|Population||286 (Dec 2012)|
|- Density||106 /km2 (274 /sq mi)|
|Area||2.72 km2 (1.05 sq mi)|
|Elevation||630 m (2,067 ft)|
|Surrounded by||Burgistein, Kienersrüti, Kirchdorf, Seftigen, Uetendorf|
Noflen is first mentioned in 1250 as Novelon.
Noflen has an area, as of 2009[update], of 2.72 square kilometers (1.05 sq mi). Of this area, 2.21 km2 (0.85 sq mi) or 81.3% is used for agricultural purposes, while 0.37 km2 (0.14 sq mi) or 13.6% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 0.16 km2 (0.062 sq mi) or 5.9% is settled (buildings or roads).
Of the built up area, housing and buildings made up 3.7% and transportation infrastructure made up 2.2%. Out of the forested land, all of the forested land area is covered with heavy forests. Of the agricultural land, 47.8% is used for growing crops and 26.8% is pastures, while 6.6% is used for orchards or vine crops.
The municipality is a scattered settlement with an upper and lower village on the Terrasse above the Gürbetal (Gürbe valley), while part of the municipality is on the valley floor. Since 1948 the hamlet of Stoffelsrüti (in 1941 it had a population of 41), which used to be an exclave of Jaberg, has belonged to Noflen.
Noflen has a population (as of 31 December 2012) of 286. As of 2007[update], 3.4% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -2.9%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (99.2%), with the rest (0.8%) speaking Albanian.
The age distribution of the population (as of 2000[update]) is children and teenagers (0–19 years old) make up 28.2% of the population, while adults (20–64 years old) make up 60.9% and seniors (over 64 years old) make up 10.9%. In Noflen about 76.9% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).
Noflen has an unemployment rate of 0.3%. As of 2005[update], there were 84 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 26 businesses involved in this sector. 7 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 3 businesses in this sector. 12 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 4 businesses in this sector. The historical population is given in the following table:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Noflen.|
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Datenwürfel für Thema 01.2 - Bevölkerungsstand und -bewegung (German) accessed 29 August 2013
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Noflen in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office-Land Use Statistics 2009 data (German) accessed 25 March 2010
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 14-Jul-2009