Noi Bai International Airport
|Nội Bài International Airport
Sân bay Quốc tế Nội Bài
|Noi Bai International Airport|
|IATA: HAN – ICAO: VVNB
|Operator||Northern Airports Authority|
|Hub for||VietJet Air
|Elevation AMSL||39 ft / 12 m|
|Airfreight movements in tonnes|
Nội Bài International Airport (IATA: HAN, ICAO: VVNB) (Vietnamese: Sân bay Quốc tế Nội Bài) in Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam, is the largest airport in the north of the country. It is 28 miles (45 km) from the city centre. The travel time from the city centre is 30–45 minutes.
At 650 ha, Noi Bai is the second-largest airport in Vietnam, behind the 800 ha Tan Son Nhat International Airport. A larger international terminal (T2, with a capacity of 16 million passengers per annum) is under construction since March 2012, with completion expected by the end of 2014. A new domestic terminal extension (T1, section E) was also completed in early 2014.
The airport has a new 3,800-meter paved runway (CAT II - 11R/29L - opened in August 2006) and an older 3,200-meter paved runway (CAT I - 11L/29R)
The distance between the two runways is only 250 metres, so the airport has a maximum capacity of 10 million passengers a year in accordance with International Civil Aviation Organisation safety regulations.
||This section is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (April 2011)|
- January 2, 1978: Airport opened.
- October 10, 2001: The new Terminal 1 began operation.
- April 7, 2005: Tiger Airways started thrice-weekly flights between Hanoi and Singapore after launching direct flights between Hồ Chí Minh City and Singapore on April 1, 2005. Tiger Airways became the first budget airline to operate in Vietnam.
- October 17, 2005: Low-cost carrier AirAsia launched direct flights between Hanoi and Bangkok. It is the second budget airline serving Vietnam after Tiger Airways.
- August 2006: The second runway (1B - 11R/29L) opened
- September 2, 2007: An Airbus A380 landed at Nội Bài.
- Since mid-2010, Nội Bài has been a SkyTeam hub; Vietnam Airlines joined the network in 2010.
- March 2013: First arrival of a Boeing 747-8F (Cargolux)
- December 29, 2013: The airport opened new Lobby E of Terminal 1, which can help the airport handle more passengers (3 million passengers).
In 2010, the airport received approximately 9.5 million passengers, which made it overloaded, and accounted for one-third of international departures and arrivals at Vietnam’s three international airports. The designed capacity of the T1 terminal is 6 million passengers per annum.
Terminal, airlines and destinations
As of December 2011, there was only one passenger terminal at Nội Bài Airport. In March 2012 the construction of a new terminal (terminal 2 or T2) next to the existing one with designed capacity of 16 million passengers per annum started. The 996m long new terminal 2, funded by a Japan International Cooperation Agency loan was designed by Japan Airport Consultants and being built by Taisei Corporation, is expected to be put into operation early 2015 together with a new freeway connection the airport to downtown Hanoi.
As of July 2011, the following destinations were served from Hanoi:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Noi Bai International Airport.|
- ”A new international airport for the North?” on Ha Noi Moi News online, 11 February 2007 [dead link]
- Internal aviation is overloaded
- "Jetstar Pacific to Start Vietnam - Macau Service from late-March 2014". Airline Route. 17 March 2014. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- vietjetair-launches-new-route-to-bangkok-and-offers-free-seats - news - VietJetAir.com - Enjoy Flying!. VietJetAir.com. Retrieved on 2013-09-20.
- "Vietnam Airlines to Start Tokyo Haneda Service from July 2014". Airline Route. 25 February 2014. Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- QR Cargo to HAN
- Turkish Airlines Cargo Winter Schedule
- Airport information for VVNB at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.