous Piercings". Contactmusic.com Ltd. 16 August 2004.
- Thompson, Katherine (May 8, 2009). "Naked Rihanna! Nude Photos Hit Web – With a Nipple Ring". The Huffington Post. Retrieved October 3, 2011.
- "Rihanna Shows Pierced Nipple on Lui Cover [NSFW PHOTOS]". WGRD-FM. April 29, 2014. Retrieved April 30, 2014.
- url =http://aquarious12493.blogspot.com/2010/02/lisa-lopes-mad-rhymes-magazine-photo.html
- "10 Models With Piercings". FrontRowView. 2011-06-21.
- "14 Celebs With Naughty Piercings". The Frisky. May 13, 2013.
- "Topless Geldof Reveals Piercing". Contactmusic.com. 31 August 2009.
- "Mara Rooney Piercing Nipples for New Role". New York Post. October 18, 2010. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- Hardie, Beth (3 April 2012). "Davina McCall reveals she has horns on her loins, an alien on her bum and a nipple piercing". Mirror.
- "Rihanna Flashes Pierced Nipple In Revealing New Years Eve Look". Thegloss.com. Retrieved 2012-11-04.
- "Amber Rose Topless Showing Nipple Rings (NSFW Pics)". Forbez DVD Blog. 11 April 2011.
- "Candice Swanepoel Nipple Piercing". Beverly Hills Honeys. 2011-03-18. Retrieved 2012-11-04.
- Cassie Has Nipple Rings and Complex Can Prove It!
- To join the mainstream, have your body pierced - The Baltimore Sun
- Farndale, Nigel (1 July 2007). "Evan Tempered". The Daily Telegraph.
- "Shirtless Neil Patrick Harris Reveals Nipple Piercing at Playboy Mansion". Yahoo News. 29 October 2012.
- "NEWS; Bill kaulitz New Piercing!!! (sic)". Tokio Hotel Rocks.
- AFPRelaxnews (19 July 2011). "Lenny Kravitz to design new Miami hotel". LUXUO Luxury Blog.
- McLellan, Jim. "On the Edge".
- "Down Deep Into The Pain". VAIdeos. VAI.com.
- "The Urethra Chronicles - Hidden Photoshoot Clip".
- http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/reece-mastin-and-rhiannon-fish-enjoy-pda-at-telethon-in-perth/story-e6frfmqi-1226515126812. Missing or empty
- http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/48531132.html. Missing or empty
- http://www.digitalspy.com.au/gayspy/s101/dancing-on-ice/gayspy/a361884/lets-play-a-game-of-spot-matthew-wolfendens-nipple-ring.html#~oAEnszxzWaAkHh. Missing or empty
- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2033019/Take-That-Howard-Donalds-nipple-piercing-good-Ibiza-holiday.html. Missing or empty
- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2548489/Johnny-Ruffo-reveals-nipple-piercing-frolics-beach-Home-And-Away-star-Demi-Harman.html. Missing or empty
- http://tragicallymainstream.wordpress.com/. Missing or empty
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nipple piercings.|