The Church of Sweden adopted, at the time that it was still a state church, an administrative structure largely modelled after the state. Direct elections are held to national (Kyrkomötet), Diocese (Stift), Community (Samfällighet) and Parish (Församling) assemblies. The electoral system is the same as used in the parliamentary or municipal elections. In some cases the nationwide political parties take part in the church elections, In other cases individual members of political parties form separate associations to launch candidatures in the church elections. In general terms one can say that the former category consist of parties with historical base in the church whereas the latter consist of political tendencies that have historically been more alien to it, either as a result of secularism (Left and Greens) or being based in the so-called Free Churches (Liberals and Christian Democrats). A growing phenomena are various 'non-partisan' groups putting up candidatures.
Establishing a nominating group 
In order to form a nominating group must apply to have formed and you have to have some support from the voters. The support is confirmed by collecting signatures from eligible voters.
There is a minimum:
- 10 persons entitled to vote in support of elections at the local level (church council or directly elected church council)
- 100 persons entitled to vote in support of elections at the regional level (stiftsfullmäktige)
- 300 persons entitled to vote in support of elections at the national level (Church Assembly)
For nomination groups set up at local or regional level, the application, with signatures, to be pin board in the current legislation provided by 15 May election.
For nomination groups set up at national level, the application, together with signatures, to be Church Council, provided by 15 May election.
A nomination group that is registered in the elections to the national level, is also simultaneously registered for the election at the regional and local levels. Similarly, a nomination group that is registered for the elections at the regional level while registered for the elections at the local level.
Nominating groups 
List of nominating groups participating in the 2005 elections:
- Political parties
- Nominating groups linked to political parties
- Other groups
Politiska partier i kyrkovalet 2009 
- Levande Kyrkas i kyrkovalet i Stockholms domkyrkoförsamling
- Levande Kyrka i kyrkovalet i Varbergs församling
- Frimodig Kyrkas webbplats