|Nkumba University (NKU)|
|Chancellor||Prof. Gordon Wavamunno|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Hannington Sengendo|
|Admin. staff||300+ (2014)|
Nkumba University (NU) is a private university in Entebbe, Uganda. It was established in 1994 as part of a group of schools and colleges which originally grew from a kindergarten set up in 1951. The University is dedicated to the promotion of excellence in applied business education. Nkumba University builds students on the 4Cs: Creativity, Confidence, Competence and Character. The university is not affiliated with any particular religious organization, but it accommodates several religious associations, which allow the students to fellowship along religious beliefs and to devote adequate time to God.
The university campus is located on Nkumba Hill, in Wakiso District, approximately 10 kilometres (6.2 mi), by road, northeast of Entebbe International Airport, along the northern shores of Lake Victoria, the second-largest fresh water body in the world. The coordinates of the university campus are:0°05'42.0"N, 32°30'27.0"E (Latitude:0.095000; Longitude:32.507500).
Nkumba University is one of the largest private universities in East Africa. As of December 2011, the student body exceeded 7,000, with over 300 academic staff. The university offers courses leading to certificates, diplomas, baccalaureate degrees as well as postgraduate academic qualifications. At its graduation ceremony in October 2013, a total of 1,700 students were awarded certificates, diplomas and degrees at a function, presided over by the university Chancellor, Professor Sir Gordon Wavamunno. Nkumba University was one of the first universities in the country to introduce the degree of Bachelor of Science in Petroleum Studies, Mineral Management & Technology. The inaugural intake occurred in 2011. A masters degree in the same field is in development.
On July 29, 1951 at 9.00AM, Ssalongo Kintu a local merchant, invited two of his best friends to a meeting: Charles Kisitu Ffulu, the then Parish Chief of Nkumba, and Zefania Mpanga, a civil servant who resided in the area. Their meeting led to the establishment of a kindergarten for their infants. The school opened on February 6, 1952 with twelve pupils at Ffulu’s home. Within two years the student population had grown to over 150.
The kindergarten grew into a primary (elementary) school. Over the years, the school grew into a junior secondary (middle) school and a senior secondary (high) school. In 1969, the school became a vocational school. In 1974 the name of the school was changed to Nkumba College of Commerce and Advanced Studies. Finally in 1994, the Board of Trustees were approved by the Ministry of Education to transform the College into a University. This marked the beginning of Nkumba University. On 16 February 2007 Nkumba University was granted a Charter by the President of Uganda upon the recommendation of the National Council for Higher Education as provided in the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act 2001.
The academic affairs of Nkumba University are organized under six constituent schools of the university.
- School of Business Administration
- School of Education, Humanities and Sciences
- School of Social Sciences
- School of Law and Institute of Criminal Justice
- School of Industrial, Commercial Art and Design
- School of Sciences.
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Business Administration in Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration in Accounting & Finance
- Master of Business Administration in Management
- Master of Business Administration in Marketing
- Master of Business Administration in Computing & Information Systems
- Master of Business Administration in Finance & Financial Information Systems
- Master of Business Administration in Information Technology
- Master of Business Administration in Management Information Systems
- Master of Science in International Tourism
- Master of Science in Environmental Management
- Master of Science in Petroleum Studies, Mineral Management & Technology
- Master of Education in Administration & Planning
- Master of Education in Curriculum Supervision, Assessment & Evaluation.
- Master of Education in Comparative Education.
- Master of Economics of Education
- Master of History of Education.
- Master of Philosophy of Education
- Master of Sociology of Education
- Master of Language Education
- Master of Education
- Master of Education in Curriculum Development
- Master of Education in Educational Management & Planning
- Master of Arts in Counseling
- Master of Arts in Measurement & Evaluation
- Master of Arts in Business & Entrepreneurship Education
- Master of Arts in Public Administration and Management
- Master of Arts in Sociology
- Master of Arts in International Relations and Diplomacy
- Master of Arts in Development Studies
- Master of Arts in Community Based Development
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Science in information technology
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Business Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Tourism
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Management
- Bachelor of Science in Petroleum Studies, Mineral Management & Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Wildlife Management
- Bachelor of Science in Home Economics
- Bachelor of Arts with Education
- Bachelor of Science with Education
- Bachelor of Education in Primary Education
- Bachelor of Education in English Language
- Bachelor of Education in Computer Communication
- Bachelor of Arts in Counseling
- Bachelor of Science in Journalism
- Bachelor of Arts in Arabic
- Bachelor of Arts in Islamic Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics
- Bachelor of Arts in Community Based Development
- Bachelor of Arts in Developmental Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Sociology & Development
- Bachelor of Arts in International Relations & Diplomacy
- Bachelor of Arts in Public Administration & Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
- Diploma in Business Administration
- Diploma in Computer Science
- Diploma in Environmental Impact Assessment
- Diploma in Tourism Operations
- Diploma in Environmental Management
- Diploma in Hotel Management & Institutional Catering
- Diploma in Home Economics
- Diploma in Early Childhood Education
- Diploma in Education
- Diploma in Counseling
- Diploma in Education Management
- Diploma in Tertiary Institution Instruction
- Diploma in Computer Application in Education.
- Diploma in Education Skills for NGO Activities
- Diploma in Journalism
- Diploma in Developmental Studies
- Diploma in Community Based Development
- Diploma in Sociology & Development
- Diploma in International Relations & Diplomacy
- Diploma in Public Administration & Management
- Diploma in Political Science
- Diploma in HIV/AIDS Education & Management
- Certificate in Tourism Operations
- Certificate in Institutional Catering & Hotel Management
- Certificate in Early Childhood Education
- Certificate in Primary School Mathematics
- Certificate in Pastoral Student Care
- Certificate in Guidance and Counseling
- Certificate in Educational Management
- Certificate in Swahili Education
- Certificate in Computer Applications
- Pastor Isaiah Mbuga of Heart of Christ Ministry
- General Edward Katumba Wamala - Ugandan military officer. Current Chief of Defence Forces, the highest military position in the Uganda People's Defence Force.
- George Owoyesigire - Principal Wildlife Officer, Ministry of Tourism, Wildlife and Antiquities, Kampala
- Justus Tusubira, Conservation Area Manager, Lake Mburo National Park, Uganda Wildlife Authority
- Isaac Kiirya, Senior Programmes Manager, Nature Uganda, Kampala
- Eugine Ntambala, Director, Akagera National Park - Rwanda
- Education in Uganda
- List of universities in Uganda
- List of Business Schools in Uganda
- List of Ugandan university leaders
- NKU, . (2010). "Governance At Nkumba University". Nkumba University (NKU). Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- NKU, . (21 June 2013). "Nkumba University Gets New Vice Chancellor". Nkumba University (NKU). Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- "Distance Between Entebbe International Airport And Nkumba With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- Google, . "Location of Nkumba University At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- Newvision, Reporter (8 January 2014). "Nkumba University Supplement". New Vision. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- Nakajubi, Gloria (20 October 2013). "Over 1000 Graduate From Nkumba University". New Vision. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- Local, Content (6 July 2012). "Nkumba University Gets First Foot On Oil Training Ladder". OilInUganda.org. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- Namutebi, Joyce (24 April 2006). "Uganda: Nkumba to Get Charter". New Vision via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- NKU, . "The Schools of Nkumba University". Nkumba University (NKU). Retrieved 12 July 2014.