|Industry||Diversified industries, mainly
Financial Management Consulting
Oil & Gas
|Founded||Osaka, Japan (December 25, 1925 )|
|Headquarters||Nihonbashi, Chuo, Tokyo, Japan|
|Key people||Koji Nagai
|Employees||27,000 (2011) |
Nomura Group (野村グループ Nomura Gurūpu ) formerly Nomura zaibatsu (野村財閥), is a Japanese multinational conglomerate, or zaibatsu of financial services, financial management consulting companies and related organisations, headquartered in the Nihombashi district of Tokyo, Japan. Nomura Group is the global marketing name of Nomura Holdings, Inc. (Tokyo) and its direct and indirect subsidiaries worldwide.
Nomura Holdings hit the global headlines in October 2008, when it acquired most of Lehman Brothers Asian operations together with its European equities and investment banking units. The group is involved in numerous industries, from oil and gas to construction, chemicals and fast-moving consumer goods, as well as what it is known for internationally – the provision of investment, financing and related services to corporations, financial institutions, individuals, and governments and governmental agencies worldwide.
Origins to 2001
The history of Nomura Group begins on December 25, 1925, when the Nomura Securities Co., Ltd. (NSC) was established in Osaka, as a spin-off from Securities Dept. of Osaka Nomura Bank Co., Ltd (the present day Resona Bank). NSC initially focused on the bond market. It was named after its founder Tokushichi Nomura II, a wealthy Japanese stockbroking tycoon. He had earlier established Osaka Nomura bank in 1918, based on the Mitsui zaibatsu model with a capital of ¥10 million. Like the majority of Japanese conglomerate, or zaibatsu, its origins were in Osaka, but today operates out of Tokyo. NSC gained the authority to trade stock in 1938, and went public in 1961.
2001 to present
On October 1, 2001 Nomura adopted a holding company structure and Nomura Holdings, Inc. was established. Nomura makes most of its profits in the Japanese retail banking market, but has expanded its international investment banking capabilities. Instinet Incorporated was acquired in February 2007.
In October 2008, Nomura acquired most of Lehman Brothers Asian operations together with its European equities and investment banking units to make one of the world's largest independent investment banks with Y20,300bn (£138bn) assets under management. In April 2009, the global headquarters for investment banking was moved out of Tokyo to London as part of a strategy to move the company's focus from Japan to global markets.
Nomura sponsors research at Oxford University into mathematical techniques for use in finance including stochastic analysis, option pricing, stochastic optimal control, interest rate modelling and through the Nomura Centre for Mathematical Finance
The Nomura Group is involved in diversified industries, such as oil and gas, construction, chemicals and fast-moving consumer goods, but internationally the group is known as a financial services, financial management consultancy group, through the global presence of its holding company - Nomura Holdings, Inc. & its direct, indirect subsidiaries.
It has offices located throughout the world and employs more than 27,000 professionals. The group is headquartered in Tokyo and has the following geographical divisions:
- Japan division, (based in Tokyo)
- Americas division, (based in New York)
- EMEA division, (based in London)
- Asia ex-Japan division, (based in Hong Kong)
The group comprises the holding company, Nomura Holdings, Inc. together with its direct, indirect subsidiaries and related organisations in Japan and overseas. As a keiretsu, Nomura Holdings, Inc. does not directly run member companies, rather it keeps a controlling stake of cross shareholdings and manages financial assistance among member companies which help to deflect hostile takeovers.
- Nomura Holding America Inc., operates as a subsidiary of Nomura Holdings, Inc.
- Nomura Europe Holdings plc, operates as a subsidiary of Nomura Holdings, Inc.
- Nomura Asia Holding N.V., operates as a subsidiary of Nomura Holdings, Inc.
- Nomura Securities Co., Ltd., operates as a subsidiary of Nomura Holdings, Inc.
- Nomura Asset Management Co., Ltd.
- The Nomura Trust & Banking Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Babcock & Brown Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Capital Investment Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Investor Relations Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Principal Finance Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Funds Research And Technologies Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Research & Advisory Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Business Services Co., Ltd.
- Nomura Facilities, Inc.
- Nomura Institute of Capital Markets Research
- Nomura India Services Pvt. Ltd.
- Nomura Healthcare
- Nomura Private Equity Capital
- Unified Partners
- Nomura Agri Planning & Advisory
- Instinet Inc.
Marketing and branding
The marketing slogan of Nomura is “Just say Nomura”.
- Tokushichi Nomura II
- Nomura Holdings
- Resona Bank
- List of conglomerates
- List of Japanese companies
- List of banks in Japan
- List of asset management firms
- List of Investment Banks
- "Nomura Group -Management Structure".
- "Nomura Group - Board Of Directors".
- "Nomura Group - Executive Managing Directors".
- "Nomura Group". Retrieved 17 jan 2012.
- "Nomura Group info from Nomura official Website". Retrieved 30 May 2010.
- "Nomura Group - conglomerate of financial services in Tokyo, Japan". Retrieved 17 jan 2012.
- ""Nomura Group" info from Nomura Securities page of investmentbanksguide.com/nomura+securities". Retrieved 17 jan 2012.
- ""Nomura Group" is the global marketing name of Nomura Holdings, Inc. (Tokyo) and its direct and indirect subsidiaries worldwide". Retrieved 17 jan 2012.
- "Nomura Group Company history on Nomura Asia Pacific Webpage". Retrieved 17 jan 2012.
- "Nomura Group Company history on Nomura Holdings Inc. Webpage". Retrieved 17 jan 2012.
- "Nomura's founder, Tokushichi Nomura II from Nomura website". Retrieved 19 Jan 2012.
- "Nomura Securities Co., Ltd. Company info in LinkedIn". Retrieved 19 Jan 2012.
- "Nomura Company info in LinkedIn". Retrieved 19 Jan 2012.
- Core members of Nomura Group
- Nomura Holdings, Inc. Info on Bloomberg Businessweek
- Nomura Holding America, Inc Info on Bloomberg Businessweek
- "Nomura - Marketing Slogan".