|Elevation||3,900 ft (1,200 m)|
|Population (2011 Estimate)|
The town's name translates into White Chicken in English.
Nkokonjeru is located in Buikwe District, approximately 20 kilometres (12 mi), by road, southwest of Buikwe, the location of the district headquarters. The town is also located approximately 45 kilometres (28 mi), by road, southwest of Njeru, the largest metropolitan area in the district. This location is approximately 48 kilometres (30 mi), by road, southeast of Kampala, the capital of Uganda and the largest city in the country. The coordinates of Nkokonjeru are:00 14 22N, 32 55 23E (Latitude:0.2395; Longitude:32.9230).
Nkokonjeru was the location of a traditional shine where the Baganda used to sacrifice white chicken prior to 1890. In 1891, the Mill Hill Fathers established a Catholic Parish in the area. When lightning felled the sacrifice tree, the missionaries used the wood to burn bricks and build the Parish Church. Subsequently, they built schools, a hospital and a teacher's college. The Catholic Parish of Nkonkonjeru has over 45,000 registered parishioners, as of August 2009.
The 2002 national census estimated the population of Nkokonjeru 11,095. In 2008, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the population of the town at 13,000. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population of Nkokonjeru at 14,000.
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within or near Nkokonjeru:
- The offices of Nkokonjeru Town Council
- St. Francis Hospital, Nkokonjeru - A 200 bed community hospital administered by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Lugazi
- Nkokonjeru Church of Uganda Primary School
- St. Paul's Primary School, Nkokonjeru
- St. Peter's Secondary School, Nkokonjeru
- Nkokonjeru Teacher Training College
- Nkokonjeru Technical College
- Nkokonjeru Catholic Church
- Stella Maris Boarding Primary School, Nsuube
- Stella Maris College, Nsuube
- St. Alphonsus Demonstration School
- St. Anthony Convent Secondary School
- Providence Home
- Rural Agency for Sustainable Development (RASD)
- Nkokonjeru Savings and Credit Co-operative (SACCO)
- Mother Kevin Vocation Institute
- St. Claire Primary School
- Little Angels Primary School
- Nkokonjeru Is Located In Buikwe District
- About the Origins of the Name "Nkokonjeru"
- Road Distance Between Buikwe And Nkokonjeru With Map
- Road Distance between Njeru and Nkokonjeru With Map
- Road Distance Between Kampala And Nkokonjeru With Map
- About the Catholic Parish of Nkokonjeru
- 2002 and 2008 Population Estimates of Ugandan Cities and Towns
- Estimated Populations of Major Ugandan Cities And Towns In 2011
- About St. Francis Hospital
- About Nkokonjeru Catholic Parish