|Born||November 1, 1963
|Alma mater||University of Mumbai (B.Com)|
|Occupation||Chairman of Dhirubhai Ambani Foundation
Chairman of Dhirubhai Ambani International School
Co-Owner of Mumbai Indians
Additional Director for Oberoi Hotels & Resorts
|Known for||Reliance Industries, Mumbai Indians, Philanthropy|
|Children||Isha, Anant and Akash|
|Relatives||Mamta Dalal (sister)|
Nita Ambani (born November 1, 1963) is an Indian businesswoman and the founder and chairperson of the Dhirubhai Ambani International School. She is the wife of industrialist Mukesh Ambani. She is actively involved in various philanthropic activities in the fields of education, human resources and disaster relief. Nita Ambani also is the co-owner of the Mumbai Indians cricket team and is actively involved in Project Drishti, a social initiative taken by Reliance Industries (RIL) and National Association for the Blind.
Nita Ambani, born November 1, 1963, grew up in the suburbs of Mumbai and hails from a middle-class family. Her father was a senior executive in Birla. She has always had a keen interest in Indian classical dance and wanted to pursue a career in dance. While her mother aspired for her to become a chartered accountant, she now holds qualifications as a teacher and an interior designer. She is also a commerce graduate from Narsee Monjee College of Commerce and Economics.
Nita Ambani has been associated with Dhirubhai Ambani International School since its inception in June 2003. She is the chairperson of the school. The school is considered one of the premier schools in Mumbai and is one of the 37 in India that offer the International Baccalaureate Program. She has headed the Dhirubhai Ambani Foundation, which is a non-profit organization primarily devoted towards the promotion of education and health care services for the poor and under privileged in India. She also serves on the board for Oberoi Hotels & Resorts. She remains as a non-executive director for the same. This is also her first honorary position outside of Reliance Industries Limited.
Mrs. Ambani heads the Dhirubhai Ambani Foundation. She is also part of Reliance Industries and UNAIDS partnership which is aimed towards halting and reversing the HIV epidemic in India. She spearheads Project Drishti, a unique initiative by RIL and NAB, with a vision to give sight to blind people from the underprivileged segment at no cost. Under the project, she started a Hindi fortnightly newspaper in Braille.
Nita Ambani is the wife of Mukesh Ambani, the richest man in India and the eldest daughter-in-law of Late Sh. Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Industries Limited. They have two sons, Ananth and Akash, and a daughter,Isha.
Awards and honors
- Recipient of the Samaj Seva Vishwa Bhushan at the Bharat Nari Shakti award function which was held on the International Women’s Day in 2005.
- Awarded 'Corporate Citizen of the Year -2012' by All India Management Association (AIMA)
- Conferred Honorary Doctorate(Degree of Doctor or Letters) By Sri Chandrasekharendra Saraswathi Viswa Mahavidyalaya SCSVMV, University of Kanchipuram for her contribution in the field of education, philanthropy and social work.
- "How Nita Ambani was courted". Hindustan Times. 2009-01-02. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- Sengupta, Somini (2008-05-07). "Bright Lights and Big Money in India’s New Cricket League". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- 14 Oct, 2010, 04.26PM IST,PTI (2010-10-14). "Nita Ambani to lecture at London School of Economics on Friday - The Economic Times". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "Project Drishti: Restoring sight to the blind". Meri News. 8 Feb 2008.
- "Nita Ambani | Nita Ambani – First Corporate Lady Of India". Reliance News. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "Nita M. Ambani". Da-is.org. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- Priya Tanna (2005-08-19). "Nita Ambani speaks her mind". DNAIndia.com.
- Rajiv Sharma (2010-05-06). "DAF in Nita Ambani's Responsible Hands". Indiaprwire.com. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- ET Bureau (2010-10-31). "Nita Ambani appointed as Additional Director in EIH Board". Economic Times.
- TNN, Oct 15, 2010, 06.20am IST (2010-10-15). "Nita Ambani to deliver lecture at LSE - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- By Max, on June 7th, 2010 (2010-06-07). "Nita Ambani". Theconsumerism.com. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "Reliance Foundation launches first Hindi mag in Braille, IBN Live News". Ibnlive.in.com. 2011-05-10. Retrieved 2012-03-20.
- "India's young billionaire heirs and heiresses". Retrieved 7 January 2014.
- "Nita Ambani awarded Samaj Seva Vishwa Vibhushan - Smt. Nita Mukesh Ambani, President, Dhirubhai Ambani Foundation, was awarded the 'Samaj Seva Vishwa Vibhushan' at the hands of H.E. Shri S.M. Krishna, Governor of Maharashtra, at the Bharat Nari Shakti 200". Press.xtvworld.com. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "Will spread education into India's interiors: Nita Ambani". Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Doctorate for Nita Ambani". Hindu Business Line. 17 Oct 2013. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- Nita Ambani, Chairperson Dhirubhai Ambani International School
- Foundation to help society
- Reliance likely to nominate Nita Ambani to EIH board
- Join the movement that is India, Nita Ambani tells the world at LSE