No Trees in the Street
|No Trees in the Street|
|Directed by||J. Lee Thompson|
|Produced by||Frank Godwin|
|Written by||Ted Willis|
|Music by||Laurie Johnson|
|Edited by||Richard Best|
|Distributed by||Associated British-Pathé|
In the slums of London before World War II, Tommy is an aimless teenager who tries to escape his squalid surroundings by entering a life of crime. He falls in with local racketeer Herbert Lom, who holds the rest of the slum citizens in a grip of fear - including Tommy's own family. The film chronicles Tommy's sordid progression from minor thefts to murder.
- Sylvia Syms as Hetty
- Herbert Lom as Wilkie
- Melvyn Hayes as Tommy
- Ronald Howard as Frank
- Stanley Holloway as Kipper
- Joan Miller as Jess
- Liam Redmond as Bill
- David Hemmings as Kenny
- Lily Kann as Mrs Jacobson
- Lloyd Lamble as Superintendent
- Campbell Singer as Inspector
- Marianne Stone as Mrs. Jokel
- Rita Webb as Mrs. Brown
- TV Guide wrote "NO TREES suffers from artificiality of plot and dialog. Characterizations are reduced to mere stereotypes...There are some notable exceptions within the drama, however. Syms is surprisingly moving, giving a sensitive performance despite the film's constraints. Holloway's characterization of a bookie's tout is comical and charming...The camerawork attempts a realistic documentary look, which manages to succeed in capturing the details of slum life that make the setting seem surprisingly naturalistic. The finer points of the film, however, are overshadowed by its faults." 
- Time Out wrote "released at a time when kitchen sink drama was all the rage, this is an unremarkable 'we had it tough' chronicle from another age." 
- Variety wrote "Ted Willis is a writer with a sympathetic eye for problems of the middle and lower classes...Syms gives a moving performance as the gentle girl who refuses to marry the cheap racketeer just to escape. Lom, as the opportunist who dominates the street, is sufficiently suave and unpleasant." 
- Peter Cotes (1992-12-24). "Obituary: Lord Willis - People - News". The Independent. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- "No Trees in the Street | BFI | BFI". Explore.bfi.org.uk. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- "No Trees in the Street (1958) - Trailers, Reviews, Synopsis, Showtimes and Cast". AllMovie. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- "No Trees In The Street Review". Movies.tvguide.com. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- "No Trees in the Street | review, synopsis, book tickets, showtimes, movie release date | Time Out London". Timeout.com. 2007-11-04. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
- "No Trees in the Street". Variety. 1958-12-31. Retrieved 2014-04-04.
|This article related to a British film of the 1950s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a crime thriller film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|