|Executive Director of the International Energy Agency|
1 September 2007 – 1 September 2011
|Preceded by||Claude Mandil|
|Succeeded by||Maria van der Hoeven|
|Born||3 March 1950|
|Political party||Liberal Democratic Party|
|Alma mater||University of Tokyo
Case Western Reserve University
Nobuo Tanaka (田中 伸男 Tanaka Nobuo , born 3 March 1950) is the Japanese official and the former Executive Director of the International Energy Agency. He was born on 3 March 1950 in Japan. He graduated from the University of Tokyo in the field of economics in 1972, and has an MBA from Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio (1979). In 1973 he began his career with the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry of Japan (METI). In 1989 he joined the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) as the Deputy-Director for Science, Technology and Industry, and served in 1991-1995 as the Director for Science, Technology and Industry.
In 1995 he returned to METI where he served as Director for Industrial Finance Division and as Director for Policy Planning and Coordination Division. In 1998–2000 he was posted at the Embassy of Japan in Washington, D.C., as Minister for Energy, Trade and Industry. After returning to Japan in 2000 he took a post of the Executive Vice President for the Research Institute of Economy Trade and Industry, and in 2002–2004 the post of the Director-General for the Multilateral Trade System Department of METI.
From 16 August 2004 to 31 August 2007 Nobuo Tanaka was the Director for Science, Technology and Industry at the OECD,, and head of the internal OECD Steering Group for the Centre for Entrepreneurship. On 1 September 2007 he succeeded Claude Mandil as the Executive Director of the IEA. On 1 September 2011, he was succeeded in this role by the Former Minister of Economic Affairs of the Netherlands, Maria van der Hoeven.
He is now Global Associate for Energy Security and Sustainability at the Institute for Energy Economics, Japan ("Eneken") in Tokyo. He is also a Professor at the Graduate School of Public Policy, University of Tokyo.
Nobuo Tanaka is married and has two children.
- "Nobuo Tanaka nominated to succeed Claude Mandil as IEA Executive Director in September 2007" (Press release). IEA. 2006-12-14. Retrieved 2011-09-03.
- "Director for Science, Technology and Industry at the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)". OECD. Retrieved 2011-09-03.
- "Former Dutch Minister Maria van der Hoeven Named Next Executive Director of the IEA to Start in September 2011" (Press release). International Energy Agency. 2011-03-11. Retrieved 2011-03-13.
- "New head for the IEA". Upstream Online (NHST Media Group). 2011-03-11. Retrieved 2011-03-13.
- "IEA Names Dutch Ex-minister Van Der Hoeven As Executive Director". The Wall Street Journal (Dow Jones & Company, Inc.). 2011-09-01. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- "Nobuo Tanaka". Graduate School of Public Policy, University of Tokyo. 2013. Retrieved 11 Sep 2013.
|Executive Director of the International Energy Agency
Maria van der Hoeven