Nobody's Child (song)
|Single by Hank Snow (The Singing Ranger) and his Rainbow Ranch Boys|
|B-side||"The Only Rose"|
|Writer(s)||Cy Coben, Mel Foree|
|Song by Tony Sheridan and The Beatles|
|Released||4 June 1964|
|A-side||"Ain't She Sweet"
"Sweet Georgia Brown"
|Recorded||June 22–23, 1961|
|Writer||Cy Coben, Mel Foree|
"Nobody's Child" is a song written by Cy Coben and Mel Foree. It was first recorded by Hank Snow in 1949 and it became one of his standards, although it did not chart for him. The song has been covered a number of times in the UK; it was on Lonnie Donegan's first album in 1956 (which went to #2 as an album in the UK), it was covered by Tony Sheridan and the Beat Brothers (The Beatles) in 1961 in Hamburg, and in 1969 Karen Young took the song to #6 on the UK charts and used it as the title track on her album. In 1969 Hank Williams Jr. did a version of it that made it to #46 on the US Country charts. The Traveling Wilburys' 1990 version made it to #44 on the UK charts.
The song lyrics are about an orphan whom no one wants to adopt because he is blind:
I'm nobody's child, I'm nobody's child
Just like a flower I'm growing wild
No mommy's kisses and no daddy's smile
Nobody wants me, I'm nobody's child
Release details for The Beatles' cover
- "Ain't She Sweet" / "Nobody's Child" — released in 1964 by Atco.
- "Sweet Georgia Brown" / "Nobody's Child" — released in 1964 by Polydor.
- The Beatles' First — released 4 August 1967 in the UK.
- In the Beginning (Circa 1960) — released 4 May 1970 in the US.
- Very Together — released October 1969 in Canada.
- Tony Sheridan — lead vocals
- John Lennon — rhythm guitar
- Paul McCartney — bass guitar
- George Harrison — lead guitar
- Pete Best — drums
- Peter Klemt — engineer
|Single by Traveling Wilburys|
|from the album Nobody's Child: Romanian Angel Appeal|
|B-side||"Lumiere" (Dave Stewart)
"With a Little Help from My Friends" (Ringo Starr) (12" and CD only)
|Released||18 June 1990|
|Format||7" single, 12" single, cassette single, CD single|
|Traveling Wilburys singles chronology|
The Traveling Wilburys version of "Nobody's Child" was the first track on the benefit album Nobody's Child: Romanian Angel Appeal, released on 24 July 1990. Wilbury member George Harrison had also appeared on the 1961 Beatles/Tony Sheridan version. Other members of the Traveling Wilburys on this track were Bob Dylan, Jeff Lynne, and Tom Petty.
Other cover versions
- Agnes Chan on her 1971 album Will The Circle Game Be UnBroken with the local Life Records.
- Irene Ryder on her 1971 album Irene Ryder with EMI Regal Records
- Max Romeo and Techniques All Stars, both versions on a 1974 split 7" single released by Techniques Records.
- Merle and Roy on their 1987 "Requests" album.
- Maggie Hurley "Wexford's Molly Malone" has become famous in Ireland for singing Nobody's Child. A RTE Radio 1 show was made a bout her. It was called 'The Curious Ear: Nobody's Child'.
- Majda Sepe (Slovenija). Her version was titled "Sirota", translated by G. Strniša (1969).
- The Alexander Brothers biggest hit single was "Nobody's Child" in 1964.