December 25, 1971 |
Paras, Maharashtra, India
|Fields||Bacterial Genomics and Molecular Epidemiology|
|Institutions||University of Hyderabad (2008 -) Universiti Malaya (2010 -) and Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research (2013 -)|
|Alma mater||Manipal University (Ph.D)|
|Notable awards||National Bioscience Award, Infection Genetics and Evolution Medal, Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry|
Training and career
Ahmed graduated in Veterinary Medicine in 1995 (Nagpur) and obtained further degrees in Animal Biotechnology (MS) (NDRI, Karnal) and Molecular Medicine (PhD) (Manipal University). In December 2008 he joined the University of Hyderabad as a member of the Faculty and presently serving as Chairman of the Department of Biotechnology and Bioinformatics. Ahmed is also affiliated with the University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia as a Visiting Professor of Molecular Biosciences at the Institute of Biological Sciences. He also serves as Adjunct Professor of the Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research, New Delhi.
Professional contributions and Fellowships
Niyaz Ahmed served as Section Editor (Genomics and Microbiology) of PLoS ONE (from August 2008 to September 2013), published by the Public Library of Science (PLoS), USA. Currently, he is providing editorial oversight to the "PLoS ONE Prokaryotic Genome Collection". Ahmed also serves as a member of the PLoS International Advisory Group. He has been the founding Editor-in-Chief of Gut Pathogens, published by BioMed Central Ltd. (London). Ahmed is a member of the International Society for Genomic and Evolutionary Microbiology (Italy) and currently serves as its General Secretary. He is also a member of the Faculty of 1000 Biology and has been elected to the Indian National Academy of Sciences. Ahmed served as an expert evaluator/panelist for the research proposals submitted to European Commission's Seventh Framework Program. Ahmed was admitted as Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry in January 2015.
Editorial Board Positions
In addition to those mentioned above, Niyaz Ahmed is the member of the editorial boards of the following important journals:
1) Emerging Microbes and Infections 2) Systems and Synthetic Biology 3) Infectious Agents and Cancer 4) Annals of Clinical Microbiology and Antimicrobials 5) Journal of Molecular Engineering and Systems Biology 6) F1000 Research 
Graduate teaching and research
Ahmed teaches courses in 1) Molecular Biology (laboratory), 2) Metagenomics, 3) Biosafety and Intellectual Property 4) Research Ethics and Management and 5) Comparative Systems Modeling to Master's and Doctoral students, at the School of Life Sciences, University of Hyderabad. His current research interests include genomics, evolution and molecular pathogenesis of the two co-evolved human pathogens, namely, Mycobacterium tuberculosis and Helicobacter pylori, in the context of evolution of adaptation mechanisms, and acquisition and optimization of virulence during colonization/infection. Ahmed also has interest in comparative genomics of bacterial pathogens obtained from single patients at different occasions and this approach nurtures his concept of 'chronological evolution and replicative genomics' as tools to study host-microbe interaction over time. Ahmed's group has developed a widely used multilocus sequence typing scheme for species level identification of pathogenic Leptospira with a potential to replace the highly ambiguous serotyping method that currently is used for Leptospiral strain identification. Ahmed has also worked extensively on the nomenclature, taxonomic status, genome sequencing and functional characterization of Mycobacterium indicus pranii, a non-pathogenic mycobacterial species with very high translational promise as an immunotherapeutic.
Important Awards and Honors
(1) National Bioscience Award for Career Development- 2011; (2) Shyama Singh and Balamati Devi Award - Indian Association for the Advancement of Veterinary Research - 2007 (3) Academy Professor, Academy of Scientific and Innovative Research, New Delhi (Adjunct) - selected April 2013
- Home page of Dr Niyaz Ahmed
- PLoS ONE -Prokaryotic Genome Collection
- PLoS International Advisory Group
- Faculty Member - Niyaz Ahmed
- "The National Academy of Sciences, India - Life Members". 2009-10-05. Retrieved 2009-10-05.
- Emerging Microbes and Infections
- Systems and Synthetic Biology
- Infectious Agents and Cancer
- Ann Clin Microb Antimicrobials
- J Mol Engg Systems Biol
- Ahmed, N.; Devi, S.; Valverde Mde, L.; Vijayachari, P.; Machang'u, R.; Ellis, W.; Hartskeerl, R. (2006). "Multilocus sequence typing method for identification and genotypic classification of pathogenic Leptospira species". Annals of clinical microbiology and antimicrobials 5: 28. doi:10.1186/1476-0711-5-28. PMC 1664579. PMID 17121682.
- Mycobacterium indicus pranii