No gods, no masters
No gods, no masters is an anarchist, feminist and labour slogan. Its English origin comes from a pamphlet handed out by the Industrial Workers of the World during the 1912 Lawrence Textile Strike. The phrase is derived from the French slogan "Ni dieu ni maître!" (literally 'Neither God nor master') coined by the socialist Auguste Blanqui in 1880, when he published a journal by that name.
The French phrase appears twice in Friedrich Nietzsche's 1886 work Beyond Good and Evil. It appears first in Section 22, in a critique of the notion that nature dictates a morality of equality before the law. It appears again in section 202 where he identifies it with the anarchists and as indicative of their 'herd' mentality, which he is criticizing.
In 1914, Margaret Sanger launched The Woman Rebel, an eight-page monthly newsletter which promoted contraception using the slogan "No Gods, No Masters". Sanger insisted that every woman was the mistress of her own body.
Today the slogan continues to find use in anarchist politics. An anthology of anarchist writing was collected under the title "No Gods, No Masters: An Anthology of Anarchism"
The slogan has also found use in musical cultures, largely associated with the punk movement. It was also chosen as a song title by the English crust punk/heavy metal band Amebix on their EP Who's the Enemy, Swedish death metal band Arch Enemy on their album Khaos Legions., and Chicago-based hardcore band Harm's Way, who released an EP entitled 'No Gods, No Masters' in 2010.
The slogan was rephrased as No Gods, No Managers, as an album title by American crust punk band Choking Victim. "No Gods, No Masters" is one of four possible final quests in Fallout: New Vegas.
- "mshist". Wyatt.elasticbeanstalk.com. 1916-01-05. Retrieved 2012-06-11.
- "Question: origin of the slogan "ni dieu ni maître" | Radical Reference". Radicalreference.info. Retrieved 2012-06-11.
- "Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil". 2009-02. Retrieved 2012-08-12.
- ""No Gods, No Masters": Margaret Sanger on Birth Control". gmu.edu. Retrieved 5/6/2012.
- "The Michigan Daily - Google News Archive". News.google.com. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- No Gods, No Masters - Daniel Guérin - Google Books. Books.google.ca. Retrieved 2012-06-11.
- "AMEBIX- Who’s the Enemy 7"EP (Spiderleg Records, UK, 1982)". goodbadmusic.com. Retrieved 5/6/2012.
- "Arch Enemy official site". Arch Enemy. Retrieved 5/6/2012.
- "Khaos Legions review". allmusic.com. Retrieved 5/6/2012.
- "No Gods/No Managers: Choking Victim: Amazon.ca: Music". Amazon.ca. Retrieved 2012-06-11.
- gamepressure.com. "Fallout: New Vegas - No Gods, No Masters - Game Guide and walkthrough". Guides.gamepressure.com. Retrieved 2012-06-11.