No. 2 Court (Wimbledon)
|Wimbledon No. 2 Court|
No. 2 Court during the 2011 Wimbledon Championships
|Location||All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, Wimbledon, London|
No. 2 Court is a tennis court at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, Wimbledon, London. Unlike the other three Grand Slam events, Wimbledon does not name its main courts after famous players, choosing instead to use numbers, with the exception of Centre Court.
Old No. 2 Court
The original number 2 Court had a capacity of 2,192 + 770 standing and was informally referred to as the Graveyard of Champions until it was renumbered as the No. 3 Court from the 2009 Championships. The Court itself was then demolished to make way for a new No. 3 court and new Court 4 ready for the 2011 Championships.
The Graveyard of Champions tag was coined as many former champions fell to ignominious defeats on the No. 2 Court, including:
- John McEnroe (1979 to Tim Gullikson)
- Jimmy Connors (1983 to Kevin Curren, 1988 to Patrik Kühnen)
- Pat Cash (1991 to Thierry Champion)
- Michael Stich (1994 to Bryan Shelton)
- Andre Agassi (1996 to Doug Flach)
- Conchita Martínez (1998 to Sam Smith)
- Richard Krajicek (1999 to Lorenzo Manta)
- Pete Sampras (2002 to George Bastl)
- Serena Williams (2005 to Jill Craybas)
- Venus Williams (2006 to Jelena Janković)
- Martina Hingis (2007 to Laura Granville)
- Maria Sharapova (2013 to Michelle Larcher de Brito)
New Number 2 court
For the 2009 Championships, a new show court was built on the site of the previous No. 13 court. This new court was renamed as No. 2 court and the capacity is 4,000. This meant that the "Graveyard of Champions" court became No. 3 Court and all other courts were subsequently renumbered in the same way.
- How the ‘Graveyard of champions’ got its name[dead link]
- The New Court 3[dead link]
- Farewell 'Graveyard of Champions'[dead link]
- Stich stunned. Independent.co.uk (23 June 1994). Retrieved on 2011-06-28.
- "Useful information about Wimbledon 2009". http://www.wimbledon.org. Retrieved 9 June 2009.[dead link]