From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up nomos in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Nomos or Nomoi may refer to:
- the Greek term for "law" (νόμος, nómos; pl. νόμοι, nómoi). It is the origin of the suffix -onomy, as in astronomy, economy, or taxonomy.
- custom, traditional social norm, the equivalent of Latin Mores
- Nomos (music), in early Greek culture, the traditional melody types used by the singer for the recitation of the epics, and all-known melody types used by citharedes and auletes in musical contests.
- Nomos (mythology), "the spirit of law" in Greek mythology
- Nomos (sociology), "meaningful orders or worldviews of individuals" in Peter L. Berger's sociology of religion
- the Greek νομός, meaning "pasture, field; division, distribution; district, province"
-- The nouns nómos and nomós both derive from the verb νέμω, némō, to dispense or to allot, with nomós being the result of allotment and nómos being the manner of allotment or dispensing (justice).
Company and product names
- Nomos (video game), a video game that was in development by Coded Illusions
- NOMOS-BANK, a Russian bank
- Nomos Glashütte, a German watchmaking company
- Nomos-Uhr-Gesellschaft, Guido Müller & Co., a German watch company from 1906-1910
- Nomos, a publication of the American Society for Political and Legal Philosophy
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Nomos.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.