Nirmalendu Goon in Dhaka (2006).
21 June 1945 |
Netrokona, Bengal, British India (now Bangladesh)
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
Nirmalendu Goon (born 1945) is one of the most popular Bangladeshi poets known for his accessible verse. He was born in Kashbon in Barhatta in Netrokona, undivided India, present day Bangladesh.
His first book of poetry was published in 1970. Since then he has published forty five collections of poetry and twenty collections of prose. Part of the generation of poets of 1960s, Goon's poetry contains stinging criticism of the nouveau riche and a touching description of the contrasting fate of the masses. A love of freedom and faith in the human spirit also permeates many of his poems. An avowed Marxist, Goon has also written poems urging an upheaval of the poor against the rich. He also has written a number of poems on important personalities, including Rabindranath, Sheikh Mujib, Lenin, Shakti Chattopadhyay and others.
He drew the cover of his first book of poetry. In late years he started to paint on a regular basis. The first exhibition of his paintings was held in the seminar room of Public Library, Dhaka in July 2009.
- Ānandaudyāna (1995) ISBN 984-458-089-7
- Bhrami deśe deśe (2004) ISBN 984-8682-90-2
- Caitrera bhālobāsa (1975)
- Cirakālera bām̐śi (1986)
- Dhābamāna hariṇera dyuti (1992)
- Dūra ha duḥśāsana (1983)
- Gadyasamagra (1997) ISBN 984-412-041-1 (v. 1)
- Gīnasabārgera saṅge (1994)
- Kābyasamagra (1992-1993)
- Muthophone'r Kabbo (2003) ISBN 984-410-324-X
- Nā premika, nā biplabi (1972)
- Nāma diẏechi bhālobāsa (1998)
- Nirañjanera pr̥thibi (1986)
- Nirbācita (2000) ISBN 984-437-116-3
- Nirguṇera jārṇāla (1987)
- Nirmalendu Guṇera premera kabita (1987)
- Nirmalendu Guṇera rājanaitika kabitā (1989)
- Pañcāśa sahasra barsha (1995) ISBN 984-458-100-1
- Premāṃśura rakta cāi (1970)
- Priẏa nārī hārāno kabitā (1996)
- Pr̥thibījoṛā gāna (1982)
- Racanā 2000 (2001) ISBN 984-8245-62-6
- Raktajharā Nabhembara 1975 (1997) ISBN 984-458-121-4
- Śaktismr̥ti o anyānya (1997)
- Selected poems of Nirmalendu Goon (2001) ISBN 984-07-4125-X
- Śiẏare Bāṃlādeśa (1998) ISBN 984-458-146-X
- Tāra āge cāi samājatantra (1979)
- Yakhana āmi bukera pān̐jara khule dān̐rāi (1989)
|"Maybe I’m no human, humans are different;
They can walk, they can sit, and they can wander room to room
They are different; they are afraid of death, scared of snakes."
|— From Nirmalendu Goon's "Maybe I'm No Human" (in S M Maniruzzaman's translation)|
- Translation of a poem on 1971
- Translation of Goon's 'Tumi Choley Jaccho' (You are leaving), by Faizul Latif Chowdhury