Nitrome Limited, commonly known as Nitrome, is an independent game development company based in London. The company makes Flash-based games. Their games are recognizable by the pixel art design and cartoon-like appearance, along with a jingle to the start of every game and the use of chiptune. Nitrome was originally started by Mat Annal and Heather Stancliffe, two graphic designers, intending to create games for mobile phones. Instead, the company began taking on commissions Internet-based flash games. Nitrome's games are published on their website and are often available to license on other websites such as Miniclip and MTV Arcade.
Nitrome's creation stemmed from a conversation between Mat Annal and Heather Stancliffe, in which Annal suggested that they make a game for mobile phones. Stancliffe was initially hesitant, but was persuaded that it could be a successful idea. The temporary website for their upcoming project was first launched on April 3, 2005, with a preview video of Chick Flick, their intended first game. Since then, Nitrome has made around 120 flash games, and are venturing into mobile phone and PC gaming, as their current flash games aren't providing enough revenue.
The games made by the company are divided into four main categories. "Hearted" are the games that have received the most hearts from the heart button below every game, and are thus considered the most popular. "All Games" is a list of all games produced by Nitrome. "Picks" are games chosen by the Nitrome team as their most unique , whilst "Multiplayer games" are designed for more than one person to play at once. Games can be in more than one category.
Most of the games are divided into levels (usually between 10 and 100), and also give the player the option to replay any level they have completed, even if they have lost. Some games also feature the concept of bosses.
In July 2009, Nitrome Limited released Twin Shot 2, their first game to use MochiCoins, a system allowing players to pay for extra content in browser games. Mat Annal said that Nitrome were "trialling" and that they "don't intend to use it in every game". They used MochiCoins again in B.C. Bow Contest, which they have updated twice. MochiCoins, however, are being discontinued by Mochi, and Nitrome won't use them in any more of their games.
Nitrome.com 1.0 is the first version of Nitrome.com. It was launched on April 5, 2005, and was small at the time. The website did not stay up long, as it was replaced by Version 1.5 in 2006, between 8 and 16 November.
Nitrome 1.5 was a previous version of the Nitrome Limited website, With a slightly different game grouping, no "heart" system, and subtitled pictures instead of icons.
New features include: more content on the front page, RSS feeds and the introduction of Hearting, Sharing and Tweeting.
The current version, as of July 19, 2013. Nitrome accounts added.
- "about us". Nitrome Limited. 2006-06-19. Archived from the original on 2005-04-06. Retrieved 2009-0294. "One day Mat said to Heather: "Y'know all this web stuff's ok, but wouldn't it be great if we could just make whatever we wanted?" [...] "I don't think anyone's gonna give us free reign [sic] to do just do whatever we want!" [...] "Well, why don't we make a mobile phone game?""
- "Web Page Launched". Nitrome Limited. 2005-04-03. Archived from the original on 2005-04-06. Retrieved 2009-02-04. "We've launched our temporary web page today."
- "Chick Flick Video". Nitrome Limited. 2005-04-03. Archived from the original on 2005-04-06. Retrieved 2009-02-04. "Exclusive first showing of our soon-to-be-finished java mobile phone game."
- "Nitrome - Hearted games".
- "Nitrome - All Games".
- "Nitrome - Picks".
- "Nitrome - Multiplayer Games".
- "MTV Arcade".
- Annal, Mat (2009-07-20). "Twin Shot 2: Good and Evil". Nitrome Limited. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- Annal, Mat (2009-06-25). "Twin Shot 2... more info". Nitrome Limited. Retrieved 2009-07-20.
- Annal, Mat (2012-07-19). "Mochi Coins to be Discontinued!". Nitrome Limited.
- "nitrome". Archived from the original on December 1, 2006. Retrieved August 6, 2012.