1960 (age 54–55)
|Alma mater||University of Nairobi
(Bachelor of Arts in Economics)
(Master of Arts in Economics)
University of Gothenburg
(Doctor of Philosophy in Economics)
|Occupation||Central Bank Governor|
Central Bank of Kenya
Professor Njuguna S. Ndung'u is a Kenyan economist, university professor and economic researcher. He is the current Central Bank Governor of the Central Bank of Kenya, a position he has occupied since 2007. Following a successful first four-year term, he was re-appointed to another four years on 4 March 2011.
Background and education
He was born in central Kenya in 1960. He studied Economics at the University of Nairobi, earning both the Bachelor of Arts in Economics and the Master of Arts in Economics from the university. His Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), also in economics, was obtained from the University of Gothenburg in Sweden.
Prior to his appointment as Governor of the Central Bank of Kenya, Ndung'u was the Director of Training at the African Economic Research Consortium. He has lectured in advanced economic theory and econometrics at the University of Nairobi, where he earned the title of "Associate Professor of Economics". He also worked as the Regional Programme Specialist for the Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Office, Nairobi, of the International Development Research Centre (IDRC), Canada; and at the Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research and Analysis (KIPPRA) as a Principal Analyst/Researcher and Head of the Macroeconomic and Economic Modelling Division.
Ndung'u has had extensive research and teaching work in various fields of economics, including macroeconomics, microeconomics, econometrics and poverty reduction. A long-time researcher and trainer with the AERC and MEFMI network, he has published in international journals as well as chapters in various books on economic policy issues, inflation, interest rate and exchange rate issues, financial management, public sector growth, external debt, financial liberalization in Anglophone Africa, structural adjustment, as well as on employment and labour market issues. He is an Associate Professor of Economics at the University of Nairobi.
- Durden, Tyler (5 July 2013). "Kenya's Njuguna Ndung'u Shows Australia How It's Done, Cuts Rate By 100 Basis Points Due To "Increase In Economic Confidence"". ZeroHedge.Com. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- "PROFILE - Kenya's Central Banker Governor Njuguna Ndung'u". Reuters. 19 June 2012. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- Executive Profile, . "Njuguna S. Ndung'u Ph.D. - Governor, Central Bank of Kenya". BusinessWeek. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- Business, . (20 November 2011). "Is It time for Professor Ndung’u To Celebrate As The Shilling Edges Up?". The EastAfrican]]. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- "Shool of Economics, University of Nairobi: Professor Njuguna Ndung'u". University of Nairobi, School of Economics. Retrieved 21 October 2014.