December 23, 1986 |
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Wells was born in San Antonio, Texas. She is of mixed Hispanic and Tunisian descent.  She attended Memorial High School in Victoria, Texas, where she was active in speech and debate and graduated as salutatorian. She graduated UT Austin in 2010 with degrees in Plan II Honors and Radio-TV-Film. While attending college, she was a cast member of Esther’s Follies, Austin’s long-running musical satire show, where she performed in sketches and as a magician's assistant. Before becoming an actress, she worked as an editor and did motion graphics. She says her parents named her Noël because she was born two days before Christmas.
In 2010, Wells moved to Los Angeles and performed at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre with the sketch team "New Money". She has appeared in numerous Cracked.com and CollegeHumor videos, and is also known for her own sketch and parody videos which have over 13 million views on YouTube. In 2013, she guest starred on "The AntiBats!" episode of the Emmy Award-nominated The Aquabats! Super Show!, a cable family comedy series which regularly features UCB alumni. She recently starred (and was also credited with an "additional screenplay material" credit) in the indie film Forev in 2013. which premiered at the 2013 Los Angeles Film Festival.
Wells joined the cast of Saturday Night Live during its 39th season as a featured player along with fellow Upright Citizens Brigade performers John Milhiser, Kyle Mooney, and Beck Bennett, as well as writer Mike O'Brien and standup Brooks Wheelan. Wells is the first Hispanic female cast member ever hired, the first Mexican-American cast member hired, and the third Hispanic cast member hired (after Horatio Sanz and Fred Armisen). On July 15, 2014, it was announced that Wells would not be returning for a second season.
In 2013, Wells starred in the independent film Forev which premiered at the Los Angeles Film Festival. Examiner.com called it "a delightfully funny crowd pleaser" while Film School Rejects noted "Forev is an impressive blend of believable characters and natural, but funny, comedic bits".
Wells is an avid photographer and has had her photography featured in exhibitions and the literary magazine Oxford American. She lives in Los Angeles and New York and has a cat named "Mr. Feeny".
||This article uses bare URLs for citations, which may be threatened by link rot. (July 2014)|
- "Tina Fey/Arcade Fire". Saturday Night Live. September 28, 2013. NBC.
- [dead link]
- "Noel Wells Bio | Featured Player | Saturday Night Live". NBC. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- Abromavitch, Seth (11 September 2013). "How 'Saturday Night Live' Found 5 New Castmembers". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- Carter, Bill (September 15, 2013). "New Course for ‘Update,’ and All of ‘SNL’". The New York Times. Retrieved September 16, 2013.
- "Noel Wells". Notcommonpeople.blogspot.com. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- "As ‘Saturday Night Live’ cast reboots, questions about diversity emerge" Paul Farhi, Washington Post, October 3, 2013. Retrieved 16th June, 2014.
- "Local Girl Makes Big Time". Crossroadstoday.com. Retrieved 2013-10-07.
- "RTF Student Noël Wells Thanks Family for IFC Internship". Radio Television Film College of Communications.
- Kiest, Jim. "UT grad may join ‘SNL’ cast". My San Antonio. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- Tinkham, Chris. "Noël Wells - 2013 LA Film Fest Interview". Under the Radar Mag. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- "Noel Wells". Upright Citizen Brigade Theater. Retrieved 2013-10-07.
- Seth Abramovitch, Seth (11 September 2013). "Cheat Sheet: Get to Know the 5 New Faces of 'SNL'". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Noel Wells". Upright Citizens Brigade Theater. Retrieved 2013-10-07.
- "Noël". YouTube. Retrieved 2013-10-07.
- "Forev". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2013-10-07.
- Ferguson, Dana (14 June 2013). "L.A. Film Festival: Contemplating the meaning of 'Forev'". Los Angeles Times.
- Howard, Courtney. "LA FILM FEST REVIEW – FOREV". Very Aware. Retrieved 2013-10-07.
- Miller, Danny. "LAFF Interview: The directors and stars of the indie charmer 'Forev'". MSN Entertainment. Retrieved 2013-10-07.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "Michael Patrick O'Brien, Kyle Mooney, Beck Bennett, John Milhiser & Noël Wells Poised to Join Saturday Night Live Cast". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2013-10-07.
- Luippold, Ross (2013-08-23). "'SNL' Cast Rumored To Add Noël Wells, Beck Bennett, John Milhiser, Kyle Mooney, Mike O'Brien (UPDATE)". Huffington Post. Retrieved 2013-10-07.
- O'Neal, Sean (July 14, 2014). "Noël Wells and John Milhiser Are Also Leaving Saturday Night Live". A. V. Club.
- "Oxford American Best of the South". Flickr. Noel Wells. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- Tuck, Lauren. "5 Things You Need to Know About 'SNL' New Girl". Yahoo. Retrieved July 15, 2014.