Noi Bai International Airport
|Nội Bài International Airport
Sân bay Quốc tế Nội Bài
|Noi Bai International Airport|
|IATA: HAN – ICAO: VVNB
|Operator||Northern Airports Authority|
|Hub for||Air Mekong
|Elevation AMSL||39 ft / 12 m|
|Airfreight movements in tonnes|
Nội Bài International Airport (IATA: HAN, ICAO: VVNB) (Vietnamese: Sân bay Quốc tế Nội Bài) in Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam, is the largest airport in the north of the country. It is 28 miles (45 km) from the city centre. The travel time from the city centre is 30–45 minutes.
The airport area is small compared to the other two international airports in Vietnam. As of December 2011, a larger international terminal (T2, with a capacity of 16 million passengers per annum) has been planned for Hanoi, and loans for its construction have been secured, land compensation is under way.
It has a new 3,800-meter paved runway (CAT II - 11R/29L - Opened in August 2006) and an older 3,200-meter paved runway (CAT I -11L/29R)
The distance between the two runways is only 250 metres, so the airport has a maximum capacity of 10 million passengers a year in accordance with International Civil Aviation Organisation safety regulations.
||This section is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (April 2011)|
- January 2, 1978: Airport opened.
- October 10, 2001: The new “Terminal One” began operation.
- April 7, 2005: Tiger Airways started thrice-weekly flights between Hanoi and Singapore after launching direct flights between Hồ Chí Minh City and Singapore on April 1, 2005. Tiger Airways became the first budget airline to operate in Vietnam.
- October 17, 2005: Low-cost carrier AirAsia launched direct flights between Hanoi and Bangkok. It is the second budget airline serving Vietnam after Tiger Airways.
- August 2006: The second runway(1B - 11R/29L) opened
- September 2, 2007: An Airbus A380 landed at Nội Bài.
- Since mid-2010, Nội Bài has been a hub for SkyTeam; Vietnam Airlines joined the network in 2010.
In 2010, the airport received approximately 9.5 million passengers, which made it overloaded, and accounted for one-third of international departures and arrivals at Vietnam’s three international airports. The designed capacity of the T1 terminal is 6 million passengers per annum.
Terminal, airlines and destinations 
As of December 2011, there was only one passenger terminal at Nội Bài Airport, but construction is in progress to build another (terminal 2 or T2 with designed capacity of 16 million passengers per annum; . As of July 2011, the following destinations were served from Hanoi:
Passenger Airlines 
Cargo airlines 
| style="width:50%; text-align:left; vertical-align:top;" |
|1||Ho Chi Minh City||270|
|3||Hue (suspended)||0 (resumption possible Nov 2013)|
|5||Buon Ma Thuot||14|
|5||Da Lat||14 (+7 begins 07 December)|
See also 
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Noi Bai International Airport|
- ”A new international airport for the North ?” on Ha Noi Moi News online, 11 February 2007 [dead link]
- Internal aviation is overloaded
- QR Cargo to HAN
- Turkish Airlines Cargo Winter Schedule
- Airport information for VVNB at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.