No Holdin' Back
|No Holdin' Back|
|Studio album by Randy Travis|
|Released||September 26, 1989|
|Label||Warner Bros. Nashville|
|Randy Travis chronology|
|Los Angeles Times|||
|Robert Christgau||B+ |
No Holdin' Back is the title of American country music singer Randy Travis's fifth album. It was released on September 26, 1989, by Warner Bros. Records Nashville. Three singles were released from it, all of which charted on the Hot Country Songs charts: the Number One hits "It's Just a Matter of Time" and "Hard Rock Bottom of Your Heart", as well as the #2 hit "He Walked on Water". "It's Just a Matter of Time" was previously a Number One hit for Brook Benton in 1959 on the R&B charts, and for Sonny James in 1970 on the country charts. Glen Campbell also had a #7-peaking rendition of the song in 1986.
The track "Somewhere in My Broken Heart" was co-written by Billy Dean, who would later cut it for his 1990 album Young Man and release it as that album's second single. Also included is a cover of "Singing the Blues", a song originally recorded by Marty Robbins.
- "Mining For Coal" (Matraca Berg, Ronnie Samoset) - 3:08
- "Singing the Blues" (Melvin Endsley) - 2:19
- "When Your World Was Turning for Me" (Dallas Frazier, A. L. "Doodle" Owens) - 2:40
- "He Walked on Water" (Allen Shamblin) - 3:28
- "No Stoppin' Us Now" (Randy Travis) - 3:05
- "It's Just a Matter of Time" (Brook Benton, Belford Hendricks, Clyde Otis) - 3:59
- "Card Carryin' Fool" (Byron Hill, Tim Bays) - 2:27
- "Somewhere in My Broken Heart" (Billy Dean, Richard Leigh) - 3:16
- "Hard Rock Bottom of Your Heart" (Hugh Prestwood) - 4:06
- "Have a Nice Rest of Your Life" (Verlon Thompson, Mark D. Sanders) - 3:24
- Eddie Bayers - drums on "No Stoppin' Us Now"
- Dennis Burnside - piano
- Larry Byrom - acoustic guitar
- Mark Casstevens - acoustic guitar
- Jerry Douglas - Dobro
- Béla Fleck - banjo on "Hard Rock Bottom of Your Heart"
- Steve Gibson - electric guitar, electric 12-string guitar
- Doyle Grisham - steel guitar
- David Hungate - bass guitar
- John Jarvis - piano
- Kirk "Jelly Roll" Johnson - harmonica on "He Walked on Water"
- Paul Leim - drums
- Steve Lindsey - synthesizer and Kurzweil Synthesizer on "It's Just a Matter of Time"
- Larrie Londin - drums
- Terry McMillan - harmonica, percussion
- Brent Mason - electric guitar
- Mark O'Connor - fiddle
- Dean Parks - guitar solo on "It's Just a Matter of Time"
- Tom Roady - percussion
- Hargus "Pig" Robbins - piano
- Billy Joe Walker, Jr. - electric guitar
- Jack Williams - bass guitar
|U.S. Billboard Top Country Albums||1|
|U.S. Billboard 200||33|
|Canadian RPM Top Albums||55|
by Clint Black
|Top Country Albums number-one album
November 4, 1989 - April 1, 1990
by Clint Black
- No Holdin' Back at AllMusic
- Hurst, Jack (1989-09-28). "Randy Travis No Holdin' Back (Warner Bros.)". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- Hilburn, Robert (1989-09-24). "RANDY TRAVIS "No Holdin' Back" Warner Bros.". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- "Rnady Travis - No Holdin' Back CD Album". CD Universe. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- Christgau, Robert. "CG: Randy Travis". RobertChristgau.com. Retrieved 2013-04-24.