No Pants Day
No Pants Day is one of two different events. One is a participatory annual event that has happened in various nations on the first Friday in May. The other is also known as the No Pants Subway Ride, which is an annual event in which transit passengers ride trains without wearing pants in January. The later event is organized by Improv Everywhere and observed in dozens of cities worldwide. In the UK, where the word pants refers to underwear, the event has been translated as "No Trousers Day".
No Pants Day, Knighthood of Buh
A small on-campus club at the University of Texas in Austin known as the Knighthood of Buh thought that dropping trou on the first Friday of May was a humorous stunt for the end of the semester. Informal for years, promotion efforts began in 2000. The event attracted attention in other states and several parts of Canada as well as Sweden, Australia, Finland, and the United Kingdom.
No Pants Subway Ride
The first No Pants Subway Ride began with seven riders in 2002 in New York City. In 2006, 150 riders in New York City participated, where eight were handcuffed for disorderly conduct, but in court the charges were dismissed. For 2013, sixty cities had coordinators.
- Linda Sharkey (2013-01-14). "Gallery: Mind the gap on 'No Pants Day' - World - News". The Independent. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "No Pants On The Tube Day 2013: London Underground Is A Carousel Of Chilly Flesh (PICTURES)". Huffingtonpost.co.uk. 2013-01-14. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "No Pants Day 2012: commuters around the world leave their trousers at home". Telegraph. 2012-01-09. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "No pants on the subway day – in pictures | Life and style". theguardian.com. 2013-01-13. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "BBC News - 'No pants' day on New York subway". Bbc.co.uk. 2013-01-14. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "No Pants Day! - New York - Slideshows". Villagevoice.com. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "Montreal celebrates ‘No Pants Day’ on the metro". Globalnews.ca. 2013-02-01. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "No Pants Day Photos No Pants Day Subway Photos". The Daily Green. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "The pantsless to celebrate No Pants Day this Sunday with CTA ride | CTA Tattler". Chicagonow.com. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "No Pants Subway Ride hits Vancouver, Toronto: Photos | National Post". News.nationalpost.com. 2013-01-14. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "No Pants Skytrain Ride Attracts Hundreds In Vancouver". Huffingtonpost.ca. 2013-01-14. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- [dead link]
- "Best of the Weekend - May 6-8 Weekend Events - 2". Specials.msn.com. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "No Pants Day: Semi-naked commuters ride trains - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2013-01-14. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- Michael MacDonald. "Vancouverites participate in No Pants Day | canada.com". O.canada.com. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "'No Pants Day' takes over London Underground - pictures - Fun News". Digital Spy. 2013-01-15. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- "No Pants Day 2K9 - New York - Slideshows". Villagevoice.com. Retrieved 2013-10-04.
- Berman, Mark (2013-01-11). "No pants, no problem: No Pants Subway Ride returns Sunday". The Washington Post. Retrieved 10 May 2013.
- "No Pants Subway Ride proves passengers need better underwear". CNN. 2013-01-14. Retrieved 10 May 2013.
- "No pants, no problems". The Chronicle of Higher Education. 4 June 2004. Retrieved 2013-04-11. "...a self-described "humor-oriented organization," started promoting the stunt four years ago in an effort to relieve students' end-of-semester stress."
- "Pants? Who needs pants!". Regina Leader Post. 5 May 2006. Retrieved 2013-04-11. "Celebrations have since spread across the U.S., Sweden, Australia, Finland, the United Kingdom and even Iraq. In Canada, pants-free festivities are known to have been held in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Quebec and Ontario."
- "No Pants Subway Ride returns to Number 6 train". New York Public Radio. 13 January 2007. Retrieved 2013-05-24. "A judge later threw out the disorderly conduct charges, noting that it's not illegal to wear underwear in public."
- Tom Herrmann (7 January 2013). "No Pants Subway Ride 2013 hits NYC and cities around the world [city list, video]". International Business Times. Retrieved 2013-05-24.