|Single by Lonestar|
|from the album Lonestar|
|Released||January 8, 1996|
|Format||CD Single, 7" 45 RPM|
Mark D. Sanders
|Lonestar singles chronology|
"No News" is a song performed by American country music band Lonestar. It was released in January 1996 as the second single from their debut album, Lonestar. "No News" reached the top of the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart in April 1996 (see 1996 in country music), giving the group its first number-one single. It was written by Phil Barnhart, Sam Hogin, and Mark D. Sanders.
The song's narrator tells of how his former lover has left him. Having not heard from her or her family, he says that he would "prefer a bad excuse to no news". In the verses, he offers several possibilities as to her disappearance, such as "Lost her car at the mall / Got locked in a bathroom stall". The radio edit replaces the line "Joined a cult, joined the Klan" with "playin' guitar with the band".
Deborah Evans Price, of Billboard magazine reviewed the song favorably, calling it "different, catchy, and utterly infectious." She goes on to say that the production is "first-rate" and that the performance is "right on the mark."
This was their first music video, and it was directed by Deaton-Flanigen Productions. It shows a woman who was riding on a bus to nowhere, she takes her glasses off and transforms into a woman who hitchhikes at the end.
"No News" debuted at number 57 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks for the week of January 13, 1996. The song was commercially released as a double A-side with "Tequila Talkin'"; this double-sided single reached number 22 on the Bubbling Under Hot 100.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||1|
|US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles (Billboard)||22|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||54|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||10|
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. p. 244. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- Wahlert, Brian. "Lonestar review". Country Standard Time. Retrieved 2008-06-09.
- Billboard, January 27, 1996
- "RPM Country Tracks." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. April 1, 1996. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "Lonestar Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 for Lonestar.
- "Lonestar Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Lonestar.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1996". RPM. December 16, 1996. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "Best of 1996: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1996. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
"To Be Loved by You"
|Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks
April 13-April 27, 1996
"You Win My Love"
by Shania Twain
"You Can Feel Bad"
by Patty Loveless
|RPM Country Tracks
April 1, 1996