Nokia PC Suite
||This article may have too many section headers dividing up its content. (November 2013)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009)|
Nokia PC Suite Main window
|Stable release||22.214.171.124 (See note) / 26 June 2012|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
It can be used to transfer music, photos and applications. It can also be used to send Short Message Service (SMS) messages or act as a modem to connect the computer to the Internet. A mobile phone can be connected by USB, Bluetooth, or infrared. Nokia PC Suite is closed-source software and is required to access certain aspects of Nokia handsets.
Nokia PC Suite has not been updated for some time, and was replaced by Nokia's next generation phone suite software, Nokia Suite, which supported other platforms in addition to Windows. Nokia Suite drops the Lotus Notes client sync support which is present in Nokia PC Suite, instead requiring the user to use Lotus Notes Traveler software which must be installed and maintained on the Lotus Notes server- that is, synchronization using PC Suite works from the phone to the user's PC, synchronisation on a phone which has Nokia Suite must use third party software (such as Lotus Notes Traveler which works from the phone to the server).
Support for old phones is removed occasionally from the program. The official site supplies a table that matches each phone model with the latest release that supported it (up to and including the latest general release).
The following applications and features are included into the latest version of Nokia PC Suite:
- Nokia Communication Centre for controlling contacts, contact groups, messages and a full calendar (v7.1+).
- Memory view (v7.1+).
- Battery view and control and low-battery alert (v7.1+).
- Pop up notification for incoming calls and messages (v7.0+). Ability to initiate and answer calls (v7.1+).
- Direct quick handling of the cell phone's calendar (v7.0+).
- Nokia PC Sync for contacts, calendar, notes, to-d
- Nokia Content Copier for backup and restore * Nokia Application Installer for installing Java and Symbian applications
- Nokia File Manager for file transfer
- Nokia Contacts for contacts (replaced with Nokia Communication Centre in v7.1)
- Nokia Messages for messages handl
The backup functionality uses a non-documented binary file format (.nbu), which can only be used to restore to a phone. This means that the data can only be accessed by doing a restore to a working phone. Third-party programs (either commercial or free) can be used to read the file, but they greatly vary in the amount of information they can retrieve.
Nokia PC Sync
Software supported by Nokia PC Sync
Nokia PC Sync makes it possible to synchronize contacts, calendar, notes, to-do items, e-mails, bookmarks and files/folders between a supported Nokia mobile phone and:
- Microsoft Outlook 2000-2007 (Outlook 2010 x64 doesn't work with PC Suite at the moment,but its possible to sync via Nokia Suite (tested with 3.1 and E71). Office 2010 x86 does, but is not officially supported.)
- Microsoft Outlook Express / Windows Address Book
- Lotus Organizer 5.0-6.0
- Lotus Notes 5.x-8.x
- Microsoft Windows Vista Contacts
- Microsoft Windows Vista Calendar
- Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox bookmarks
- Windows 2000/XP files/folders
PC Sync 126.96.36.199 contained a major bug which truncates street addresses which have been edited on the PC to run over more than one line, when synchronised back to the phone. In this way it was possible to lose large parts of your contacts address information.
Nokia PC Suite can not add or update maps and voices for the Nokia Maps application. This requires Nokia Map Loader or Nokia Suite, which both require Microsoft Windows with Microsoft .NET framework installed. However, it is possible to download maps for Nokia Maps without need for Nokia Map Loader or Nokia Suite by pointing a web browser directly to the map files on Nokia's Maps server.
- Available hard disk space: 250 MB (file size approx 25 MB)
- Operating system:
- Connection methods: USB cable, Bluetooth, or infrared
- Supported Bluetooth software (Bluetooth stacks):
- OpenSync (software) - Open Source synchronization framework
- noki - an explorer for Nokia PC Suite backup file (.nbu, .nfb, .nfc, .arc - sd card backup file and contacts.cdb - symbian contact database foramat)
- iNoki - an iPhone app for transfer Nokia PC Suite backup file to iPhone & iPad
- Series60-Remote - An alternative for S60-based mobile phones for Linux, Mac OS X and Windows
- Microsoft Phone Data Manager - an alternative to Nokia PC Suite (though you may still need to install Nokia PC Suite to get the Bluetooth drivers (and then possibly uninstall to remove it afterwards))
- NBU Explorer - free alternative to read NBU files
- Nokinux - Nokia PC Suite on Linux