No No Never
|"No No Never"|
|Eurovision Song Contest 2006 entry|
Jon Flemming Olsen,
|◄ "Run & Hide" (2005)|
|"Frauen regier'n die Welt" (2007) ►|
"No No Never" was the German entry in the Eurovision Song Contest 2006, performed in English by Texas Lightning. While Germany had finished the 2005 Contest in last place, their position as one of the Contest's "Big Four" (along with the United Kingdom, France and Spain) ensured the song an automatic final berth. Thus, it was performed eighth on the night, following Malta's Fabrizio Faniello with "I Do" and preceding Denmark's Sidsel Ben Semmane with "Twist of Love". At the close of voting, it had received 36 points, placing 14th in a field of 24.
Written and composed by Australian-born band member Jane Comerford, the unusual choice of country as the genre resulted in BBC commentator Terry Wogan asking jokingly and with a rough approximation of the appropriate accent "are we in Athens, Georgia?" at the end of the performance (the Contest was held in Athens, Greece). Lyrically, the song can be read as a pledge of the singer's undying love for her lover, but Comerford has stated that the chorus at least - "I'm never ever gonna leave you to cry on your own/Never ever gonna not go and pick up the phone/I'm never ever gonna let you be chilled to the bone" - was inspired by her desire to comfort her niece upon the untimely death of her niece's father.
As one of the band's members is a professional comedian, there was a level of expectation that the performance was going to be humorous, however this was not the case. While the band performed in front of artificial cactus plants, there was in fact very little overt humour in the performance. All members were dressed appropriately, with the musicians wearing beige suits and stetson hats and Comerford wearing a pink dress.
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||4|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||1|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||6|
|End of year chart (2006)||Position|
|German Singles Chart ||2|
|German Singles Chart||17|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
Chart procession and succession
"Don't Let It Get You Down" by Mike Leon Grosch
"Hips Don't Lie" by Shakira featuring Wyclef Jean
|German Singles Chart number-one single
13 May 2006 (first run)
27 May 2006 – 3 June 2006 (second run)
"Hips Don't Lie" by Shakira feat. Wyclef Jean
- Official Eurovision Song Contest site, history by year
- Detailed info & lyrics, Diggiloo Thrush
- "Eurovision 2006 Germany No No Never Texas Lightning". Youtube.com. Retrieved 2006-08-14.
- "Texas Lightning – No No Never – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Texas Lightning – No No Never – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Texas Lightning; 'No No Never')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.